Is capability applicable for a destructive test?

Dear all,

I'm a QE beginner, and I have some doubts concerning cabability process in a destructive test.

Background: I have a crankshaft that have a special characteristic about the supported torque. The minimum torque needs to be 21,5Nm, and when we do some tests with torquemeter, when the torque is exceed, the crankshaft breaks.

The question is: Is capability applicable for a destructive test?

Thanks in advance!

Bruno

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
welcome nhonibru! are you asking about the capability of the torque measuring system or the capability of the strength of the crankshafts?

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think we/you need more data. Did you incrementally apply the torque? in what increments? How much did you exceed the rating?

I think we/you need more data. Did you incrementally apply the torque? in what increments? How much did you exceed the rating?
Yes Al Rosen, we incrementally applied the torque. The values should be at a minimum of 21,5Nm and we found a lot of values in a range of 20,0 to 21,5Nm.

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes Al Rosen, we incrementally applied the torque. The values should be at a minimum of 21,5Nm and we found a lot of values in a range of 20,0 to 21,5Nm.
If you want some help, you post all your data, but out of the chute you are not meeting your spec minimum if you have a lot of values <21.5. You don't need a capability study to tell you this.

If you want some help, you post all your data, but out of the chute you are not meeting your spec minimum if you have a lot of values <21.5. You don't need a capability study to tell you this.
Attached the file with all the measures...

I agree with you, but the main question is if It's applicable the capability study in this case, as this is a critical characteristic , but to measure it you need to break all the samples you are measuring (destructive testing), I mean, It's not just a dimension that you can measure without breaking the samples (non-destructive testing).

I don't know if there is a standard saying something related to this, about non destructive tests and destructive tests and their capabilities...

I don't know if it's clear to you! I'm trying to explain my best...

Thanks one more time.

Attachments

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes you can do a capability study on characteristics that are tested by destructive methods. Your samples should be spread out over your NORMAL testing frequency. Just plot the data in time series against the specification limits. If you are required to calculate the silly Cpk index do so after you have tested enough pieces. Remember that Cpk is NOT intended to be calculated for each lot...

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
As BevD said, you can definitely perform a capability analysis on destructive tests. However, there is a lot you can do with purely graphical analysis before you worry about quantifying the capability.

First question: Do you have a stable process? Assuming the data are in time order, the process is reasonably stable. The points flagged below may be because the process is not normally distributed (strength tests are usually skewed).
1585255556460.png

Second question: Is the process capable? Even an untrained eye can see that the process is not even close to being capable. No statistics necessary.
1585255669381.png

What next? Your problem is either in the design (i.e., the design never was nor ever will be capable), or in the processing (e.g., machining, tool geometry, etc.) that reduces the torque strength from the designed strength. I would recommend carefully analyzing and identifying if there are differences between parts that fail at 23.6 versus those that fail at 20.8. If there are differences, it may be a process issue. If there are no differences, it may be a design issue.

As BevD said, you can definitely perform a capability analysis on destructive tests. However, there is a lot you can do with purely graphical analysis before you worry about quantifying the capability.

First question: Do you have a stable process? Assuming the data are in time order, the process is reasonably stable. The points flagged below may be because the process is not normally distributed (strength tests are usually skewed).
View attachment 26621

Second question: Is the process capable? Even an untrained eye can see that the process is not even close to being capable. No statistics necessary.
View attachment 26622

What next? Your problem is either in the design (i.e., the design never was nor ever will be capable), or in the processing (e.g., machining, tool geometry, etc.) that reduces the torque strength from the designed strength. I would recommend carefully analyzing and identifying if there are differences between parts that fail at 23.6 versus those that fail at 20.8. If there are differences, it may be a process issue. If there are no differences, it may be a design issue.
Thank you so much! It really helped me a lot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Capability level applicable to SPC process or overall process? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
Q Capability study with a minimum spec Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Iec 60601 Impedance and current-carrying capability IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
E Sampling for capability studies for variables and attributes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Statistic Tools to Know Capability of Sealing Machine for Seal Width Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
V Generic requirements regarding capability study in automotive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Ron Rompen Ford Method - Position Capability with MMC Modifier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design input - Process capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Short term vs Long term Capability - We ship millions of parts in a year Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Are Capability Requirement(s) Valid for All Characteristics? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Y Process Capability for Non-Normal Data - Philosophical Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Process Capability in a High Precision Environment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
M CAAC-145 Manuals - Looking for examples of MOM's, MMM's Capability Lists, etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 13
J Powdercoating Capability Employing a Robotic Arm Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Excel Template for Cgk Study wanted (Capability Gauges Study) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
V Product Development - When to start calculating Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
V Capability for Correlated Charteristics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Proving Process Capability of a Packing Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
R Visual Attribute Inspector Capability and KAPPA Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
ncwalker Process Capability Study - Aggregate vs. Individual Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
KyloDen Capability Study and Qualifying a Supplier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
V Process Capability for parameters with non-normal distribution. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
J Process Capability - How much percentage of tolerance? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculations Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculation Imported Legacy Blogs 0
T Results from conducting a Capability Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
H Tolerance, decimal places, and measuring equipment capability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M How to determine Process Capability using Minitab 17 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Process Capability - Changing Limits to Improve Cpk or find Root Causes? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Cpk vs Ppk to look at the Capability by Fixture Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B Long Term Process Capability from miltiple Machines and Fixtures Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3