Is a specific day required in an expiration date?

The CFR states the following relating to the expiration date of a medical device:

"Sec. 801.18 Format of dates provided on a medical device label.

(a) In general. Whenever the label of a medical device includes a printed expiration date, date of manufacture, or any other date intended to be brought to the attention of the user of the device, the date must be presented in the following format: The year, using four digits; followed by the month, using two digits; followed by the day, using two digits; each separated by hyphens. For example, January 2, 2014, must be presented as 2014-01-02."

My question: is it required that a specific day of the month be included in an expiration date? This clearly shows the format, but is it saying the day MUST be included? Or is this saying that if a day is used, go with YYYY-MM-DD, or--if no day is specified--just go with YYYY-MM?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good day Steve,

In my view, the CFR Part A, 801.18 requirement is specific in requiring a date to include day of the month.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
I'm not in medical...but the instruction seem pretty clear as you've presented them in quotes.

the date must be presented in the following format: The year, using four digits; followed by the month, using two digits; followed by the day, using two digits; each separated by hyphens.
I don't see how you could comply with that (other than pressing on the title "In general") without including the day.

HTH

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Mindset change needed...

You read a regulation approved by a governing authority...and you ask WHY? Don't do that...life will be much easier for you.

If you are on the counsel drafting the regs...ask "Why?" several thousand times. But if you're just on the receiving end...don't do that.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Practical approach: Where only a month is specified, it usually means the last day of the month. So just define in your internal procedures that you always specify the last day of the month - 2019-08-31, then 2019-09-30, etc. - and validate to the worst case.

I do agree, questioning will drive a person to drink! And I normally just go with it and don't ask why...but this one increases risk without any benefit that I can see. How many products have been discarded prematurely because of confusion over the expiration date (some would read 12-01 as January 12th and others would say Dec 1st)? If I go with the 15th of the month, as I understand some are doing, I'm essentially cheating the end user out of half a month. And while we essentially use Ronen's approach, that method introduces the risk of a fairly serious non-conformity: 31 could be used for a month that only has 30 days (so we use the 28th of the month just to be safe). I agree with Ronen that if the day isn't specified, it's logical to assume it's the end of the month, so I feel like I'm missing the reasoning behind why that wasn't used when this was drafted.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Is correlation matrix required for Customer Specific Requirements in Quality Manual? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z What Specific Tests are Required to Label a Device as being DEHP Free EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) in TS 16949 Audits - Always required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
T Required ISO 17025 Traceability - The specific ID/SS number of the test weight ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
D Aerosol Volume required for a Specific Pressure Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Management Representative - Specific Training Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 46
Q Excel worksheet - Help required (viewing specific number of rows/columns) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
P Formal Quality Control Agreement with specific suppliers - Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Landscaping QMS - Any specific clauses required for landscaping companies? Service Industry Specific Topics 12
P FIAT CSR (customer specific requirements) Required Manuals - Information wanted Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
A Job Descriptions - Is there a specific format required for job descriptions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C TS 16949 Training targets - Are specific departmental targets required? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
B Final Inspection - Specific lot control required? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 1
K OEM specific requirements - PPAP was rejected by STA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 7
M Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Testing - What Standard to Use? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M Informational Several US FDA draft guidances, including some specific device guidances for the Safety and Performance Based Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
A EU MDR Annex I section 11.3 - Medical Devices labelled as having a specific microbial state EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Specific processes - Construction management field Service Industry Specific Topics 2
L IATF 16949 8.3.3.2 FCA (Fiat Chrysler) Specific Requirements - Examples of AQR and MPFMEA Service Industry Specific Topics 1
J Marketing and promotional materials - EU and MDR Specific EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R Documenting Expiration Date Extension for a specific lot ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
Marc Search - Search for Discussion Threads started by a specific User Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Search for Posts - By specific User Name(s) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
R Specific ISO requirement to fill in all spaces on a move tag? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
B Interesting Discussion The legal aspects of Customer Specific Requirements (Contract Law). IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
R Cascading (Flow Down) Customer Specific Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F What directives/regulations apply to Analyte Specific Reagents (ASRs) in EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M What is Environmental intelligence specific to IVDs or Medical devices? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
J Injection molding: specific perimeters Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
eternal_atlas Section 7.8.4 Specific requirements for calibration certificates ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
D Customer Specific Requirements / Distributors (IATF 16949) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
D Is ISO 13485 Location Specific? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J MSA on Part Specific Attribute Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D IATF 16949 Cl. 4.3.2 - Customer Requirements vs. Customer Specific Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
B Interpretation of Customer Specific Requirements of Continental - Records Retention Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
B IATF 16949 Cl. 4.3.2 - Meeting Customer Specific Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
J Specific Actions where Timely and/or Effective Actions are not Achieved Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
A Does KPI for Processes need to be correlated with the specific Risks for Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Does ISO9001:2015 require any specific "processes"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Customer Specific Containment Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
R Standards Specific to Single Channel ECG Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1