Is AIAG PPAP section 2.1 waiver a solution?

Q

Qualipedia

Folks, need some help! I have a supplier that produces seals using their standard tooling. We did not pay for tooling. They have been shipping off the shelf parts to us and luckily they have been meeting material test results and dimensional results.. They have been shipping us for years. However, these parts were not PPAP'd in the past.. Recently we sent PPAP requests to the supplier... The supplier got back to us stating that these parts cannot be PPAP'd since standard tooling is used.. AIAG PPAP manual section 2.1 states -
Parts from each unique production process e.g., duplicate assembly line, work cell, each position of a multiple cavity die, mold, tool or pattern, shall be measured and the representative parts tested.'

The supplier has a bank of tools that can be used to make thes parts for us.. So we could be receiving parts from a tool which never originally measured in the original PPAP document. One option is to buy custom tooling which means thousands of dollars. I am not sure if there is another approach to this.. Maybe I am failing to discover the right option? Please provide me some guidance on this..

Is AIAG PPAP section 2.1 waiver a solution?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Re: PPAP Waiver Question

For all practical purposes, it appears waiver is the right option and I would go for one. However, I am not sure of the legalities involved. I earlier worked for an European OEM where I heard PPAP has legal implications. In India PPAP is too little a legal document and more of a project approval document. It is also worth considering the criticality of the Seal in the parent system before any decision.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

What would your OEM / customer say if you waive the PPAP requirements?

I think they are trying to get away with not doing a PPAP.

Standard tooling is not a good argument. There are 19 elements in the PPAP.

Q

Qualipedia

I think what the supplier is saying is valid.. They are using a tool out of their bank of tools to produce parts.. Per the AIAG PPAP Section 2.1, every work cell, cavity, tool, die that is used to produce parts must be approved by the Customer via PPAP..

They make thousands of these seals and ship to different customers.. So validating every single tool while doing a PPAP is practically not possible unless we buy custom tooling..

We have hundreds of parts waiting to be PPAP'd and on hold due to this.. Custom tooling for each would affect our bonuses.. :)

And yes, I think standard tooling is a good argument.. Even if one element of the PPAP is not met, it is not a valid PPAP and I will not be approving it..

Q

Qualgal

In my opinion, I believe the customer is trying to get away with not completing a PPAP. In manufacturing, often there are standard tools used to produce product. For example, tubing extruders. These machines make tubing of various sizes and materials. I was always required to complete a PPAP to the customer. These extruders and various tooling were capital purchases made by my employer not tooling paid for by the customer. Without these tools we would not be able to sell product to customers.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource

Stepping outside of the documents for a second here...

Do you have an alternative supplier?
Another way to ask the same question: Who is in the driver's seat on this one?

If they are trying to get out of a PPAP, kudos to them...I would. The real question is whether there is leverage to force the issue...and whose hand is on the lever?

You can easily waive the requirement to PPAP every tool...or you could require that only tools reported in the PPAP can be used for your parts...or you can swallow the cost of a dedicated tool...or..or..or.

In the end, PPAP is measured in dollars and cents...whose dollars are on the line? (typically multiple people's)

S

sky66666

Just talk about section 2.1 of PPAP, it is suit to the old standard tooling .In mass production ,we check the product dimension from unique line or each cave so that each product meet the requirement. we just collect but re-measure dimension for PPAP.

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi
The waiver definitely a temporary solution to AIAG PPAP section 2.1.
Escaping the requirement is not an answer. I admire people who do PPAP because you are complying to the requirement and it will be a good reference for your company in the future.
There are people who abused the use of waiver :frust: coming from a Customer Representative without realizing in the end that non compliance to the requirement may put the company in uncompromising situation due to some legalities.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy:cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
abrego44 AIAG PPAP manual for service part APQP and PPAP 5
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
H Prerequisites for AIAG APQP/PPAP Certification Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
C PPAP Rejection for "MSA-GR&R are not using the latest AIAG format" APQP and PPAP 9
S Service Parts PPAP AIAG Manual - Opinions APQP and PPAP 4
E What's the difference: AIAG-PPAP's "Significant Production Run" and "Run @ Rate"? APQP and PPAP 11
P Are AIAG PPAP Elements Mandatory? APQP and PPAP 9
V Latest revisions of Core Tools Manuals from the AIAG (APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC and MSA) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Customer using their own version of the AIAG PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 5
V Do I need to have Supplier Master PPAP Samples? I see in AIAG 4.1 APQP and PPAP 4
O Ordering an AIAG PPAP Manual - Europe (Sweden) APQP and PPAP 7
D AIAG PPAP Manual Forms: CFG-1003, CFG-1004, CFG-1005 APQP and PPAP 3
D AIAG Level 3 PPAP (100% dimensional measurement or just significant characteristics)? APQP and PPAP 2
Stijloor Latest AIAG PPAP and FMEA Errata Sheet APQP and PPAP 7
E Question about AIAG PPAP Third Edition APQP and PPAP 2
S Are the AIAG document (FMEA, PPAP, SPC, MSA, APQP) guidelines or requirements FMEA and Control Plans 6
B What is the Latest Revision Of the AIAG PPAP Manual? APQP and PPAP 1
1 Looking for AIAG PPAP checklist APQP and PPAP 1
J PPAP Marking - Polymeric Parts - AIAG PPAP Manual 4th edition, page 4, Clause 2.2.1.2 APQP and PPAP 5
Howard Atkins Informational AIAG PPAP Manual 4th Edition Forms (including Control Plan) APQP and PPAP 68
T I want a copy of the AIAG PPAP Manual 4th edition APQP and PPAP 4
Jim Wynne AIAG TS16949 / PPAP Conference - Shanghai APQP and PPAP 0
W Does ISO 9001:2000 require the use of AIAG (automotive) APQP, PPAP, etc. Manuals? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C AIAG PPAP requirement on Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
G AIAG PPAP Manual Fourth Edition will be available exclusively from AIAG March 1, 2006 APQP and PPAP 6
J AIAG PPAP Third edition changes to Fourth - Ten major changes? APQP and PPAP 10
S What is the connection between Ford's phased PPAP and edition 4 from AIAG APQP and PPAP 4
D AIAG's PPAP Reference Material - Seeking an electronics copy such as a .pdf file APQP and PPAP 4
E What is the purpose of the AIAG's PPAP process? Elimination of customer inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S AIAG's PPAP Manual - New version due soon APQP and PPAP 3
S AIAG PPAP 4th Edition - Has anyone heard what the change(s) will be? APQP and PPAP 42
apestate PPAP and AIAG in non-QS/TS company - Tier 2 Supplier APQP and PPAP 10
S AIAG PPAP Manual pg 16 - PPAP requirements shall be retained at appropriate locations APQP and PPAP 2
S AIAG working on PPAP 4th Edition? Revision status of AIAG documents APQP and PPAP 8
J AIAG PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Manual Fourth Edition Released APQP and PPAP 69
A PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) - Where can I buy the AIAG Manual? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
I AIAG's PPAP 3rd edition vs. PPAP 2nd edition APQP and PPAP 3
M Gap Analysis of the AIAG's PPAP Manual 2nd vs. 3rd Edition APQP and PPAP 3
C PPAP required by Customer not the same as the AIAG's PPAP Manual Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
C What are the AIAG defined PPAP Levels? APQP and PPAP 2
M AIAG-VDA DFMEA 2019 - it is compulsory? FMEA and Control Plans 7
Casana Step 7 in AIAG/VDA FMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 15
B Wrong standard deviation calculation in AIAG SPC manual? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
M Should there be another column in the Optimization section (step 6) of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form? FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Locking Control Limits and SPC Sample Sizes (AIAG/Automotive Requirements) Six Sigma 2
M Inconsistency of VDA-AIAG severity table for DFMEA with the manual text FMEA and Control Plans 0
M How to record the effects of adjacent systems (shown in boundary diagram) in the AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
H Quality planning sign-off in AIAG APQP Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
H RPN in AIaG-VDA FMEA Manual FMEA and Control Plans 1
Sonja D AIAG VDA PFMEA and Control Plan training FMEA and Control Plans 9