Is correlation matrix required for Customer Specific Requirements in Quality Manual?

Mortalis

Involved In Discussions
My company has a recertification audit upcoming in 3 months and we were just informed that this audit has been selected by the SMMT as a witness audit. I know that a witness audit has nothing to do with our QMS but the effect it has on the auditor tends to bring a bit more scrutiny than normal. As such I am making an attempt to tighten up the system to minimize the impact on the comapny.

One of the areas in contention is the whole CSR/SQM/QMS relationship that seems to be a hot topic with all the big players now with the new rules and such. There is a huge focus on Customer Specific Requirements.

My wife works for one of the largest (if not the largest) CB and is their Global TS manager and has been at this stuff since QS was implemented as well as having veto power with the IATF (for whatever that gets you) so I figure she knows her stuff. When I ask her for past experience/knolwedge of what is normally looked for, the answers I get tend to make my eyes glaze over. She and I can get into some really heated discussions due to the fact that I am a strong advocate of value added vs non value added and that generally is the basis of much of my argument to which she simply says, "that's just the way it has to be". Any way, I digress.

She has suggested that I create a matrix to correlate our Customer Specific Requirements with how we address them within our QMS. When I look at, for instance, the matrix that Stiljoor has posted in the documents section here I cant help but ask, what value does something like that add to our system? If a company has a functioning and certifiable TS system then all those items should be addressed within the QMS. Now, I can see anything specific that a Customer may require that is not completely detailed in the TS/QMS such as packaging, inspection sampling, Cpk requirements but those items should be addressed separately where they are required.

So, again I ask, what should I be getting as far as adding value to my system by creating a matrix that rehashes the TS standard and then lists where in the Customer Requirements that is stated besides being able to "check the box" as complete?

If anyone can explain to me the rationale behind the thought process of creating sucha matrix I would greatly appreciate that.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

mwohlg

Involved In Discussions
Re: Is correlation matrix required for Customer Specific Requirements in Quality Manu

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding your question, but I had a simple matrix like this to remind me (and others being audited) of exactly where in our system we covered each requirement. This was strictly so that when the auditor asked, "how do you ensure... ?" we could consistently say, "We cover that in our procedure xxx, section yyy..."

The value add was that the audit went a little smoother, with less fumbling for words, hunting for procedures, etc.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Is correlation matrix required for Customer Specific Requirements in Quality Manu

A matrix can be helpful, but only if it is used. If there is no matrix, scrutinize (audit) your own system and make sure it makes sense and that there are no requirements being missed. That includes flowdown within the organization and to suppliers.

--------------------------------------

The last place I was at was AS9100 and Nadcap.

The Nadcap audit followed a checklist, and I was supposed to have that checklist filled out in advance so that the answers were ready. I did so the first time and used that list for the next audit as well.

After I left the company, they had their first Nadcap Audit without me, and it went rather smoothly, from what I understand.

Next, they had an AS9100 audit. Without a checklist and a 'preset' answer for each question, it was a struggle. From what I can gather, there was at least 1 if not several majors written up. I feel horrible that I was ineffective in promoting the QMS at that company, but the management there had that "Quality is managed by 1 person and doesn't effect anything else" mentality.

:argue:

I'm glad I am not there anymore!

Eric

P

Phulpy

No it is not "required":horse:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L ISO 9001:2015 Correlation Matrix & Change Summary ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Correlation matrix of ISO 13485 and other country regulations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
Q Correlation Matrix of ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 9001: Wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Correlation matrix between HSA TS-01 and 21CFR820 or ISO13485 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Q Correlation Matrix and Value Stream Mapping? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
Q ISO 13485, FDA's QSR, CMDR, MDD: Seeking Internal Audit Correlation Matrix Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
H Process correlation matrix - Just how far "into the weeds" do I go? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D ISO 13485, FDA's QSR, CMDR, MDD: Seeking Correlation Matrix ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 41
R Preliminary MSA and Sockets' correlation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
S Significance of regression, correlation coefficient, hypothesesi, confidence interval Using Minitab Software 8
triathlonx13 Leak test correlation - Bubble to Air Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
Ron Rompen Best Practices in CMM Correlation Studies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Coefficient of correlation (r) and b1 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Ajit Basrur MS Excel to study Correlation between Humidity & Differential Pressure Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
T Automated and Manual Measurement System Comparison (Correlation) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
Q Correlation between ASTM & China's GB (Guobiao) / YY Standards China Medical Device Regulations 4
M How to find the number of required data - Correlation with 4 variables Using Minitab Software 2
R Compression Spring Force measurement correlation with Supplier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
ncwalker Correlation vs. Causation - Why Correlation does not imply Causation Example Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
J Correlation between OEE and FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 2
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
A Statistical Correlation between ordered SKUs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
C Test Correlation - Moving Test Equipment to a New Location Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
P How to do Nonlinear Regression and generate a Correlation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
B Correlation Coefficient and Industry Standards - Corrrelation between two of my CMMs Using Minitab Software 2
V Identifying Significant Factors - Regression Analysis vs Correlation vs ANOVA vs DOE Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
S The relationship (correlation) of 5 Core Tools with TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C What is difference between a t-test and Correlation Coefficient Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
optomist1 Correlation and Causation - Causation seems to be Ambiguous and Slippery Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
M Correlation between 2 Variables - Potential X's that might affect yield percentage Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Correlation Study between a new Measurement Device and an existing Device Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
M Correlation Production Time Study on a Process on an Assembly Line Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
O Correlation of 2 Test Devices - 2 samples (13 parameters) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
K Definition Correlation - The meaning of correlation and and its application in data analysis Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
N Correlation of Gage R&R Value with the Measured Value of Parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Improving coefficient correlation result Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
H Use SPC to Calculate Correlation Device Tolerance - Hybrid Electronic Components Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
P Is there a correlation between Teen Violence & Video Games? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 28
D Two Gauges (Gages) - Two measurements correlation I do not know how to explain Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
S Correlation or Mann Whitney test results? Which to use Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
V Correlation and determining the % the contribution Six Sigma 3
S When to use Intraclass Correlation Coefficient vs. Coefficient of Variance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
R Checking Correlation Between Two Similar Gages Measuring the Same Parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
J Correlation using t-test and correlation coefficient - What is the correct result? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 43
A Inter laboratory correlation - Two laboratories with different methods? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
SteelMaiden Competency evaluation records - Direct correlation to EMS-related topics Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
A Correlation or Hypothesis Test? Which is approprite to use on what kind of problem? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D Correlation of two tests that are NOT linearly correlated? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
S MSA (measurement systems analysis) on several CMM's - Correlation issue Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3