Is a FAIR required on parts that we design?

Hello I'm new to the board and new to AS9100 standards. I currently work in quality at a small business ~180 employees. We are ISO 9001 certified but not AS9100. We have a customer who came to us for a design build. We designed and manufactured all parts in house. I am wondering if a FAIR is required on parts that we design, have our internal part numbers associated with them and are not related to customer designs. Management is saying these parts fall under COTS because they have our part numbers and the customer is ordering our parts, I think they should have a FAIR because they were specially designed for a customer. The customer will not own the designs. Management has already decided to not do FAIRs on the individual piece parts but do one just on the top level assembly. The major issue is that I am the one who has to deal with the customers quality department and try to explain my managements decision...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello I'm new to the board and new to AS9100 standards. I currently work in quality at a small business ~180 employees. We are ISO 9001 certified but not AS9100. We have a customer who came to us for a design build. We designed and manufactured all parts in house. I am wondering if a FAIR is required on parts that we design, have our internal part numbers associated with them and are not related to customer designs. Management is saying these parts fall under COTS because they have our part numbers and the customer is ordering our parts, I think they should have a FAIR because they were specially designed for a customer. The customer will not own the designs. Management has already decided to not do FAIRs on the individual piece parts but do one just on the top level assembly. The major issue is that I am the one who has to deal with the customers quality department and try to explain my managements decision...
Is your company pursuing AS9100? Are you asking about FAIR in accordance with AS9102? Do you currently have FAIRs required by aerospace customers?

As JSQCM said, if FAIR is required, it will be in the purchase order. FAIR may be required regardless of who is design responsible.

Last edited:

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
Verifying every single dimension and requirement of a new p/n on the first piece from the production process is a best practice, whether required by the customer or not. Some industries call it layout inspection, the auto industry made it part of PPAP, aerospace calls it FAIR. I consider this an important risk-reduction activity, and a bargain. The risk(s) you are guarding against can include any subtle error, like a dimension error on the released version the print checker missed, a subtle note no one thought to check, a mistyped catalog number by the supplier, a difference of interpretation of a GD&T callout, a sequence error made by the CNC programmer, the wrong drill size somebody typed in the work instruction, a nest insert inadvertently installed backwards, a label error or a packaging issue yet to be uncovered. Any one of these will eventually be discovered, but you could make a lot of scrap before a simple mistake is discovered. A full print verification is cheap insurance against all forms of human error.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Given that ISO 9001:2015 doesn't require performing first article inspection at all, one must first ask why it is being considered.

In AS9100D element 8.5.1.3 the second note states that this activity can be referred to as First Article Inspection. The title of 8.5.1.3 is Production Process Verification.

The opening line is "The organization shall implement production process verification activities to ensure the production process is able to produce parts that meet requirements"

The meat is in the next paragraph "The organization shall use a representative sample from the first production run or a new part or assembly to verify that the production process, production documentation, and tooling are able to produce parts and assemblies that meet requirements" Emphasis added.

THAT'S WHY!

Any comments about COTS or it's our own design are just diversionary horse manure.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S FAIR - If we have not produced a part in over 2 years, but nothing has changed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S New to FAIR, need help in filling it out AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
was named killer AS9100 FAIR - True Position hole out by .0011" on 50 parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
W FAIR to AS9102 additional documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R AS9102B - Do I need a new FAIR? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G Change Of Location FAIR Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Marc Fair Use - Brief excerpts of Copyrighted Material Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C AS9102 FAIR Form 1 Content Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
F 2 Year Part Re-Validation and FAIR Costs (Aerospace Parts) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q FAIR Requirement Flowdown to our PCB Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Customer Documentation Errors when completing an AS9102 FAIR AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
W AS9102 Requirements - What information from the PO should be included in the FAIR? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T AS9102 FAIR - Customer Drawing Revision Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C One sample piece from standard production? AS9102 FAIR questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
T What does an auditor review when auditing a AS9102 FAIR? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K AS9102 - Tolerance Block on Enginerering Drawings to Form 3 of AS 9102 FAIR AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
R Charge (Fair Prices) by a Consultant for a traditional 510k Review Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M FAIR Software Comparison II Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
W Is ITAR fair game for audit during AS9100 Registration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
H FAIR Software Comparison (Discus/Inspectionxpert/Visual FAIR) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
Wes Bucey Sometimes life just isn't fair! -"workplace drones" Career and Occupation Discussions 45
Q AS9100 and FAIR (First Article Inspection Report) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Wes Bucey SAE Virtual Job Fair - May 19, 2010 Career and Occupation Discussions 2
L 8.2.4.2 First Article Inspection - Does every new part that is run require a FAIR AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Wes Bucey Is this a fair rate of pay for this job listing? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
L It is fair and legal to let a customer to make an assessment audit based on other cus IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J PCDMIS Fair Populating Software, Anyone Use It ?? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Auto Fair for 2008 Beijing World News 3
N AS9102 Internet Service for Producing FAIR's to AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Trainees backing out when it comes to delivery - fair to ask for commitment letter? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 38
9 Adding responsibilities and getting fair compensation Career and Occupation Discussions 20
A What should be filled in FAIR (aerospace engineering services)? Clause 8.2.4.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A FAIR (First Article Inspection Report) for Engineering Services Organisations needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Notice Received from Customer Regarding PPAP's & FAIR's APQP and PPAP 8
Howard Atkins Initial sample approval guidelines - PPAP, FAIR, etc. for medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M New to aerospace quality and would like advice about FAIR requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Wes Bucey ASQ Training - Tough competition? Is it fair competition? Consultants and Consulting 14
J Customer ISO 14001 Supplier Requirements - Fair or not? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
J Do your own standard - I felt it was only fair to submit my own Registered Visitor Articles Archive 3
J R&R standards - <10% is good, 10-20% is fair, 20-30% is poor Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Point Cloud Technology Validation - Point Cloud to CAD model comparisons for FAIR General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R "Medical devices" required in scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
OpExPro AIAG VDA DFMEA Template Required FMEA and Control Plans 2
B PMA Supplement Required? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
F UDI-PI required on packaging (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Required tests for Surgical gown US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1