Is calibration from long ago still valid on never used pipettes?

Mandy

Involved In Discussions
We purchased some old pipettes that had never been used (essentially brand new, but from 2007 and 2009).
Inside each box is a quality control certificate stating that the pipette was tested in an accredited calibration laboratory.

The question is since some of these certificates are from 2007 and some from 2009 are they still valid, or do I need to send out the pipettes for calibration even through they have never been used?

Thanks

AndyN

Moved On
A simple answer is "what's the risk?" Did they change in any way which would invalidate the results? Probably not. So, the certificate is still valid...

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I agree completely with Andy. As long as the risk is evaluated and acceptable, then there is no reason not to use them.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Not knowing much about pipettes, other than they require regular recalibration, what is it about a pipettes' volume that can change that requires recalibration?
Would these influences apply to pipettes that were de facto stored but never used?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
a) I agree with assessing the risk... I have often written rationalization for extending calibration based on (lack of) use of certain instruments
b) on the calibration cert is there a re-calibrate by date?

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I don't have a lot of experience with pipettes, but I wonder what the shelf life of the elastic components that make up the seals in them. I don't know what kind of environment they are kept in, and I would be curious as to whether they could degrade or deteriorate while sitting there.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
We purchased some old pipettes that had never been used (essentially brand new, but from 2007 and 2009).
Inside each box is a quality control certificate stating that the pipette was tested in an accredited calibration laboratory.

The question is since some of these certificates are from 2007 and some from 2009 are they still valid, or do I need to send out the pipettes for calibration even through they have never been used?

Thanks
Now that you have your old new volumetric glassware, see the several .pdf in THIS search result

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi somashekar, :bigwave:
Thank you for the information you provided.
It somehow enlightens me with regard to this tool.
Thanks again.
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

BradM

Leader
Admin
There are a lot of variables here...
Personally, I would have then re-calibrated.

1. In general, unless you pay for a calibration certificate, many times the documentation is not very useful.
2. Does the documentation indicate at what points the pipette was verified? And what tips were used?
3. Different entities verify at different ranges; some at 5 and 95%; 20 and 50%; etc. you need to have it verified in the range that is used.
4. There is a lot of maintenance that should occur with a pipette service- proper aspiration, smooth dispensing, etc. having clean pistons and such is needed.
5. There are different specifications too: mfg. specs; ISO specs; etc. I'm not sure what you have spec'd for your pipettes.

If this is going to supplement some kind of performance verification that will be performed to assure proper operation , then you can probably waive service for a year. If not, you need to have it serviced by a competent vendor that will adjust/perform maintenance for proper operation; not just if it exceeds tolerance.

Top Bottom