Is ASQ CQM/OE web-based training worth it?

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
I believe I can have the company I (QC Mgr.) work for pay for the web-based training for

Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence Certification Preparation

Is it worth it ($685).. or just as well to buy some primers and study on my own?

Just some background.. I've been in QC for this company for 11 years..working my way up from a tech to the Mgr. It's going to be to hard to get into a production role, so I've decided to embrace my life as a Quality guy and get trained up. Since I've been a Mgr. for 7 years, I figure I'll take the CMQ.. then the CQE.. then hopefully to start working toward a black belt.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Do you know whether you learn best with videos, by reading or attending lectures?

I do my studying with books. It enables me to do it on my own time (over a period of many months if I'm studying in the evening after work, as I soon feel too tired to learn much) and go back to a page over and over if a later question in my mind.

So for that reason (plus, of course I think they are overpriced) I never did use those web training things.

Nor did I use the QCI Primers. I use the ASQ Press Handbooks. The last time I used the Primers I thought they glossed over subjects; the Handbooks had more depth, in my view, and were easier to look up things in during an exam. Not that used them for that...during my last exams (CQM/OE and SSBB) I found I had almost no time to look up answers. I mostly just read the questions carefully and answered them carefully.

I hope this helps!

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
I do well with videos.. Also, I'm also wondering (kinda late) I was assuming I was qualified for to take the test.. I have no degree.. but I've been in the Quality Control department here for 11 years, 7 of those years as the Manager... Does that give me enough experience to qualify to take the CMQ/OE exam?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I do well with videos.. Also, I'm also wondering (kinda late) I was assuming I was qualified for to take the test.. I have no degree.. but I've been in the Quality Control department here for 11 years, 7 of those years as the Manager... Does that give me enough experience to qualify to take the CMQ/OE exam?

See the ASQ education/experience requirments. It appears that your 11 years, with 7 as manager will fit the bill.

Top Bottom