SBS - The best value in QMS software

Is calibration of test weight required

Hi
At our comp[any we made changing tables, shower trolleys etc. for adults who need assistance during hygiene tasks.
Part of the testing procedure is placing weights onto the support surface for a period of time, the tolerance on weights in the relevant standard is +5% -0%.
My question is this,
Each weight can be up to 40kg grouped together to reach 200kg or above. we have a certified scale which is calibrated yearly and verified before use. In 9001 7.1.5.2 it says verified, calibrated or both. Are we OK to say the weights are verified using the certified scales and recorded. These weights are simply standard cast iron weights, no means of calibrating simply lumps of metal that have a certain mass. As far as I can see as long as this mass is verified using the scales all should be fine.
Is my assumption correct.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Yes, that's ok. You'll want to be able to show an auditor how the calibrated scale will suffice (precision, range, etc.) for this purpose. You'll also want to have ID tags on each weight to match to a calibration record entry for that weight.

If you are referring to those gold or silver Troemner/rice lake weights, the other thing I do is note an inspection interval. Calling out inspection for paint damage, damage to the lead slugs, etc. is a good way of checking the mass hasn't changed between some kind of more formal verification/calibration. Right now, I have mine on 2 year intervals for external 17025 cal, but may stretch to 5 if an auditor lets me get away with that interval and the inspections I noted.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good day AstorBannerman, welcome to the Cove!

What you are describing is called a self-certified "transfer" instrument and is not very different from the massive rail car weights used to check scales used for rail transportation of chemicals. You've received good advice here about the care of those weights that I hope you will heed. The point is that test weights do change and need to be periodically verified, especially for sensitive industries like personal care. J.A. King describes it in their article Proper Storage and Handling of Test Weights.

I hope this helps!

I am not affiliated with J.A. King.

QChas

Involved - Posts
Yes, that's ok. You'll want to be able to show an auditor how the calibrated scale will suffice (precision, range, etc.) for this purpose. You'll also want to have ID tags on each weight to match to a calibration record entry for that weight.
This is the same approach we use with weights being calibrated every 5 years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Ajit Basrur Should calibration range of Oscilloscope cover the test ranges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Raffy ISO 13485 NIST Traceability requirements for calibration of test equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Help with uncertainty calculation in the calibration of a Pyrogen Test Processor Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
T Moving a Calibration/Test Laboratory to a new Location General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
L How to set up a basic electronic test equipment calibration laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Functional Test Fixtures - Calibration Required? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
V How to use a Calibration Certificate in Uncertainty Calculation for a Test Measure Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 13
G UID Compliance Verifier Calibration Test Card Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibration & Test Laboratory Non-Conformance Procedure Example wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Test Uncertainty Ratio (TUR) for Ring Gage Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
R ISO 17025 M&TE (Measuring & Test Equipment) Calibration Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
R Incorporating New Electronic Test Equipment into our Calibration System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T ISO 17025 Clause 5.4.2 - Calibration and Test Method Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
6 Fuel Testing Laboratory Test Equipment - Methods and Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D How to determine the Calibration/Test Weights with their classes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T Calibration of Rental Electronic Measurement and Test Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Calibration Procedure for an IC (Integrated Circuit) Test Socket Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
N Report Content of 2 types of Calibration on the same equipment - Timer and Speed Test General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Building a Calibration Room Test Bench - Finding components, test leads, etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
suildur Assuring the Quality of Test and Calibration Results - ISO IEC 17025 Clause 5.9 ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
D Calibration Certificate - 'test report shall not be reproduced except in full' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
somashekar Calibration interval (Clause 7.6 ISO 13485:2003) - Biomedical test instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G ANSI/NCSL Z540.3 (Requirements for the Calibration of Measuring and Test Equipment) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
E Recalculation of MU for Test Equipment after every Calibration required? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
Q Calibration through Gage Blocks/Test Fixtures/Customer Supplied ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
P Koslow Scientific Metal Test Kit - Control and Calibration Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
N Calibration Frequency of Measurement and Test Devices Calibration Frequency (Interval) 26
D Manufacturer' Service Provider - Calibration of inspection test equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C CCT (Certified Calibration Technician) test - Is there somewhere I can get more help? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
J Procedure for the calibration of Test Indicators and related log sheet General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Everything Calibration Multiple Choice Test Questions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Calibration process study help needed - Have I have selected a correct test design? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G When to start calibration cycle - Electronic test equipment rental company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Internal Laboratory - Defining the Laboratory Scope - Inspection, Test, Calibration Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
C Pressure Transducer - Number of Calibration Test Points General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
A Calibration of inspection, measuring and test equipment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
K Should QS/TS certified internal test/calibration labs be required to be ISO17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
G Test Software 4.11 - We send the Collector out for Calibration but not the Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Dimensional Lab (CMM Room) vs. Physical Test/Calibration Lab - Same required temp/hum General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Test & Measuring Equipment - Statistical studies to calibration determine frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibration of Small Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26