Is ASME GD&T Technologist Certification worthwhile?

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi To All,

I recently completed an ASME Y14.5M 1994 GD&T course with ETI/Effective Training...an excellent course. I am considering taking it one step further; obtaining a ASME GD&T Technologist certification.

What is your experience with such a certification? Is there a similar equivalent ISO certification offered? If, so how does it compare to the ASME cert?

In either case is such a certification worthwhile?

Regards,
Marty

D

David DeLong

I am an ASME GD&T Professional - both a Technologist and also a Senior and for me it was worth it since I train in the subject. The exam is tougher than the ASQ Quality Engineering exam but you would become the GD&T person in your company. It also looks good on your resume but the understanding of GD&T is most important.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Thanks for the response Dave,

What did you do to prep for the ASME Technologist Cert Exam?

In terms of exam material/content was the jump from Tech to Senior significant?

Regards,
Marty

D

David DeLong

Study, study and study the ASME Y14.5 -2009 until you are ready to throw up. The questions are tricky and you will come out of the exam brain dead. Don't be hurt if you fail it the first time too.

There is a significant jump to Senior from the Technologists. Whatever percentage you receive on the Tech exam, subtract 10% and that will be your Senior results. Don't even think about the Senior until you have the Tech level for a couple of years and are using it on a daily basis.

Good Luck!

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi Dave,

okay I've had the text of Y14.5M for a fews days and have thrown up several times.....can you recommend a good source to sharpen up on Tolerance Stacks using Tolerance of Position at MMC??

Thank you for your assistance

Regards,
Marty

D

David DeLong

Well, Marty, if the text becomes too difficult, I would suggest taking a course somewhere on GD&T but make sure that the trainer is certified. I don't remember any questions about tolerances stacks in either exams.

U

umhz111

hi
how was your experience with ETI learning institute?
is it work it to go for the course with ETI?
kindly guide.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi....Yes ETI is a really good resource, I successfully completed their basic course and purchased the advanced GD&T text/workbook....I am about to sign up for the Y14.57 2009 refresher course as part of preparation to take the ASME Cert Technologist exam....later this year....ETI is now part of SAE as well - Optomist1

Top Bottom