Is an ethernet port part of the User Interface

DanMann

Starting to get Involved
As simple as the title - my colleagues and I are having a debate about the definition of "User Interface" from IEC 62366, my assertion is that it is any means by which the User and the Medical Device interact in any way, including (for example) plugging in an ethernet cable; does anyone have any thoughts or guidance that might help on this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
Do any of the users identified in your user specification interact with the ethernet port?

My guess is that you have a very limited set of users and use scenarios that involve engaging with the ethernet port, if you have no users that engage with it, remove it from the design. If some users have to engage with it, you probably want to establish that it is accessible, etc.

DanMann

Starting to get Involved
Do any of the users identified in your user specification interact with the ethernet port?

My guess is that you have a very limited set of users and use scenarios that involve engaging with the ethernet port, if you have no users that engage with it, remove it from the design. If some users have to engage with it, you probably want to establish that it is accessible, etc.
Thanks Tidge - yes it would be used to connect our device to the internet by our main user group, which I believe means it would be part of the user interface; is that correct?

Tidge

It's just me, but the range of user interaction with the port seems to be there, but it is not absent.

For such a feature, I would expect that during summative testing you will have your sample users make the connection. Depending on the complexity of your other user interfaces, it's probably not the end of the world if you 'forgot' to include it as a user interface. If you get a complaint that the user can't make the connection for some reason like "ethernet port is blocked" or "cable keeps disconnecting by itself" there will be egg on teh faces of everyone who poo-pooed the idea of needing to test it with users.

I see this as a small addition to the Use Cases, no one should fight it.

DanMann

Starting to get Involved
The problem is less one of testing and more of what constitutes a "User Interface". The EU guidance on "Significant Change" (MDCG 2020-3) states that a "New User Interface" is a significant change (and so would require a medical device to transition to the new regulation immediately on the change rather than at a later deadline), so everyone is happy to test, but we cannot agree on whether it is a significant change (and we are a General IVD Manufacturer, so we don't have a NB to check with yet, so we are working on our own).

Tidge

If you are actually adding an ethernet connector, I feel like the design is very likely undergoing a significant change (*1). If the connector was already there, then you aren't making a significant change, you would just be updating your own records, and I am sure you can rationalize to yourself to not immediately transition.

(*1) My cybersecurity alarm bells are ringing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Ethernet port connections to meet 60601-1 and 60601-1-2 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
E Isolation requirements for USB/Ethernet IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
F SIP/SOP - Mains Power and Medical Device Ethernet Ports IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
C Grounding of Ethernet Cable Shield IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
E Ethernet Isolation Transformer for Medical Grade PCB IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
P Ethernet switch with powerstrip for conference table After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
A 60601-1-2 : Integrated Dry Electrodes = PATIENT COUPLED PORT? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P ISO 80369 and endoscope port/lumen Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
T Question: Do we consider 60601-1-2 (4th ed) EMC testing a mode for a diagnostic port? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Automated calibration of Digital Multimeter without communication port Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
somashekar Port city Visakhapatnam (Vizag) devastated in the cyclone Hudhud (INDIA) World News 6
M Diesel Generator Stack - Sample port guidelines required Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
F Heat and Moisture Oxygen Port Changes Classification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Separation of Network Port from other Circuits including Patient Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
T Access to a particular Medical Device Electronic Communication Test Port IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M What is a Quality Assurance Plan? Help with Content for a Sea Port QA Plan Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
Ajit Basrur CDSCO Guidelines for Port Officers on Imp and Export of Drugs & Cosmetics Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
A USB Port Isolation as per IEC60601-1 - Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R USB Port (Signal I/O) Isolation as per IEC60601-1 - Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 40
Jen Kirley Have you tried recording vinyl to MP3s and or CDs? Turntable with USB port? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
R Portocal II S/W needs some kind of "terminator" to parallel port General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Designing an integrated ISO 9000 - ISO 14000 System in a Big Marine Port Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
C DV/PV Test Part Storage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D IATF Requirements if remote plant has no interface with OEMs who are part of IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
W Classes and Applied Part IEC60601 Electromedical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E How to test 8.7.4.7 d) ? What "not protectively earthed accessible part" means? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Anonymous16-2 Sinks and Sanitation - 21 CFR Part 111 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
O PPAP'ed part manufacturer has discontinued production Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 7
N Reworked Finished Goods (FG) - Part of CoPQ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S 21 CFR part 11 version differences Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
A Is computing Hardware part of the IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
abrego44 AIAG PPAP manual for service part APQP and PPAP 5
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
cgaro62 Using internal audits as part of document reviews Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
A Dielectric withstand of applied part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M List of FAA Part 145 Repair Stations in MS Excel format? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
K 10 parts, 4 operators, 3 replications and each part has 3 location to measure. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
L FDA & 21 CFR Part 11 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 19
Q Can I use Cpk to compare if one part is usable in another part? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
I PFD (Process Flow Diagram) approach. Setup details as part of PFD? APQP and PPAP 5
B Combat Low Part to Part Variation in GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
C Quality Manager as part of Management - 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Complaint review as part of the complaint handling process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D FDA Guidance on Computer Software Assurance versus 21 CFR Part 11 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Physical Part Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Clean room not part of my certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A MDR ANNEX XI part A or Part B EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Part submission warrant for Level 1 PPAP APQP and PPAP 1