Is a reading room a good idea for the Elsmar Cove?

WALLACE

Quite Involved in Discussions
With the many truly professional contributors to the cove:
Does the group think it would be a good idea to have a reading room library section within the Cove forums?
I'm particularly reading a lot more e-books on the web these days. I believe this kind of arrangement would suit the current and future developing needs of many contributors to the cove.
The knowledge and information exchange that is currently processed at the cove, doesn't have much copyright issues attached (For the most part).

E-books however may have copyright issues attached.
I'm thinking of authors such as Craig Cochran and Allan Sayle, who may assist in the set-up of such an initiative at the Cove.
I understand copyright may be an issue: I do however realize we could have an arrangement with respective publishers and authors to have a "read only" from source material links at the cove.
This arrangement may also help to maintain the cove.
Any suggestions?
Wallace.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I like the idea. Copyright is always a concern, but anyone could violate a copyright in paper books as well as digitally so I am not unhinged by this notion.

It is very difficult to get a book published, so perhaps some of our members would like to contribute articles or portions to a larger e-work. If there is already such a venue, I'm not familiar with it; perhaps I am not curious enough or it is not something I recognize so I can seek it out--I don't know which.

The best thing would be if e-submitters could gain publicity sufficient to advance from this venue to becoming published in paper form. I would enjoy this for both bringing in income and finding an agent: another challenging aspect of knowledge transfer.

ccochran

Southern Gentleman
Wallace and Jennifer,

Great idea. The monthly article contest ran out of gas, but I think this could be a vehicle for folks who are still interested in writing articles and/or books. I guess we'll see what Marc and others think about it.

Craig

WALLACE

Craig, Jennifer.
If this is a good idea: what should the reading room be called.
The name: "Reading room" may be an ideal name yet, that's just my take.
Suggestions anyone??
Wallace.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I, too, like the idea but like any good library has, will there be a 'filing system' so to speak? Will items be placed in a particular order or in categories to help us sift through material?

Wes Bucey

RCBeyette said:
I, too, like the idea but like any good library has, will there be a 'filing system' so to speak? Will items be placed in a particular order or in categories to help us sift through material?
You write, of course, of the topic "Electronic Document Management" wherein we consider factors like
  • approval for insertion into the system,
  • validation of the content, and
  • retrieval when and if needed.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'll look through the 'hacks' forum and see if there's something that might be useful.

But - you do know that when you are in a forum, viewing all the threads in that forum, you can arrange the threads by Title, for instance, by clicking the appropriate column label:

Sort_Forum_Threads_By.png

By Date (Last Post) is the default. I haven't seen a way to change the default view. Also, look at the green arrow by Last Post - click the green arrow to reverse the order.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc The "Reading Room" forum is still here The Reading Room 5
A Federal 700B-26 Gage Block Comparator is not reading properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
O Supply chain strategy or commodity strategy reading recommendations Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
L Procedure for Comparing the Monitor Reading with Laboratory Result Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
N Correct reading for analog pressure gauge ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
F DMM - Capacitance - +/- % of reading + digits? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
E Uncertainty Budget with a mixture of kg and % Reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
C ISO 9001 Reading Material for Service/Small Organisations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
AnaMariaVR2 Vacation Reading: Summer Book Report The Reading Room 0
O How can I use reading from calibration certificate in measurement Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
K Is reading the Elsmar Cove a legitimate work related activity Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
J Calibration of Micrometer Reading up to Three Decimals General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Please recommend preparatory reading for AS9100 Rev C Lead Assessor Course AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
I ISO 9001:2008 Reading Material - Financial KPO with customers from all over the world ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Blueprint Reading Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
E Absolute to Relative Uncertainty - Expressing the U as a percent of the reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
S Feedback from reading Jennifer Kirley's suggested 'motivation' reading links The Reading Room 2
S Aversion of reading The Reading Room 7
K Technicians Mis-reading Vernier Micrometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G Try reading this - A real brain teaser Brain Teasers and Puzzles 16
F Reading recommendation for ISO 9001, please Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
C UUT resolution and reporting uncertainty for each reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
G Calibrating a reflectometer - Scale uncertainty with reading? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
R Copy of TS16949:1999 for reading purpose IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Proofreading System (CCD camera reading labels) vs. 21 CFR part11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
S Should we consider Precision of Machine Reading when setting Inspection Specs? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Crusader Who has a 'Kindle' electronic reading device? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Govind What is a Proof Reading Ratio? Japanese Customer Questionnaire General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Cl 8.2 Monitoring and measurement - articles & related reading material? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Need Help Reading Engineering Drawings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
Q Blueprint reading, Implied use? Drawing shows an implied orientation Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
ScottK Reading the writing on the wall in regard to your position, are you good at it? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
Crusader Layered Process Audits - Recommended Reading? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 24
K Applicability of P Chart & U Chart - After encoding data I get no reading Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M Are laptops part of ME SYSTEMS? Reading of IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Reading Gauge Output Into Excel .xls - Mitutoyo digital plunger type depth gauges Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
B Star Wars Books - Anyone Else read/reading them? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
1 Anybody have a a Template or Boilerplate for "Basic Blueprint Reading"? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
Claes Gefvenberg Reading ability - The prospective auditor could not read Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 25
T QPD (Quality Policy Deployment) reading recomendations? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
K Crystal Ball Methodology - reading customers' minds? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
apestate Recommended Reading List - Research and reading on the subject of quality Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
N Any recommended further reading for ISO/IEC 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
N Blueprint reading training - Does anybody have any recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
D Funnies - You are not reading this Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
D Measuring Instruments - Training employees on reading measuring instruments Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
V Manufacturing requirements for respiratory ventilators - clean room required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
O Inventory control ideas - I have an open stock room with a "sign out" book Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1