Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Is goodwill a quality criteria?

sal881vw

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello all,
I hope that all of you are enjoying summer :rolleyes: . I tried my hand at another short article that I hope not to bore you with :mg:

I have saved the article in a different format and moved it to post #6

Last edited:

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yep - a window pops up that says word needs a converter to view the doc and offers to install now. I did not opt to, as I don't know what it is.

sal881vw said:
Hello all,
I hope that all of you are enjoying summer :rolleyes: . I tried my hand at another short article that I hope not to bore you with :mg: .
Like others, I have no time to figure out what your original program was in order to open your document in readable form.

Best option, in my opinion, is for you to convert document to plain text (ascii) and repost. If formatting and other considerations are important, the Adobe web site offers a free transcription of a document into pdf. It will lead you through directions to get a quality finished document.

Alternately, tell us what program you used to create the doc file.

sal881vw

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sorry for the delay

I was out all day yesterday. I'm working from home and I did open the doc. from my side when I posted it and so I thought that it was ok. The document is in OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 text document. I'll try and fix the problem by saving it to windows 95 format and post it again, do excuse the inconvenience.

Attachments

Last edited:
sal881vw said:
I was out all day yesterday. I'm working from home and I did open the doc. from my side when I posted it and so I thought that it was ok. The document is in OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 text document. I'll try and fix the problem by saving it to windows 95 fromat and post it again, do excuse the inconvenience.
You fixed it Silvio. I can read thae latest version :agree1: . On with the show...

/Claes

A

Al Dyer

In my opinion goodwill is one of the saving graces in our chosen field. I have said for years that if you have an "in" with a customer rep., half the job is done. It is a tough business keeping customers happy, and the best thing to do is acquire some "good will" with an SQA and become a partner with them. Above and beyond "Big 3 Policy", the action happens on a lower level and having a friend in the system is the only way to smooth over the small problems and expedite the larger problems that should not be ignored.

Which is not to say "kiss butt"!

Al...

C

Charmed

Sal's Goodwill

Dear Sal:

You fixed the problem and now have earned my goodwill. I tried to read the file yesterday, and could not open it either. I got a message saying it is on a CD ROM etc. and could't open it. I thought, I will wait to see if anyone reports any problems. Looks like others had some problems.

First of all I enjoyed reading it and it was 'good' to know how 'goodwill' can actually be measured. Now, I have a question. In the last paragraph you mention that there are some (in any organization, I assume) who do not generate goodwill. What do we do with such people, if Goodwill = Asking Price - Market Value is taken to be the only reason for the company's existence? Any thoughts Covers?

Charmed :)

C

Charmed

HBR Article on Market Value Added

Dear Covers:

Sal881vw's article on goodwill reminded me of a recent article in the July/Aug 2004 issue of the Harvard Business Review, by G. Bennett Stewart III. The author defines Market Value Added (MVA), which is sort of like a goodwill, if we look at goodwill as being defined by the equation

Goodwill = Asking Price - Market Value

Stewart defines MVA by the equation,

Market Value Added (MVA) = Market Value - Total Capital Invested

He then ranks companies according to their composite Revenues Growth score, over the period 1983 to 2003, and the Ratio of MVA/2003 Revenue. To make a long story short, the following are the top five companies from the US, ranked according to these criteria.

1. GE
2. Walmart
3. Altria Group
4. Home Depot
5. Microsoft

Intel, which holds a rank of 12 in this list of US companies, had a very high ratio MVA/2003 Revenue = 5.59, second only to Microsoft, whose ratio was 7.07. But it ranked relatively low because of its lower revenue growth. I see a connection between this article and the idea of goodwill discussed by Sal.

Charmed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom