Is Audit of Employee Canteen Food within the scope of OHSAS 18001?

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
An Organization serves Food for its Employees in the Canteen. Does OHSAS 18001 obligates the Organization to audit quality of this food periodically? If so, could you help me with the relevant requirement?
Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
control over or influence of
identified hazards and potential risks
employee's are potentially exposed
inside the fence line.

Such right words used by Randy.
OHSAS 18k sets the direction. Audit of food quality can be a response action.
The plan can be right from the 4.3.1 a) routine activity
The response coming from the 4.4.6 Operational controls

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
An Organization serves Food for its Employees in the Canteen. Does OHSAS 18001 obligates the Organization to audit quality of this food periodically? If so, could you help me with the relevant requirement?
Thanks in advance
Perhaps Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point - HACCP, or parts of it, may apply to your kitchen operations. HACCP is a food safety standard

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
It doesn't need to be difficult. A good start would be controlling temperatures of hot boxes, refrigerators and salad bars. By the way, I would extend this consideration to employee refrigerators. Even a simple off-the-shelf thermometer is better than nothing.
:2cents:

Alpine

Involved In Discussions
I would have thought the answer to that is no to audit of canteen food. The food aspect would be covered by HACCP or what ever food safety regulations the canteen has to comply with. The OHSAS is different. The canteen needs to ensure that they have measures in place to ensure the safety of customers and employees in that area e.g. appropriate manual handling, PPE, housekeeping, etc. Normally this could carried out via a checklist for that particular area.

Last edited:

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks in advance
Chennanite,

Yes, the food prep processes are essential to the ongoing health and well-being of the employees.

By involving the employees in health and safety management, I am surprised the organization would not have included their canteen's processes and controls to prevent sickness and ill-health.

Indeed, this lack of involvement may also be evidence of a deeper nonconformity.

John

Randy

Super Moderator
Looking at H&R would also require adding the "Roach Coach" if you have off-site vendors that come on for breaks and lunch....It's all right there in 4.3.1

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Let us go farther. It is not unreasonable to check around to see if pesticides or cleaners are stored next to food stuffs or utensils, and if they have a program for monitoring expiration dates and managing food recalls.

HACCP can be used as a guide, but not a standard because you're subject to OHSAS 18001 instead. It makes sense to use due diligence as the kitchen in your workplace probably isn't subject to county health inspections.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Thank you all.
I am sure such controls are of paramount importance, especially when it comes to Health matters. Unfortunately, sometimes it requires to pin point a set of words from the standard to convince guys easily. That was precisely the reason why I was looking for some requirement that can be interpreted to the controls on stuff prepared in the canteen (could be too specific to expect though). OHSAS has never been my cup of tea, just a colleague of mine came to me with this query and apparently I turned towards the best information resource I knew.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Hardness inspection Audit Finding Employee error Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
A Writing an Internal Audit Report Finding for Employee Awareness of QMS Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Audit Nonconformance? Employee References Work Instruction Internal Auditing 17
E Employee Medical Records - HR (Human Resources) Audit Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
T Employee Reviews not completed - Audit Finding - Difficult Finding to Answer Internal Auditing 31
M ISO 9001 Audit Concern about Written Job Scope & Responsibility for Employee? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Employee Training For Upcoming ISO 9001 Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V Internal Audit Reports - Is it wise to list specific employee names Internal Auditing 11
K IAF Audit Mandays - 70 employee design office General Auditing Discussions 1
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
J Remote Audit Experiences - June 2020 General Auditing Discussions 17
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q ISO 9001:2015 man days for surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F ISO 13485 - EU countries that could request another audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Layered audit updates after COVID-19 shutdowns Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
V Generic IATF 16949 Audit Checklist wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
M Any way to execute VDA 6.3 audit remotely? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
D Audit for ISO and AS 91XX and mitigating exposure to COVID-19 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 33
JoCam Certified Body Audit of MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
Ajit Basrur Track audit findings on Excel tracker Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Has anyone has been through an MDR audit? (3/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Audit Finding For Not Retaining Test Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T ISO 27001 sample audit report IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
D API Spec Q1 9th Edition # Re-audit - Disputing with API AARs Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
Ajit Basrur Withdrawal of Audit Report Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Definition Open Audit - What does an Open Audit mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
A IAF MD 5 - Audit Days calculator General Auditing Discussions 2
Jacquie Collins Stage 2 Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 25
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11