Is a lost calibrated tool an non-conformance for an audit?

We use a contract auditor to do our internal audit since we are a very small shop. During this last audit, the auditor wanted to look at 3 calibrated tools. One of the tools (a caliper) could not be located. The auditor is saying that is a non-conformance because the tool register is now out of date. I have records showing that this tool was used less than 5 days earlier. That is leading us to have to establish a process to make sure no tool was lost at the end of each day. But what would happen if the tool was lost on the morning of the audit? Do I now have to place RFID trackers all the tools so I know where they are at all time?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome Dan!

I would be interested in just how this nonconformance is to be worded.

What is your process for ensuring that only calibrated/verified tools are used to inspect product or influence essential characteristics if a tool goes missing?

What does your process say about your register?

My point is, the standard is asking that calibrated/verified tools are used. If you have made a procedure that locks you into more, I would suggest looking into that. Disclaimer: I work to 9001, not AS9100. I may be missing a detail here.

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
In the vast majority of the certification body audits I have been subjected to, the route taken is to identify a gauge at its point of use, records its type and serial number and trace it back through the calibration records to see if it is 1) in calibration and 2) traceable back to national standards.

If a measurement device is "in calibration" I couldn't give a monkeys chuff nut if it couldn't be located on demand at a specific moment in time, and I am unaware of anything in the ISO standards that says I should. (unless of course it is the only one of it's kind and vital to what is being produced, but in this case I am making the assumption it is one of many)

What happens if this calibrated item is a personally owned device, the device in question is in a personal locked cabinet and the person in question is on holiday or sick on the day of the audit? As far as I am aware, that is not an audit failure, how could it be. The device is in calibration and can't possibly be used so can't impact anything being produced anyway.

I would definitely challenge this and ask which clause or clauses of what standard this auditor thinks are not being met.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Chiming in late here, but I also agree. I would like to see the wording of the nonconformance statement. Challenge the auditor to find a measurement device on the floor that is NOT currently calibrated (unless as was mentioned earlier, the device in question is something unique which is necessary to perform measurements of some unique nature).

Auditors (particularly contract auditors) seem to always be looking for SOMETHING they can write up, to justify the cost of their services. They will often use the most stringent interpretation of the standard, without actual consideration for what the standard is actually trying to say.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
If the tool is one of several, I would not have done an NC.
If it is a unique tool that is needed to verify characteristics that nothing else can do, but product is being released anyway... I might consider it an NC if there is no deviation in place.
It also depends on what your procedures say so I can't really judge on if there is an NC or not with the info given. It's kind shady though.

I've had auditors that take the approach of pulling a few calibrated instruments from our log, and this is the primary danger of that technique - that a tool can't be located right away (might be locked in a person's tool box for example). I prefer when an auditor walks the floor and points out the tools he wants to see records for and I make that clear.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
As others have indicated, it's a bogus finding. "Show me the shall." There has to be a requirement for there to be a NC.

The standard's requirement to "maintain a register of the monitoring and measuring equipment" doesn't mean that the register can't be revised if one finds a tool has gone missing. As you say, if you audit it every day at the end of the day, it could go missing at 10 AM the next day and be audited as "missing" at 11 AM. Are you then to do hourly audits?

The good news is that it is an internal audit and you can say "you're wrong" and ignore the NC without further hassle.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I have a slight different take on this one. It is a valid finding, but not necessarily a nonconformity. Small organization means (typically) not resource-rich, what translates to a potential lack of back up device to make measurements. So, what happens if the caliber is not found when a measurement needs to be made? Use a tape measure, instead? Since this is AS9100 related, which applies to aviation, space & defense applications, precise measurements tend to be more critical than "commercial products".

What happens when/if the tool is found? Since the chain of custody is lost, can we assure that the previous calibration is still valid? Or should the organization mandatorily have it re-calibrated, upon recovery?

Audits, internal or external, provide insight on the organization. Even if we all agree that this is not a valid nonconformity, we should not simply disregard the issue. The loss of an inspection, measuring & test device is SIGNIFICANT, even more for a small organization. And the reasons for the loss and the consequences should be evaluated.

dwperron

Not really sure how it was determined that this is an AS9100D related issue, because there is no mention of AS9100D in the original post.
If it is an AS9100D audit, it could be a very picky finding:
"The organization shall maintain a register of the monitoring and measuring equipment. The register shall include
the equipment type, unique identification, location, and the calibration or verification method, frequency, and
acceptance criteria."
If it is not listed as lost in the register it could possibly be a finding. A stinky one, one that is almost impossible to avoid since you don't have a way of knowing when a tool gets misplaced, stolen, borrowed, etc., but a possible finding none the less.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Client lost copy of previous 513(g) submission package and responses US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
B Am so sorry but i am lost (Aerospace) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
Marc Have you Lost some "Points"? (16 August 2018) Forum News and General Information 4
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Calibration Recall - Lost Gages procedure example wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Jim Wynne GD&T Symbols: Lost in Translation Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
AnaMariaVR2 Consequences of lost cargo in pharma vs other industries Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
S Cost of business lost / opportunity lost? How to address? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
S ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.4 - Damaged or Lost Customer Property Record ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Sidney Vianna Cutting & Pasting via Google Chrome - hyperlinks are lost After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
J Completely Lost in QA - Not equipped for QA, QC, ISO, etc. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
S NADCAP Plater Lost its Accreditation - NADCAP bites us again AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
Marc The Christmas Jug Band - Santa Lost A Ho Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
S Contracted and Lost - Manufacture of a Patented Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
L Lost in the Post-Market Surveillance Clinical Follow-up EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Records of Measurement Equipment which is Lost or Withdrawn from Service General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Lost Cause for Understanding and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
R LOST the final episodes - May 2010 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T Notification of lost/damaged Customer Property - Customer Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
BradM The family lost a little friend today Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 52
A Corrective Action for lost project quality records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Gage Block In-House Calibration - Blocks lost and users keep exchanging blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Lost in spaghetti-shaped processes Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 48
Bev D Have we lost Reason with the presence of standards? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
Paul Simpson HMRC Article - Data Disks Lost - Bank records of 25 million UK subjects The Reading Room 2
J Sine Plate Charts - Someone lost the angle chart - Where can I get one? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Jen Kirley Data for 2.9 million Georgians lost Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
BradM Long-lost service instructions Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
R LOST...the TV show - Why have we never discussed "LOST"? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
C Control of Vernier Calipers - Calipers easily switched between operators and lost Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 16
Jim Wynne Lost in Translation - Computer translations of one language to another After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Q How many companies have lost their ISO 9001 registration involuntarily? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
K Lost Balloonist Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
G I am Lost - Trying to implement an ISO 9001:2000 QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
T Gage R&R Excel .xls form and SPC Xbar and R template (lost it.. ) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 13
S Supplier lost QS certificate and gave no notification Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Wes Bucey A High Reliability Manager's Nightmare - The Lost Screw Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
H Lost gages and controlled instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Transition of Quality Management - Recently lost our Quality Manager Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
CarolX Integrity lost? Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000 'Keepers' Profit from their books Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 42
L TQM Master's Thesis: Now I'm Lost Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 12
P Lot Integrity - Process Steps where Identification is Lost (eg.: Quench) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
D Filling totes and pails - when is a calibrated scale / flowmeter required in ISO 9001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Requirements for ANSI Z540.3 Compliance as End User of Calibrated Instruments AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
R Transferring a calibrated counting scale to a sister company Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
J Gear Surface Finish - Print with the word "calibrated" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M What kind of instrument that must be calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Can calibrated device values be used instead of manufacturers spec? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Where to obtain a calibrated DICOM image? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1