Is computing Hardware part of the IVD

We're building a Whole Slide Scanner, intended to be used as an IVD. The scanner however operates together with a PC (On which the software runs).
The software will be classified as an IVD and needs to follow regulations pertaining to the same, my doubt however is whether the PC needs to be classified as an IVD too? If not, how do we conduct EMI/EMC and Safety Tests without the PC causing interference in those tests?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
In my oppinion the computer is not part of the IVD, even though it is used together with it.

IEC 61010-1 says:

1.1.3 Computing equipment
This standard applies only to computers, processors, etc. which form part of equipment within
the scope of this standard or are designed for use exclusively with the equipment.

NOTE Computing devices and similar equipment within the scope of IEC 60950 and conforming to its
requirements are considered to be suitable for use with equipment within the scope of this standard. However,
some of the requirements of IEC 60950 for resistance to moisture and liquids are less stringent than those in this
standard (see 5.4.4 second paragraph)).
(OK, IEC 60950 is more or less obsolete, but then IEC 62368 would be the right choice.)

Your PC is an off-the-shelf device and not exclusively designed for your IVD? Do you even have the PC included or are you offering the IVD with the software and the end user can use any PC?

Regarding EMC: I would directly ask an accredited test lab for IEC 61326), if it is sufficient to have the corresponding EMC conformity proof for IT equipmnet for the PC and how the PC would be taken into account during testing of the whole slide scanner.

Thanks Benjamin for the clarification!
The PC is an off the shelf device, but the software cannot be installed off the cloud/media sticks. There are certain hardware and operating system/environment restrictions which is why we install the software on the PC and then ship it with the scanner.

I have asked an accredited lab, but they weren't aware of the particular requirements, do you have any in mind which could provide us the right guidance?

In my oppinion the computer is not part of the IVD, even though it is used together with it.

IEC 61010-1 says:

(OK, IEC 60950 is more or less obsolete, but then IEC 62368 would be the right choice.)

Your PC is an off-the-shelf device and not exclusively designed for your IVD? Do you even have the PC included or are you offering the IVD with the software and the end user can use any PC?

Regarding EMC: I would directly ask an accredited test lab for IEC 61326), if it is sufficient to have the corresponding EMC conformity proof for IT equipmnet for the PC and how the PC would be taken into account during testing of the whole slide scanner.

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
I am sorry, but I cannot recommend a particular lab.

But I just had a look at scope if IEC 61326-1, which says:

Computing devices and assemblies and similar equipment within the scope of information
technology equipment (ITE) and complying with applicable ITE EMC standards can be used in
systems within the scope of this part of IEC 61326 without additional testing, if they are
suitable for the intended electromagnetic environment
I don't have the whole standard (the quote is from a preview only). But you should have a look at the electromagnetic environment definitins of the standard and than deceide wether your PC is suitable for your intented environment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Should Data be Normal before Computing Baselines? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
K Computing Cpk with out determining if my data is normal Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
R Cloud Computing Requirements for Design History Files for Software Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
S Computing Control Limits in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Jen Kirley What's procedurally required for "cloud computing"? TS16949 Clause 4.2.4. Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
K CE Certification for Secure Computing/Tempest company CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Help on p-chart - Computing new control limits and chart suitability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
P Computing six sigma when the USL & LSL are varying Six Sigma 16
R Computing Supplier Quality with multiple UOM Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
Marc Silicon-based chip that can produce laser beams - Major computing advancement After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
A Overall equipment effectiveness - Computing OEE taking all machines taken together Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
Marc Hacker Hunters - An elite force takes on the dark side of computing After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
D How to properly measure serrations on hardware Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
J Hardware Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
T Ford Q1 MSA - Virtual Site Visit Hardware Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
F Biocompatibility evaluation for Hardware/Interface Components? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
W Air Quality Measurement Hardware and Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
A Components of a medical device - Hardware robotic hand EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Documenting hardware on Form 2 of AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R Validation of Medical Device Hardware containing Software - How many to Validate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Mammography standards or regulations for radiology software (no hardware)? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
P Software requirement and design specifications - Medical device contains both hardware and software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
N Configuration Management - Physical Audit and Functional Audit for Software and Hardware General Auditing Discussions 4
C Supplier Assessment for Hardware supporting SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Missing Hardware in Accessory Kits Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J Hardware Receiving Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
S Testing software-only device on hardware - What are the hardware parameters? Software Quality Assurance 6
C Aerospace Hardware Revision Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Finding a hardware supplier/distributor compliant with RoHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
N Specifying a MINITAB PC Hardware - What matters? Using Minitab Software 2
K Hardware and OS Responsibility in FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
E Hardware (Such as Rivets and Bolts) - Chemical and Physical Test Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Necessary test documents for Class II Medical Device Hardware and Firmware ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
V What are the criteria for determining extent of requalification (hardware upgrade) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Use of Non-Medically Test Hardware in Medical Environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
K Use of off the shelf hardware in Medical Devices class II IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 10
S CMM Hardware - Renishaw Probe Magnetism question Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
R Triggering Root Cause Analysis for Hardware Returns Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
F Traceability Requirements for Computer Hardware Equipment under ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Defining the scope for ISO 9001 Registration - Software, Hardware and Customer Care ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Assessing Process Capability on Variation (Hardware Adjustment Mean Shift) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M Mobile Medical Platforms - How to deal with Supplier Hardware/Software Changes? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
michellemmm Hardware Design Standards - Printed Circuit Board Assembly EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
B Optical Steel Surface Inspection System (best hardware to recommend) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B J-STD-001DS Space Applications Electronic Hardware Addendum Certification Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Minitab 14 USB Hardware Key Availbility Using Minitab Software 7
K AS9100 Suppliers of Hardware, Fasteners, Washers, etc. - What standard to use? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4