Is Gage R&R required on a 100% Dimensional Layout?

B

bchapman

I have been asked the following question and am looking for answers. Since our 100% dimensional measurements (performed on the CMM) are on the control plan, do we need to perform a GRR for these? Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
are you - or someone - thinking that because you measure each part (instead of a sample of parts) that a GRR is not needed? If so, the sample size of the inspection is not relevant to the applicability of a GRR

Or are you asking about using about using the 'family' of similar characteristics for the GRR so that you don't have to perform a GRR on each individual characteristic?

If so, families of characteristics can be utilized, however, you need to be cautious about how you group them. CMM's are sensitive to the type of characteristic (geometry), the access/touch off path (Spatial), the fixturing method, any within part dimensional differences that can be confounded with other factors, the type of material and the resolution as well as the size of the feature...I have seen two very similar parts (same shape and features just a different size) have completely different GRRs due to some of the factors I listed

AMIT BALLAL

Trusted Information Resource
I have been asked the following question and am looking for answers. Since our 100% dimensional measurements (performed on the CMM) are on the control plan, do we need to perform a GRR for these? Thanks!

As per ISO/TS16949:2009, if any measurement technique is specified in control plan, you should do MSA study of that Measurement system.

MSA study of all dimensions won't be required (Don't know whether this is one of your questions, still clarifying).

:2cents:

Regards,
Amit

Last edited:
B

bchapman

You say that MSA is not required on all of the 100% dimensional requirements. Let me see if my thinking here is correct. MSA (GRR) needs to be performed on all measurement systems that we end up doing a capability study or SPC charts on. Since we do not do capability or SPC charts for the CMM we do not need to do GRR. Is this correct? Additionally, since the 100% Dimensional does not specifically call out a measurement system per say, we do not need GRR on the dimensionals?

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
bchapman, it appears you have misunderstood some of the previous replies. Whether or not you do SPC or capability on any of the features measured with the CMM doesn't matter - the measurement method is shown on the control plan, therefor you must do MSA on the equipment used for that measurement method.
If you choose NOT to show the CMM on the control plan, that is fine - but then you need to be prepared to define the method you DID use for measurement, and have supporting evidence (MSA studies) for the alternative method(s) used.
Long story short - yes, you need to do an MSA study on the different types of characteristics measured. Bev D raised a very valid point cautioning you about lumping features together without proper consideration .

B

bchapman

Okay. Thanks all for the valuable input. My final question is this... I need an MSA study for the CMM machine, but do we need to perform a GRR for every single separate part (automotive reflectors, etc.), every separate PPAP? Or do we just need to have one GRR study on hand for the CMM?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
for clarity (now that you raised the capability/SPC aspect): GRR is to determine if your measurement system is capable of distinguishing passing parts from failing parts - this applies to capability studies AS WELL as and even more importantly for your inspection testing that accepts or rejects parts as conforming to the specifications. GRR also helps you understand if your system can distinguish between parts well enough to detect true process changes for SPC.

as for your final question: I and others have addressed this by discussing the 'family' question. So I'm wondering what your real confusion is on this point? (it is NOT sufficient to perform a single GRR on 'the CMM')

From my earlier post: "families of characteristics can be utilized, however, you need to be cautious about how you group them. CMM's are sensitive to the type of characteristic (geometry), the access/touch off path (Spatial), the fixturing method, any within part dimensional differences that can be confounded with other factors, the type of material and the resolution as well as the size of the feature...I have seen two very similar parts (same shape and features just a slightly different size) have completely different GRRs due to some of the factors I listed "

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Unique ID Required for Thread Gage Replacements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
DietCokeofEvil How is it that gage manufacturers are not required to be accredited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Variation (using ANOVA method) Required for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
P Gage Accuracy required for a Measurement Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
T When is GRR (Gage R&R) required? AIAG MSA Manual Version 4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
bobdoering Gage Resolution Required for SPC! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Critique Required on GR&R (Gage R&R) Training Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
J Attribute Gage Studies - What gages are required to have Measurement Systems Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Gage pin calibration - Actual calibration readings required on the calibration cert General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Gage R&R Frequency required by TS 16949 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 33
V Gage Calibration Stickers in harsh environments - Are Calibration Stickers Required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
S Calibration required? We buy part of our machined parts - Supplier gage calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Samples Selection in Gage R&R - Number of Decimal Places Required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Gauge (Gage) R&R study - Samples required from full tolerance spread? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K During Gage R&R, is calculation of ndc value required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 24
A Is GR&R (Gage R&R) required for simple attribute gauges like plug gauges? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
H How often is Attribute Gage R&R required to be performed? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M Gage R&R for effort required to actuate the horn switch with a load cell Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Ford Gage R&R - Required Number of Appraisers per MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Gage R&R required on 6" rules, tape rules, verniers or micrometers? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B Is Gage R&R required in a small company by ISO 9001? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Gage R&R Required on Micrometers and Calipers? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K Fixture Gage R&R - What is Required? Fixture part of the measurement system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
P What gage studies are required for PPAP? APQP and PPAP 5
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3