Is an actual document for Roles and Responsibilities necessary?

Q

QualChk

Hi
Is an actual document for Roles and Responsibilities necessary? or is it sufficient to have the org chart along with job descriptions which detail the responsibilities? Please advise which would work best. Samples would be helpful
Thanks!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Roles and Responsibilities Document

Good day QualChk,

I most often see responsibilities listed in a section within process documents. In this way the responsibilities can be specific enough to avoid confusion, especially in a process that has tasks done by more than one group.

S

SteveK

Hi
Is an actual document for Roles and Responsibilities necessary? or is it sufficient to have the org chart along with job descriptions which detail the responsibilities? Please advise which would work best. Samples would be helpful
Thanks!

Under 5.5.1 I have brief R & Rs in our Quality Assurance Policy Manual, together with an Organogram.

e.g.

The Sales Manager is responsible to the Managing Director and has the authority for all marketing and sales. The responsibilities are to ensure initial contract reviews at enquiry stage are adequate and effective.

I keep job descriptions in individual's training files (6.2.2).:2cents:

Hopefully this helps.

Steve

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

Org charts are usually related to departments and functions.

The responsibilities and authorities required by the standard are related to processes and tasks.

If your job descriptions and org charts define the responsibilities and authorities related to processes and tasks, you should be ok. However, I usually do not see this information in org charts and job descriptions because those serve other purposes.

Marcelo

The Sales Manager is responsible to the Managing Director and has the authority for all marketing and sales. The responsibilities are to ensure initial contract reviews at enquiry stage are adequate and effective.

I keep job descriptions in individual's training files (6.2.2).

This is great and will pass any audit, however this is really not what the standard requires.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

This is great and will pass any audit, however this is really not what the standard requires.

This is the entirety of what ISO 9001:2008 says on the subject:
5.5.1 Responsibility and authority

Top management shall ensure that responsibilities and authorities are defined and communicated within the organization.
Note that there is no requirement for documentation of R&A, so whatever path the organization chooses should be considered acceptable, even verbal methods, so long as it can be verified that people who need to know do know.

Marcelo

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marcelo Antunes

This is the entirety of what ISO 9001:2008 says on the subject:
Quote:
5.5.1 Responsibility and authority

Top management shall ensure that responsibilities and authorities are defined and communicated within the organization.
Note that there is no requirement for documentation of R&A, so whatever path the organization chooses should be considered acceptable, even verbal methods, so long as it can be verified that people who need to know do know.

Sure, but it requires responsibilities and authorities related to what?

My comment was just that it´s related to processes and tasks, not to departments and functions, as the comments seemed to imply (and which is a generic understating during audits).

S

silentrunning

I minimized the pain of doing this with a graph. Across the top are the employees’ names. Running down the left side is the responsibility (graph 1), and the authority (graph 2). Where these lines intersect is the date of training and who approved the training. People auditing our shop can tell at a glance whether a person is authorized for what they are doing. So far I have had no complaints.

L

LesPiles

Silentrunning, it seems interesting but i don't "see" it. Can you providence an example please ? Thx.

S

silentrunning

Les, let me check with the owner and see if it's OK to post. I will have to remove the names first.

Top Bottom