Is anyone using Microsoft Word for their documentation software?

Is anyone using Microsoft Word for their documentation software?
We are using it with file restrictions for people who only need to view and print forms. So far things are working. My concern is that down the road we will run into problems. We only have 25 employees.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

Michael T

We use MS Word and MS Excel for our controlled documents. We generate hard copies for the shop floor as there are no computers out there. The files are on the mainframe with limited access and password protected (less than 25 people have access to the directory) and only three people know the passwords for the various documents.

This seems to work well for us and we haven't run into any problems. What kind of problems do you foresee?

Cheers!

Mike

G

Graeme

I am using Microsoft Word and Excel for preparing documentation, forms and so on. When the work is approved and ready to post on the internal web site, I run it through Adobe Acrobat to produce a tamper-proof digitally signed version. That is the one that goes to the web page.
  • Since that copy is the ONLY one that anyone else can see, is is automatically the current authorized version.
  • Since it can't be changed you don't have to worry about it. The documentation controller has full access to that folder on the server; everyone else has read-only. you don't need to worry about file-level permissions.
  • One of our procedures, and a footer on the front page of the QM and the procedures, states that a printed copy -- or an electronic copy not on the network -- is not a controlled copy, so that eliminates that headache. (Each employee has a computer.)
  • The index list to find them on the web page IS the quality documentation list.
  • You can add hyperlinks to jump within and between documents, to make it even easier to use.
  • Things like document approval, CAR's and DCR's are implemented as Microsoft Exchange e-mail forms, so all you have to do is fill in the blanks and hit "Send". the e-mail system does all of the tracking for you.

We are not yet registered, but our pre-registration audit is tomorrow and the "real" one is at the end of July. So far, nobody has found any problems with this. And I know there are commercial systems for sale that do essentially the same thing.

------------------
Graeme C. Payne
ASQ Certified Quality Engineer
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Graeme (edited 06 June 2001).]

Hi,

I use them too, without too much in the way of problems. We have a small number of controlled hardcopies and online access via our intranet to a writeprotected drive.

One word of warning though: If you use hyperlinks between the documents you may run into problems if you move delete or change the documents names - i.e. "dead links".

/Claes

M

Marilyn P

I used an MS Word and Excel on-line documentaton system for about 5 years with no problems. The files were set up as read only and hard copies were good for the date of printing only. The print date was on the bottom of all documents.

As was mentioned ^^, there is some maintenance involved with the hyperlinks but this is the case with any format!

It can work and it is cost effective.

C

Cheryl

We are a very large company with well over 1,000 procedures. Last year I moved our system from a manual to an electronic version utilizing Word and Excel. The files are posted on the shared network and are protected from use except for the Document Controllers and Management Rep. all others only have read only & print access. A footer has been added to the bottom of each procedure that reads, Reference copy only, original can be found at: file name & path.
We as well use the link feature throughout - document masters - forms - attachments - reference documents - dept to dept - this feature allows for a numerous benefits. True the link can pose problems down the road but with a good base and knowledge of your trained controllers alot of this is avoided.

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
We also use MS Word/Excel, but only 3 people have access to electronic file (QA Manager, QA Eng, and ISO Coord). Hardcopy of relevant Specs/WI in manuals (by Dept) on shop floor, Visual SOPs posted at equipment used.

I've been working towards launching via intranet using Adobe Acrobat Reader. As Graeme mentioned, it is view only so no risk of tampering.

Having electronic documents as read-only isn't secure. Anyone with some familiarization can circumvent that security prot, (a bit safer if the files are on network drive where they do not have write access). But either way a person can make changes and print them out, bypassing your security (even if you req signature on each page in doc ID block - can be forged).

G

Graeme

Originally posted by E Wall:
... Having electronic documents as read-only isn't secure. Anyone with some familiarization can circumvent that security prot, ...
True ... however, look at both the people and cost issues.
  • You have to have at least some level of trust in your people. Yes, you need to deal with those who violate that trust -- but I don't believe it is good for anyone to have a system that assumes up-front that nobody can be trusted. You reap what you sow.
  • No system can be made so secure that nobody can ever tamper with it under any circumstances. Attempting to do so is probably not cost-effective, and can result in a system that is very secure, but totally unusable and therefore useless.

A reasonable level of security, especially to prevent accidental disruption or random low-level vandalism, is certainly desirable and wise. That is why, for example, only the Document Coordinator would have write access to a document folder on the network. But you should not need any higher level of protection for computer files than you currently give to paper documents or other corporate intellectual property. (After all, I could always copy and re-type a paper document, too! :D )

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
I was not approaching this as a 'trust issue' but rather a 'control issue' which is where the ISO focus tends to be directed.

Our printed 'controlled copies' are identified by the special paper they are printed on (no extra $ compared to reg wht paper). Any 'white' copy is an uncontrolled document, Per our procedures it is specified that a Controlled Document is: "one that will be automatically replaced when the document is revised". An uncontrolled copy: "is not automatically replaced, and is to be used for short term reference only. It is then the associate's responsibility to check the document revision to ensure only the current version is being used".

The trust is there and control is there, and the system is very cost effective.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
for those who don't have a warm fuzzy in the trust area...export word into an adobe format for read only. All you need is 1 writer and readers are free...no license required for readers, and that eliminates the issues where not everyone is operating at the same rev of MSOffice , or worse, using a different word processor. Another idea is for non-network paperless systems, distribute a CD (rewriteable for updates?) or diskette,,,,,

oops you guys already talked about adobe...missed that at first, when I skimmed the thread......

I personally trust the system.....

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 14 June 2001).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Microsoft OneNote - Is anyone using Microsoft OneNote Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 13
Q Is anyone using MasterControl Spark? I have a question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D Anyone using a cloud based QMS software? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
W Anyone using Keyence Image Measurement System Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
J Is anyone here using Metcal / Met TEAM (8.1) Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
J Anyone using SiliconExpert Technologies Software for RoHS/REACH/CM RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
J Implementing "Gage Control Software" Is anyone using this program? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 12
ScottK Is anyone using iCloud? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
E Is anyone here using APQP (AIAG manual) in Medical Devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Using Regrind - Anyone ever used a deduster to improve quality of material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Is anyone using GreenCut Cutting Fluid Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
N Does anyone have any experience or feedback using mind mapping software? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Q AIAG CQI-14 - Consumer-Centric Warranty Management Guidelines - Is Anyone Using This? Customer Complaints 9
S Anyone familiar with using an Authorized Representative in the UAE? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Is anyone using "Costaware" Cost Reduction Software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
D Does anyone have experience using open source software for PDM? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Jim Wynne Anyone still using floppies? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 37
M Anyone Using Parsec Software? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Y Biocompatibility of Lexan 244 - Is anyone using Lexan 244? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
Q Is anyone using FormDocs (Electronic Form-Filling Software)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
Marc Greylisting - Is anyone using 'Greylisting'? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
F Porosity Testing anyone? Ceramics using Liquid Ceramic Slurry Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
L Is anyone using Gagemaker? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
Ajit Basrur Anyone using Net Promoter Scorecard (NPS) to Measure Customer Loyalty? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Q Document Control Software Suggestions - Anyone using MIPSIS? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
K Anyone using MQ1 by CEBOS? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 13
A Anyone still using the 862 Datamytes? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Does anyone using or know about the software Visio or MS Visio? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
Jim Wynne Anyone using Office 2007? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 26
Marc Is anyone using Gmail (Google Mail) to filter spam? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 21
C Anyone using the new ANSI/NCSL Z540.3-2006? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
Crusader Anyone using FastLynx software? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
G AA 1000 - AccountAbility Standard - Is anyone using AA 1000? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Steve McQuality Visual Enterprise/Crystal Reports - Anyone Using This System? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
D Is anyone using a commercial Configuration Management Software for AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q QI Analyst - Is anyone is still using version 2.0.1? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
D Zero Acceptance Sampling - Is anyone is actually using this? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Anyone out there using Self Evaluations? Career and Occupation Discussions 5
Q Do You Know Anyone Using ISO 10002? ISO 10001 and ISO 10003 are under development Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Claes Gefvenberg Anyone using Thunderbird? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 16
R Rolled Throughput Yield - Is anyone using this metric, and if so, how Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
R Using Excel .xls spreadsheet to replace paper logsheets - Has anyone had success? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 24
D Oracle PLM - Anyone out there using Oracle PLM or know anything about it? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
L Notified Body - Does anyone have experience using TUV Essex? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
G JobBoss: Anyone using this Job Shop Management Software?? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
D Is anyone currently using a portable CMMs (e.g. Faro, Romer, etc.)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Is anyone out there considering using a Third-Party for their FDA Audit? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
G Self Directed Work Teams - Anyone using SDWT in their company? Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
WALLACE Is anyone using Adobe photoshop 7? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Joe Cruse Browsers: Anyone using Firefox? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 154