Is a Control Plan Required for Receiving Inspection?

ControlPlan - HELP

We have been having a rather heated discussion the past few days pertaining to the actions that should be described on the control plan. In particular, receiving inspection and packaging and paccking.

The Question:
Is there a requirement to show the receiving and shippng inspection requirements on the Control Plan?

Example:
I am going to produce an assembly which contains is made up of 15 components. Should each one of these items be listed on the CP for receiving inspection?
And should I also shoew tthe assembly shipping requirements?

Please provide references , if possible.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

D.Scott

Sam

IMHO if it is part of the process, you need to cover it in the control plan.

Check page 33 of APQP - "In effect, the Control Plan describes the actions that are required at each phase of the process including receiving, in-process, out-going, and periodic requirements to assure that all process outputs will be in a state of control."

Dave

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I agree with Dave.

Is there a requirement to show the receiving and shippng inspection requirements on the Control Plan?
IMO, you're question defines what the Control Plan is all about (how you "control" your process).

Good luck!!!
Bill

Thnks for your input, But i'm losing the battle. My combatants are a handful of ex big 3 people. Their claim is that the only steps required on the control plan are those that are specified as significant characteristics. They cite the examples in the APQP manual as evidence.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

My combatants are a handful of ex big 3 people.
My sympathies!!!!!!!! (Your "signoff" says it all)

Your Control Plan(s) will be nothing more than a piece of paper and have absolutely no value to your operation. That may sound pretty strong but, IMO, it is the truth (Does that mean your PFMEA only addresses "SCs" also??).

I'm not trying to force my opinion on anyone but I have witnessed the potential value of "above and beyond" as opposed to "meeting" the guidelines set forth in the AIAG manuals (it's also very nice to hear the auditor tell you they are "impressed" with the effort put forth instead of everything being shot down with findings and observations).

One thought (and I'll get off the soapbox): Could the attitude of your "combatants" be one of the reasons the B3 aren't putting much of a dent (if any) in warranty claims???????? :rolleyes: :frust: :rolleyes:

Sorry, it seems to me I may be doing just a little venting (just got off the phone with one of my B3 SQEs). I don't mean to be directing anything at you, Sam.

Happy Holidays!!!!

Bill

M

mlowden

If your 'combatants' are already familiar with APQP, have them turn to page 79 - Appendix A-8, and reveiw the Control Plan Checklist. Item #6 pretty much answers your original question. I don't see how you could lose this one.

Good luck.

Bill, Iagree. I am having the same kind of day.

mlowden,
Tries that approach. The answer to the question is no , thew comment is "covered in receiving inspection instructions.
I have also read and re-read para 2.8 of the AOPQ,
"2.8 MATERIAL SPEIFICATIONS
In addition to drawings and performance specifications, material specifications shouild be reviewed for Special Characteristics relating to physical properties, performance, environmental, handling, and storage requirements. These characteristics should also be included in the control plan."
This statement seems clear to me, however I may be biased.
Others have said this only applies to SC's.

Happy Holiodays to all

D

Don Wood - 2011

Control Plan Scope

Your ex-Big 3 combatants are full of #$%#, and you can quote me on that. The intent of the Control Plan is identify ALL of the controls that can impact conformance to customer requirements - that is CLEARLY identified in the APQP manual. Anything less tells me that an organization is attempting to comply with the letter of the requirements (APQP and TS2) and not the intents - in other words, "malicious compliance".

This is so basic it's never come up even ONCE in our CB auditor cert classes. Ask your "buddies" if they're aware that 70% of GM's line-downs resulted from LABELING issues?

As far as I'm concerned, that's the end of the discussion. No wonder they're EX Big-3! :)

Don Wood
Licensed Plexus Trainer/TS 16949 Registrar Auditor Examiner

S
Don,
I agree on all counts, however, when one of these "gurus'" speaks its like "E. F, Hutten" everyone stands up and listens.
Anyway, I have resolved the problem. Not because I have convinced people that I am right. But, because the Ford Q1 checklist indicates that incoming quality is "an Expectation" to be addressed on the control plan.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Howard Atkins MSAs are now required on every feature of the control plan - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
Q Chrysler required FMEA and Control Plan Document Audit Forms and Process Audit Check FMEA and Control Plans 7
M Is listing all of our components on our control plan required? FMEA and Control Plans 2
K Process Control Plan and Inspection Plans - Receiving and final inspection required? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M When is control plan required? Remanufacturing and Repackaging Company FMEA and Control Plans 5
S TS 16949:2002 - Error Proofing Column Required in Control Plan II FMEA and Control Plans 22
S TS 16949 Clause 7.5.1.1 - Control Plan - Control Plans required for ALL processes? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4
E Change in control plan - Do I have to do sampling? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D All Dimensions listed on control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
G Control Plan - Include the processes for each sub component? APQP and PPAP 2
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
M Dynamic Control Plan Draft - need review FMEA and Control Plans 2
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Control Plan Authorizations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Control plan evaluation methods - Which methods should be carried over from the PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 3
Rameshwar25 What is a Control Plan at "Material Level"? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Control Plan - Multiple Process Steps FMEA and Control Plans 8
O Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
W Purchased Part Control Plan (IATF 16949) FMEA and Control Plans 7
J VDA audit, control plan - My hair is almost gone now VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
Jeff Putman EQI Prelaunch Control Plan - Definition Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
V How to Add Annual Revalidation requirements to Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
N Control plan references FMEA and Control Plans 6
L Simple Example for PFMEA / Control Plan Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
J Functional group / area responsible on a Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Should Testing be a separate operation in the Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
T IATF 16949 Control Plan and Process Monitoring Requirement(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Why Control Plan Review needs to be Approved by the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B PFMEA and Control Plan Links APQP and PPAP 2
A Corrective Action Column in Control Plan and aligning PFD, PFMEA and Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Control Plan MSA's - Pressure Gages IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Family / Generic type of FMEA & Control Plan and Symbols FMEA and Control Plans 3
V Do I need to add everything on print to control plan? FMEA and Control Plans 1
H Control plan example format for CNC machining activities FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Mention "according to Work Instruction" in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
W Does TS16949 require MSA on all measurement systems in the Control Plan? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Software for linking Process Flow Diagram, Process FMEA and Control Plan APQP and PPAP 9
S Attribute G&R for all Visual Controls in Control Plan Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
I Any recommendations on software for managing the APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, Control Plan etc? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
F What goes into a Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Tighter Tolerances than Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
elkel Control Plan Contents - Part Number / Latest Change Level FMEA and Control Plans 2
R Recording Control Plan Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3