Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Is Controlled Shipping requirement Sampling Based or 100% Inspection?

hello All,

It s awkward for me to ask this but here goes. Is controlled shipping requirement sampling-based? or 100%inspection?:bonk: Thank you in advance.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
hello All,

It s awkward for me to ask this but here goes. Is controlled shipping requirement sampling-based? or 100%inspection?:bonk: Thank you in advance.
I'm assuming that you're referring to automotive requirements, such as GM's GP5. It depends on the customer's requirements in this regard. If I remember correctly, GM's controlled shipping procedure has three levels (I, II and III) with I requiring augmented in-house inspection (not necessarily 100%) and II requiring third-party inspection in addition to the Level I requirements, and III requiring 100% inspection by a third party.

In any event, and as I could be off-base a bit, you should confirm your customer's requirements.

Jim G

Involved In Discussions
Jim is correct in saying the Customer defines the requirements. An example from one of our Customers reads:
1 Level One Controlled Shipping (CS1) - Controlled Shipping is a formal demand by Customer for a supplier to put in place an additional inspection process to sort for nonconforming material, while implementing root-cause analysis and corrective actions. The Controlled Shipping process is in addition to normal controls. The data obtained from the Controlled Shipping inspection process is critical as both a measure of the effectiveness of the containment process and the corrective actions taken to eliminate the initial nonconformance.
2 Level Two Controlled Shipping - Includes the same processes as Level 1 Controlled Shipping with an additional inspection process that is completed by a third party. Customer and the supplier mutually agree upon the third party company and location. The third party company must be minimum certified to ISO 9001:2000.
Hope this helps

Top Bottom