Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Is design verification and validation required for samples accompanying the quotes ?

Haddad9921

Starting to get Involved
We are ISO 9001 certified company with design. We quote jobs to many customers every day. Only 15% of these quotes become real jobs. Some Customers during the quoting process request a sample to be sent to them. Our Design department make the sample and send to customers. My question, if these are just samples that might and might not become jobs, do we still have to do the design verification, review and validation?
We usually do all that for any design once it becomes a job but not during the quoting/sampling process.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: ISO 9001-2008 Design and Development

We are ISO 9001 certified company with design. We quote jobs to many customers every day. Only 15% of these quotes become real jobs. Some Customers during the quoting process request a sample to be sent to them. Our Design department make the sample and send to customers. My question, if these are just samples that might and might not become jobs, do we still have to do the design verification, review and validation?
We usually do all that for any design once it becomes a job but not during the quoting/sampling process.
If you give a sample that is already a product for someone else, you have performed the design verification, review and validation...
If you make a specific change to a designed product to give as sample, then you have all the necessary information for a design change process and you will do the design verification, review and validation, to the extent of the new requirement. This may be accepted and ordered by your prospective customer, which then becomes a new designed product for the customer, however for you it is a design change process leading to a new product.
Either way the design verification, review and validation is coming into action.
If the sample making and delivery is not into your design process, then I wonder how you make samples when customer requires.. On the other hand, until that new sample stands approved and moves to production, it remains in the design phase, which means again that design verification, review and validation and considered, but not good for release.

Last edited:
I

isoalchemist

Not knowing your product makes the answer a bit difficult. My :2cents: is if the sample is intended as an "example" of the final product and is based on an existing product or technology I would not consider design controls needed.

If has been made exactly to the customer specification and it is intended as what the final product will be, then you would need the design controls to ensure it would be repeatable.

Your product (and industry) is key because I could envision a scenario where your process and changes in your process are designed and validated and that is where you stop. Any product within the validated range would then be under control.

The simplest way to answer this is to ask, do your customers ask you to "design" packaging to suit their requirements and do you have authority to change the specification for the packaging, without customer approval? If the answers are "No", then you aren't design responsible!

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Is design verification and validation required for samples accompanying the quote

Haddad,

Sell your packaging design services. The samples of your work show the sort of packaging your company could design and make for your customers.

The samples are not validated for the customer's purpose or conditions of use.

Is your sales team competent to sell your most important contribution to the success of your customers? Are they gathering design inputs? Are they selling the value of your graphic design and packaging design services to prospective customers?

Too often design remains unsold, under-appreciated and under-developed. If you validate the samples as fit for the customer's purpose and conditions of use you are probably giving away your design for free.

Have your sales team arrange a part payment on completion of the design when the customer signs off on your validated design. For this your sales people will have to deeply understand customer needs before the sales call.

At the moment, it seems to me, they are merely seeking the opportunity to quote.

John

Top Bottom