Is Gage R&R required in a small company by ISO 9001?

B

Bob_M

Is Gage R&R required?

I understand the "need" for regular Gage R&R to ensure they measuring device and the operators are still capable of making accurate and correct measurements...

BUT does a company (small) that uses calibrated equipment (mainly digitial calipers and basic micrometers) really HAVE to perform Gage R&R in the eyes of ISO 9K2k?

Our small company (currently around 25) is currently ISO 9001:1994 (working on 9k2k upgrade) and the LAST Quality Manager wrote our ISO manual, procedures, WIs etc. He wrote a rather loose Gage R&R program (Once per year if I remeber correctly). Unfortunately at the time we had about 50 employee as a "Quality Assistant" that helped perform and enter the Gage R&R data.

When we lost her the old manager seemed to stop the Gage R&R studies. I have not had the time to start them up again.

Other than the fact that we HAVE a Gage R&R policy, do WE really HAVE to perform these R&R studies?

[Like I said I know why and the benifits of the studies, but is EVERYONE doing them? Does everyone have to?]

Side Note: Yes we use our calibrated devices to VERIFY our dimension, but since we are a metal stamping company, the only real part variations we normal get are thickness which is not usually a major factor.

Any input or comments to set me straight or did we go overboard?

Thanks Bob_M

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy Olson

Hi Bob,

There is nothing in 9k2k that requires gage R&Rs to be done. I used to work in a commercial cal lab and I know of a number of companies (large and small) that don't do R&Rs. If you don't see any value or benefits to doing them, then there's no reason to worry about it. Hope that helps.

B

Bob_M

Re: Nope.

JaySturgeon said:

The standard does make that requirement.
Where?

I'd agree its IMPLIED in the plan-do-check-act cycle as far as verifying product conformance.

Anyways I just rechecked our 1994 style procedure and it states:
"a study MAY be performed at least every two years"

SO technically our BEHINDS are covered, but it may not be the BEST policy/practice in the LONG RUN.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
not needed

Hi Bob,

No, Gage R&R is not required. We are certified to the 1994 version, working toward upgrade, and the only R&R I have done was specifically requested by one customer.

Regards,
CarolX

B

Bob_M

Re: not needed

CarolX said:

Hi Bob,

No, Gage R&R is not required. We are certified to the 1994 version, working toward upgrade, and the only R&R I have done was specifically requested by one customer.

Regards,
CarolX
I've only done one R&R in the last 7months since I became the QA person and it was for a full blown Level 3 PPAP (on a very simple part).

We tend to take good care of our shop gages and if they don't pass calibration, we stop using them. I'm real glad were not QS!!!

Y
There's no clear indication on the ISO9001:2000 clauses that a GRR need to be performed.
However, I believe that is a proactive approach for a company to ensure all their readings can be 'trusted' and also that it will show the actual capability of a process (with the correct discrimination to show variations).

It's just like asking yourself whether you are going to be certified ISO9001:2000 because of economic pressure (where all your competitors are certified), or you want to be proactive, cutting cost, providing better quality product ?
If you choose the later, I strongly urge you to look at any form of continuous improvement tools that help to sustain the certification in the future.

The whole approach for auditing will be slightly different now, as most auditors (having being exposed to QS9000 and ISO/Ts 16949) tend to look at 'performance-compliance' rather than 'clause-compliance'. Effectiveness and efficiency of the process implementation is the key focus.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Unique ID Required for Thread Gage Replacements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Is Gage R&R required on a 100% Dimensional Layout? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
DietCokeofEvil How is it that gage manufacturers are not required to be accredited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Variation (using ANOVA method) Required for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
P Gage Accuracy required for a Measurement Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
T When is GRR (Gage R&R) required? AIAG MSA Manual Version 4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
bobdoering Gage Resolution Required for SPC! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Critique Required on GR&R (Gage R&R) Training Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
J Attribute Gage Studies - What gages are required to have Measurement Systems Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Gage pin calibration - Actual calibration readings required on the calibration cert General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Gage R&R Frequency required by TS 16949 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 33
V Gage Calibration Stickers in harsh environments - Are Calibration Stickers Required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
S Calibration required? We buy part of our machined parts - Supplier gage calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Samples Selection in Gage R&R - Number of Decimal Places Required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Gauge (Gage) R&R study - Samples required from full tolerance spread? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K During Gage R&R, is calculation of ndc value required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 24
A Is GR&R (Gage R&R) required for simple attribute gauges like plug gauges? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
H How often is Attribute Gage R&R required to be performed? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M Gage R&R for effort required to actuate the horn switch with a load cell Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Ford Gage R&R - Required Number of Appraisers per MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Gage R&R required on 6" rules, tape rules, verniers or micrometers? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Gage R&R Required on Micrometers and Calipers? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K Fixture Gage R&R - What is Required? Fixture part of the measurement system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
P What gage studies are required for PPAP? APQP and PPAP 5
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3