Is a Removable Partial Denture classified as Class I Medical Device?

tehuff

Involved In Discussions
Hi - looking for clarification of device classification for a Removable Partial Denture. It is worn for years, but taken out for cleaning, at night, etc.
I am looking at Rule 5 which lists Materials for manufacturing dentures as Class I but not sure this is the correct interpretation. Are "materials for manufacturing dentures" classed differently than "dentures"?
Long term use, in the oral cavity as far as the pharynx, falls in Class IIa per this same rule (Rule 5).

Is the wearing time cumulative over the life of the device? Is a removable denture considered a short or long-term (>30 days) use?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Is the Removable Partial Denture classified as Class I device?

Hi, thats a difficult question! My initial reaction was that they should be IIa. I believe "Materials for manufacturing dentures" refers to materials for making impressions, which would be short term, so class 1. The EU Guidance on classification talks about immediatley replacing a device with the same type of device as extending the use to continuous. so I would say, removing the denture, cleaning and relacing it does not interupt its use; making the denture long term, so Class IIa.

However..... there is an NIST guidance document for MDD Classification that places removalbe dentures as class 1. http://gsi.nist.gov/global/docs/EUGuide_MedicalDvceDirective.pdf

The GHTF guidance also places removable dentures as class A, although that is a very slightly different system.

A last resort is to see what your competitors do. If their labelling contains a Notified Body number, then its IIa, if they just have a plain CE Mark, the device is class I.

As is so often the case with the MDD, talk to your Notified Body about it. The NIST guidance may be convincing to a US NB. Ultimately they are the ones that will make the decision.

pkost

I would say that EU considers this to be Class I on the basis that the dentures are cleaned daily in an overnight process. Although they are used for many years, continuous use is defined as:

In calculating the duration referred to in Section 1.1 of Chapter I,
continuous use means ‘an uninterrupted actual use of the device for the
intended purpose’. However where usage of a device is discontinued in
order for the device to be replaced immediately by the same or an identical
device this shall be considered an extension of the continuous use of the
device.
You can argue that if the denture is being washed/cleaned it is not immediately replaced, therefore rule5 short term (<30 days continuous use) applies

Do we know for sure that people don't sleep with their dentures in their mouth? That would make a case for continuous use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pkost

This wouldn't impact continuous use because classification is driven by the use intended by the manufacturer, not the misuse by an end user

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrisx

Involved In Discussions

I thought these were generally custom devices, as they are designed to fit a specific patient. As such, they are excluded from conformity assessment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Full or Partial FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Partial FAI - AS9102 -One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S IATF 16949 - Partial traceability of Aftermarket products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S CTS/CSE Waveforms Testing - Partial Recognition of IEC 60601-2-25 Standard by FDA IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B AS9102 - Completing Partial FAI's for Baseline Part Numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
P AS9102 full FAl or a partial FAI after production inactivity period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Non ASTM Partial Immersion LGT emergent stem correction General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Partial Design Validation and changes to a critical supplier 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q Partial non applicability of ISO 9001 Cl. 7.1.5 (not having services)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Use of Harmonised Standards (Full or Partial) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Partial Implementation of ISO 9001 in a Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M "Partial Design" Designation and Applicable ISO 9001:2015 Exemptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S When to switch from a Partial AS9102 back to a Full AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Partial Compliance to an ISO Standard for Medical Device CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 13
K Partial FAI on Semi-Complete Parts question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Can we do a Partial Gamma Validation on a Similar Product (Syringes) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Partial Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Delivery Inspection. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D Delta or Partial FAI (First Article Inspection) - What are the differences? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Partial FAI form requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D Partial ISO TS 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
A Classification of Medical Device with Partial Compliance with a particular standard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
P Part 11 Hybrid System - Partial paper based record but with e-signature Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
J AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) Full or Partial - Changes to NC programming Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S Error Accumulation - Combined Result without going to Partial Derivitaves Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
B Partial Joint (Hip Prosthesis) Replacement Class inquiry EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Partial Shipping of Lots - Shipping of product prior to the lot being completed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Partial Least Square Regression Result - Question Using Minitab Software 3
E Interpreting Partial Least Square Results Using Minitab Software 1
B Not Full (Partial) Lot at End of the Shift - Sample Size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
S "Partial Buyout" Considerations for TS system - HELP IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13