Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Is a Manufacturer's Certification good enough or is ISO 17025 Certification required

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
So here is the situation; in selling new testing tools; GO/NOGO Gages; Reference Connectors; specialized machines...

Is the certification of the original manufacturer acceptable; or is the certification only acceptable if it is ISO 17025 registered?

It seems to me that ISO 17025 is a certification level achieved by calibration laboratories, not manufacturers.

Is there a provision in some specification (ISO 9000 or ISO 17025) which allows an ISO 9000 manufacturer to issue a certification acceptable to ISO 17025 minded people without the manufacturer also becoming ISO 17025 registered?

Re: Is a Manufactur's certification good enough or is an ISO 17025 certification requ

Wayne: It's going to depend on what the manufacturer understands by calibration! I once encountered a brake test unit which, when asked, the manufacturer said "It self calibrates"...

Well, maybe, but when we put on on the brake pedal and it's supposed to push 50# for 5 mins without any reduction (a brake leak) then it had better read accurately!

So, if the supplier can give you the "right numbers", they may not have to be accredited to ISO/IEC 17025. If they can, however, you might question, why aren't they?

Rustedamy

Starting to get Involved
Re: Is a Manufactur's certification good enough or is an ISO 17025 certification requ

Wayne: The level of acceptable calibration depends on to what standard the purchaser is being held.
For example, we are an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory so our external calibrations must be performed by an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited calibration laboratory. This is a requirement of our accreditation body.
If a manufacturer can offer me a product with an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited calibration certificate at point of sale it saves me from having to purchase the product then send it immediately out for an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited calibration.
Any provisions for the acceptability of an ISO 9000 certified manufacturer's ISO/IEC 17025 "compliant" calibration would come from the certifying/ accrediting body rules governing acceptable calibration and traceability.

Re: Is a Manufacturer's Certification good enough or is ISO 17025 Certification requi

The ISO 9001 (not ISO 9000) requires that the calibration be done against a standard that is traceable to an international or national standard (usually NIST in the United States). The calibration company does not need to be accredited to ISO 17025, which goes above and beyond what ISO 9001 requires.

The automotive standard (ISO/TS 16949) does require that an ISO 17025 calibration company be used. AS9100 does not.

There are many good reasons to use a calibration company that is accredited to ISO 17025 though. I would consider it to be a best practice even when not required.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: Is a Manufacturer's Certification good enough or is ISO 17025 Certification requi

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask: Do you manufacture the tools or are you a reseller?

If you are a reseller, the External Laboratory sub-element 7.6.3.2 does not apply because the responsibility is placed upon the manufacturer.

7.6.3.2 of TS 16949 requires 17025 for external/commercial/independent laboratories, so if you are performing calibrations for tools you manufacture then yes your laboratory needs to be accredited to 17025 or its equivalent. I would like to add that I have seen very few certificates with new tools that would pass an audit under 7.6 because the traceability was almost always missing. Sometimes the little certificates say "certificate of accuracy" but specify they are not evidence of calibration. Other people's experiences may vary. Anyway, this tends to indicate to me the internal laboratory at the manufacturer may not be 17025 accredited so the buyer is responsible to have the tools verified by a qualified lab before they are used to evaluate product acceptance.

However, there is a clause that says you can have evidence your customer accepts the laboratory instead of 17025 accreditation. This is not practical for a manufacturer of inspection equipment who sells to resellers, who then sell to whomever without having the chance to approve your laboratory.

I hope this helps!

Top Bottom