Is a Quality Representative (Management Representative) Designee Required?

ValleyCoater

Starting to get Involved
This is my first post. We operate a small coating company.

An observation from a recent audit was that there is no Quality Representative designee. Is this required?

Thanks,

ValleyCoater

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Quality Representative designee

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

Just curious; what kind of an audit was this?
What Standard applies to your organization?

If ISO 9001 applies; then yes, a Management Representative is required.

Stijloor.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource

An observation from a recent audit was that there is no Quality Representative designee. Is this required?

Thanks,

ValleyCoater
Hi ValleyCoater - welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

Was this a customer audit, or something else?

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks,

ValleyCoater
Regardless of the standard use to measure your system against, a member of management should be assigned the responsibility for your quality system. Who is responsible now? You stated that this was an observation and not a "Finding" or "non-conformance". I'm assuming this was an audit or survey by a customer since an organization cannot become registered to any of the ISO 9001 based systems without a Management Representative being established.

ValleyCoater

Starting to get Involved

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

Just curious; what kind of an audit was this?
What Standard applies to your organization?

If ISO 9001 applies; then yes, a Management Representative is required.

Stijloor.
Thanks for responding. Sorry I was not that clear. The auditor (customer) stated that a person must be assigned to act in place of the Quality Representative in the event that the
QR was not present. He was using ISO 9001:2008. We do have a Quality Representative.

ValleyCoater

Starting to get Involved

Regardless of the standard use to measure your system against, a member of management should be assigned the responsibility for your quality system. Who is responsible now? You stated that this was an observation and not a "Finding" or "non-conformance". I'm assuming this was an audit or survey by a customer since an organization cannot become registered to any of the ISO 9001 based systems without a Management Representative being established.
Thank you for the reply. We do have a Quality Representative. I was not clear. The auditor (customer) using 9001:2008 indicated that the Quality Representative must have a designee in the event the QR was not present. I just do not want to add complexity
by having a designated "stand-in" and did not think it a requirement.
Thanks again for your comments

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks for responding. Sorry I was not that clear. The auditor (customer) stated that a person must be assigned to act in place of the Quality Representative in the event that the
QR was not present. He was using ISO 9001:2008. We do have a Quality Representative.
Yes, ISO 9001:2008 requires a Management Representative (MR). But there is no requirement that a "designee" must be appointed in the event the MR is not present during an audit. In a well-managed Quality Management System, each process owner and their employees should be able to respond to the auditor's questions...;)

Stijloor.

ValleyCoater

Starting to get Involved

Hi ValleyCoater - welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

Was this a customer audit, or something else?
Customer audit. The auditor wants us to have a person designated as a stand in in the event that the Quality Representative (which we have) is not present. I thought it not necessary. We are ISO 9001-2008, and I do not think this is necessary, unless a case of prolonged absence that would interfere with quality issues.
As an aside, I am very impressed with the responses, and the time to get a response on the Elsmar Cove Forum. Thank You!

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Customer audit. The auditor wants us to have a person designated as a stand in in the event that the Quality Representative (which we have) is not present. I thought it not necessary. We are ISO 9001-2008, and I do not think this is necessary, unless a case of prolonged absence that would interfere with quality issues.
As an aside, I am very impressed with the responses, and the time to get a response on the Elsmar Cove Forum. Thank You!
You're very welcome! :agree1:

Please tell your Friends about this great resource...:tg:

Stijloor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Quality Management Representative confusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Difference between being a Management Representative and being a Lead Quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M New QMR (Quality Management Representative) in need of advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Quality Management Representative - Does the QMR HAVE to be a member of management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Work as a QMR (Quality Management Representative) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
Z Involvement of Management representative (ISO 3834) in Quality Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
G Must the QMS Management Representative be part of the quality department? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 23
L ISO 9001 Quality Management Representative Qualifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A Accredited Quality Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Management Representative vs. Quality Representative vs. Quality Manager ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Role of Quality Manager / Quality Management System Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
A Authorities of QMR (Quality Management Representative) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q 5.5.2 Management Representative - Can I be held responsible for all quality matters? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Who should quality representative report to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Quality Representative and I dont know how to Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
ScottK Opening for Manager, Supplier Quality Engineering on my team- Orangeburg, NY - On-site Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
S Quality and Technology Roadmaps Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
T Organization and personnel problems with quality Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
M Is On-Time Delivery a Quality Objective? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
E Where can i get latest toyota and honda Supplier Quality Assurance Manual (SQAM) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
C Quality keynote speakers Consultants and Consulting 6
M AS9100 examples of procedures, quality manual, etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
K Size of Quality Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
A Quality and Safety in one. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N What quality training do you suggest? Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
J Average number of Nonconformances during internal quality audit for Medical Device Manufacturers Internal Auditing 3
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Accreditation Matters: Our Role in The Quality Infrastructure ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
qualprod Do sum of results of quality objectives should met a high level goal? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q What are Quality Requirements for Design? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
R Quality System Software AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Is there any value in monthly quality reporting? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
R Authorities of Quality Manager IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
GStough Audit Nonconformances (?) for Suppliers Not Registered to ISO and No Supplier Quality Agreement Exists General Auditing Discussions 24
C Supplier Audit - Looking for a quality audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 3
A How would a candidate for Quality Systems Manager role answer questions in a med device manufacturing org ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F EU MDR Quality Plan template CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Quality Manager and Production Manager Advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
T What is a Quality Management System? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
FRA 2 FDA Product NCRs- Quality Review Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
W Posting Non-Quality System instructions on the Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
CaliperJim Cost of Quality calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Cats Clause Certified Quality Systems Ltd (CQS) accredited by International Accreditation Board Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
T Quality toolbox decision tree Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Sidney Vianna A young Steve Jobs take on Quality, Marketing & Business Processes. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
hogheavenfarm Free Quality Professional Books Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 11
T Stellantis supplier quality manual Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
lyobovnik Work From Home Exception for Quality Managers? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
T Accreditations as part of 9001 - Quality checks on your company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Product Quality Review API-GMP Manufacturing and Related Processes 0