SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Is ASQ's CQE online training enough?

F

flybyscy

I want to train for ASQ’s CQE and decided to go with ASQ’s online training.
I’m new to the quality field and will be starting from scratch.
I read in the “Certification Exam Tips, Trips and Traps” article that in order to study for the certification I may need some references to help in studying and to take along to the exam.

My questions are:
1- Is ASQ’s online training enough for someone with very little background in quality or would I need other materials to support the training?
2- Is ASQ’s online training a good choice or is there something out there which is better? (I’ll be training while I’m on the job. So attending classes physically is not an option).
3- What references & supporting materials, from your experience, you recommend that I use which would help me understand the material better? And which of these would be a good choice to take along to the exam? (I want to be ready because once I start to study I don’t want anything to slow me down and because I’m outside the states ordering these will take some time)

My decision to take this path came after listening to the advice of the generous members of this wonderful forum. I’m sure that I can count on them to be there whenever I need a helping hand.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I shall be honest at the start and say I have never seen ASQ's online training. So I can't vouch for its depth, accuracy and presentation quality. Nor do I know if their online training includes any books, handouts etc.

However, there are learning factors I can address, mainly: Do you learn best from videos? I learn best by reading books and then practicing what the book says. So when I was preparing for the CQE exam, I bought books with sufficient depth to use as resources later (not the Quality Council of Indiana Primer, which is, IMO, not worth more than test taking help) as well as a questions CD. I worked through the questions as though I was taking the exam: looking them up in my books and doing the statistics. Since I am not strong in math, I really focused on this area and took all sorts of notes.

Here's the thing: when I did this, I had several years in quality already. I had already certified for CMI, CQT and CQA. All of these certs have learnings that are building blocks to the CQE, and I met their time in field requirement. If you are new to the quality field, how would you address the requirement for time working in the BOK?

Frankly, my advice is to start with the CMI unless you are an engineer already - in that case I would recommend the CQT before the CQE.

I hope this helps!

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I want to train for ASQ’s CQE and decided to go with ASQ’s online training.
I’m new to the quality field and will be starting from scratch.
I read in the “Certification Exam Tips, Trips and Traps” article that in order to study for the certification I may need some references to help in studying and to take along to the exam.

My questions are:
1- Is ASQ’s online training enough for someone with very little background in quality or would I need other materials to support the training?
2- Is ASQ’s online training a good choice or is there something out there which is better? (I’ll be training while I’m on the job. So attending classes physically is not an option).
3- What references & supporting materials, from your experience, you recommend that I use which would help me understand the material better? And which of these would be a good choice to take along to the exam? (I want to be ready because once I start to study I don’t want anything to slow me down and because I’m outside the states ordering these will take some time)

My decision to take this path came after listening to the advice of the generous members of this wonderful forum. I’m sure that I can count on them to be there whenever I need a helping hand.

Thanks
You might want to look at ASQ's requirements for certification, which include this bit about education and experience:
You must have eight years of on-the-job experience in one or more of the areas of the Certified Quality Engineer Body of Knowledge.
A minimum of three years of this experience must be in a decision-making position. “Decision-making” is defined as the authority to define, execute, or control projects/processes and to be responsible for the outcome. This may or may not include management or supervisory positions.
If you were ever certified by ASQ as a Quality Auditor, Reliability Engineer, Software Quality Engineer or Quality Manager, experience used to qualify for certification in these fields applies to certification as a Quality Engineer.
If you have completed a degree* from a college, university or technical school with accreditation accepted by ASQ, part of the eight-year experience requirement will be waived, as follows (only one of these waivers may be claimed):

• Diploma from a technical or trade school—one year will be waived.
  • Associate degree—two years waived.
  • Bachelor’s degree—four years waived.
  • Master’s or doctorate—five years waived.
Do you have the requisite experience?

D

D.Scott

I bought books with sufficient depth to use as resources later (not the Quality Council of Indiana Primer, which is, IMO, not worth more than test taking help)
I understand where you are coming from on this but I disagree (only a little bit). I still find my Council of Indiana Primers to be very helpful. I go to them for quick refreshers quite often. There is also the advantage of having those big crimson (?) and black binders on the book shelf. They just look more impressive than a little book by Feigenbaum or Goldblatt.

The real reason I like the primers for pre-exam study is that the ASQ questions on the exam don't always follow what's in the other books. The questions on the exams are written, judged and graded by the ASQ. Most of the exam questions repeat over the years which means the thought process of the writers doesn't change much. I can't think of actual examples because it has been way to many years but I will try to explain what I mean.

The exam may have a multiple choice question which asks you to identify the "best" answer. The "best" answer was probably quoted in the primer but in actual fact there may be a consensus in other publications for a better choice.

The point is, if you don't take the exam with an ASQ mindset (thinking the way the trainers and writers think) you may find it tougher to come up with their intended answer.

My advice is to sign up with your local ASQ section education chair and attend the training classes. I know it is tough but most classes are held at night or on Saturdays. Make your schedule fit then go sit for the exam prepared. You won't regret it. The exam is quite simple yet the failure rate is surprisingly high. My guess is they probably tried to shortcut the process.

Good luck.

Dave

F

flybyscy

Here's the thing: when I did this, I had several years in quality already. I had already certified for CMI, CQT and CQA. All of these certs have learnings that are building blocks to the CQE, and I met their time in field requirement. If you are new to the quality field, how would you address the requirement for time working in the BOK?

Frankly, my advice is to start with the CMI unless you are an engineer already - in that case I would recommend the CQT before the CQE.

I hope this helps!
Hi Jennifer

Thanks for the advice.

The reason I chose this path is because I need the knoledge that will help me perform better in my new position. And according to the advice I got in a previose posting on the following link, CQE's BoK is very suitable for my situation.

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=33623

I don't come from a technical background and I'm not sure if CMI suits our area of work.

Do you think you could take a look at my previouse posting on the link and tell me if your advice still stands as it is or would you suggest other certifications that will lead to CQE.

As I said. I want to learn the body of knowledge it covers even if I don't get the certification in the near future.

Thanks again

F

flybyscy

You might want to look at ASQ's requirements for certification, which include this bit about education and experience:
Do you have the requisite experience?
Hi Jim

Thanks fr the information.

I've been leading a team of project coordinators for a few years and I'm doing my Bachelor’s degree at the moment.

As I was saying to Jennifer I'm in it for the knowledge and I'm not in a hurry. But while I'm at it why not start early.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

flybyscy

My advice is to sign up with your local ASQ section education chair and attend the training classes.

Good luck.

Dave
Thanks Dave

Unfortunatly I don't believe we have any of those neer by.

I'm in the Middle East.

I think if I first use the ASQ online training and other primers that will get me started and give me direction and some substance to build on and then I'll use deeper refrences to get a better grasp of the topics. I'll need a comprehensive list of refrences that covers the whole BoK. (I'd apreciate if sombody could start me on some good ones. A complete list would be even better)
And every now and then when I get stuck on somthing I'll come to the cove with questions for the experiened CQEs.

It's going to be very slow but at least I'll learn somthing instead of just hoping for somthing to happen.

What do you think? Sounds possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hello there! And let me start out with good wishes on your journey.

I would start with the CQE primer. That will give you a good feel. One of the things that make the CQE test a bit more challenging than the others is there is a pretty good sized body of knowledge.

One thing I would recommend is getting two or three good sources, and be proficient with them. If you get the CQE handbook and Juran's quality handbook, you need to be proficient in finding the information. Note: I did not say memorize all the information, but know how to find the answers in a reasonable time-frame. To me, the CQE exam was less about knowing all the information, and more about knowing where to find the information.

You need to read from as many different sources (honestly, spend some time here at the Cove), but for reference material, keep it to some basic ones. You will not have time to go through 8 books during exam time.

I know you've probably read this and all, but I think it bears repeating. There will be some pretty good alternative answers for the questions. The exam is looking for the best answer; one answer is superior to the others.

Let us know how things progress.:)

F

flybyscy

Hello there! And let me start out with good wishes on your journey.

I would start with the CQE primer. That will give you a good feel. One of the things that make the CQE test a bit more challenging than the others is there is a pretty good sized body of knowledge.

One thing I would recommend is getting two or three good sources, and be proficient with them. If you get the CQE handbook and Juran's quality handbook, you need to be proficient in finding the information. Note: I did not say memorize all the information, but know how to find the answers in a reasonable time-frame. To me, the CQE exam was less about knowing all the information, and more about knowing where to find the information.

You need to read from as many different sources (honestly, spend some time here at the Cove), but for reference material, keep it to some basic ones. You will not have time to go through 8 books during exam time.

I know you've probably read this and all, but I think it bears repeating. There will be some pretty good alternative answers for the questions. The exam is looking for the best answer; one answer is superior to the others.

Let us know how things progress.:)
Thanks Brad for the information. I'll surly keep it in mind.

Is there any thing that I can do during studying that will help to deel with the "best answer" issue?

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I understand where you are coming from on this but I disagree (only a little bit). I still find my Council of Indiana Primers to be very helpful. I go to them for quick refreshers quite often. There is also the advantage of having those big crimson (?) and black binders on the book shelf. They just look more impressive than a little book by Feigenbaum or Goldblatt.

The real reason I like the primers for pre-exam study is that the ASQ questions on the exam don't always follow what's in the other books. The questions on the exams are written, judged and graded by the ASQ. Most of the exam questions repeat over the years which means the thought process of the writers doesn't change much. I can't think of actual examples because it has been way to many years but I will try to explain what I mean.

The exam may have a multiple choice question which asks you to identify the "best" answer. The "best" answer was probably quoted in the primer but in actual fact there may be a consensus in other publications for a better choice.

The point is, if you don't take the exam with an ASQ mindset (thinking the way the trainers and writers think) you may find it tougher to come up with their intended answer.

My advice is to sign up with your local ASQ section education chair and attend the training classes. I know it is tough but most classes are held at night or on Saturdays. Make your schedule fit then go sit for the exam prepared. You won't regret it. The exam is quite simple yet the failure rate is surprisingly high. My guess is they probably tried to shortcut the process.

Good luck.

Dave
I understand what you are saying, and I do appreciate there are people who prefer the Primers. Some swear by them. My opinion favored the more in-depth texts. It's true that, in my observation, ASQ exam questions more often came from ASQ Press texts. But the exam questions, when I was a member of the CMI exam editors team, were not written with any regard for what the text said; it's just that the Primers are written in such a way to more closely align with ASQ's historical test question design. And that's okay. I just view it as more like teaching to the test. Strictly opinion. The only strictly practical point I could make was that my local exams are being held in college class rooms with such tiny desk tops that those Primers are unwieldy. Using them was quite awkward. I did it once - never again.

I did well with Pyzdek's books (and hardly used Juran's tome at all, so I wouldn't recommend it), though his CQE Handbook is now old and his updated version has not yet caught up with ASQ's BOK change. I hope I made that clear enough.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O ASQ CQE Exam Experience, Home versus Exam Center ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
R ANSI/ASQ Z1.4. for CQE Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
Y ASQ CQE and CSSGB; What next? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
T ASQ CQE vs CMQ/OE Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
andika_untoro ASQ CQE Exam Group for Dec 2019 / Jan 2020 Preparation ASQ - American Society for Quality 18
Q Question about 2012 ASQ CQE certification primer vs 2006 primer Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
H ASQ CQE Exam Review Workshop - Seeking Volunteers! September 2013 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
A ASQ CQE statistics training in Australia? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M CQE Preparation - Classes offered by ASQ or QC Group Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
H Seeking Volunteers for ASQ CQE Exam Review Professional Certifications and Degrees 16
R ASQ CQE Practice Exam - Do I need to score very well to pass? Professional Certifications and Degrees 17
K Benefits of being an ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
S ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) June 2009 Results Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
B New ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer)! Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
T ASQ CQE Recertification - I might be a little short on points - What to do? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
S ASQ Recertification Units (RUs) for my CQE,CQA Recertification Journal ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
C Are CQE refresher courses by local ASQ centers helpful in preparing for the exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
J ASQ's CQE Test Preparation advice? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
B ASQ's CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Test Questions Pattern Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
B My "process" for ASQ CQE Preparation Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
B The ASQ CQE Test - 24 hours till total brain meltdown Professional Certifications and Degrees 33
A ASQ - CQE does not include info about PPAP Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
G Why a CQE certification? Who should become an ASQ Certified Quality Engineer? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
A Quality Council of Indiana - ASQ's CQE and CQA Certification exam materials Professional Certifications and Degrees 23
D Published ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Exams - Where can I get them? Professional Certifications and Degrees 22
V Certified Auditor - Need of additional certification specific to industry ( GMPs) ASQ vs ECA vs others Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
L ASQ's Biomedical Auditor Course Test ASQ - American Society for Quality 1
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
E Preparing for the ASQ CPGP (GMP professional exam), how to revise and remember the vast syllabus? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
Sidney Vianna Continual decline of ASQ - can it be saved? Nov 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 20
L ASQ CBA biomedical auditor - CBA primer material is enough to study? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
P ASQ Certified Biomedical Auditor (CBA) Certification Preparation 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 3
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
A Any recommendation for ASQ's CPGP (Pharmaceutical GMP Professional) Certification exam questions? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
Q ASQ/ANSI Z1.4–2003 (R2018) Change Log? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
J ASQ Chicago Training Institute - If any of you are interesting in teaching ASQ Certification preparation ASQ - American Society for Quality 1
D ASQ CMQ/OE Certification - Share your thoughts ASQ - American Society for Quality 3
T ASQ Lean 6sigma BB examination Six Sigma 3
R ASQ, CQI,............where else ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C AS9100 rev D 8.5.1 c 2 - Defining the Machine in-process frequency per ANSI/ASQ Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Sidney Vianna ASQ apparently doesn't know ISO does not issue ISO 9001 certificates? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
Marc ASQ Linkedin Group - Microsoft Sharepoint discussion - June 2017 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
P ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional is the certification worth it? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Passed ASQ Certified Quality Process Analyst Exam! What next? Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
R The on-line re-certification option on ASQ's website Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
R Material allowed in the ASQ CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) Exam ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
howste ASQ is Transitioning to Computer Based Exams ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13