Is anybody familar with Quick Response Manufacturing?

1winnyAK

Has anyone heard of Quick Response Manufacturing? and has impletemented that in there company?

Thanks!

Randy

Super Moderator
Sounds like Just In Time and it's been around for quite awhile. In publishing it's called "On Demand Printing" and is used by companies like Exlibris.

G

George Weiss

What will happen if someone point this out about Lean Sigma SIx?
Is the LSS model just a name placed on good quality practices?
Is the quality community being sold a repackaged bucket of goods in either case?
If we could get LSS into a just-in-time form, then we are talking ultra-lean-six-sigma.

M

MIREGMGR

It's just classic manufacturing that's optimized more toward Fast and less toward Minimum Cost.

Sometimes it's also optimized for small to medium scale, since those are the kinds of customers that most often want Fast.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Based on the UW article cited by George, every job shop worth its salt has practiced "quick response manufacturing." We just didn't have the chutzpah to claim the process as unique and give it a fancy moniker all dressed up with upper case letters and everything.

The whole idea, of course, is to reduce lead time from initial inquiry to finished product on the customer's dock or in place at his facility.

Key to the process is avoiding an often asinine process of customers sending out requests for proposals or quotations and then sitting back on their collective backsides waiting for suppliers to "guess" at the urgency required.

Elsewhere (Wes Bucey on quoting and empowerment), I talked about my own process for short-circuiting the time-consuming "auction" process so many buyers seem enamored of. We were similarly engaged with our own suppliers (our "go to" guys) so that we could eliminate delays in obtaining materials, equipment, and supplies. I charged more than shops who considered themselves our competitors, but we were worth it, delivering net value to every customer.

1winnyAK

QRM is basically reduce lead time where lean is taking waste out of the process.

QRM is how do you reduce lead time when the parts you are ordering from your suppliers has there own lead time....

My company we are a low volume manufacter company and our lead times are based off of what our buyers tell us..for example if we need a metal part are we place an order the lead time is 60 days ..we will then tell our customer we can give you this in 3 months.

So basically how do you reduce lead time?

Top Bottom