Is handling chemically treated parts safe?

Tyler

Involved In Discussions
I have been researching the risks associated with chemically treated parts. All of the information I find covers the risks associated with the chemical conversion process, but I can't find anything about risks associated with already treated parts. Is there a significant risk of exposure to harmful substances (Cr VI, in particular) just by handling parts that have been chemically treated?

To be a bit more specific, we deal with a lot of parts that have been chemically treated per MIL-DTL-5541, which includes hex chrome.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I have been researching the risks associated with chemically treated parts. All of the information I find covers the risks associated with the chemical conversion process, but I can't find anything about risks associated with already treated parts. Is there a significant risk of exposure to harmful substances (Cr VI, in particular) just by handling parts that have been chemically treated?

To be a bit more specific, we deal with a lot of parts that have been chemically treated per MIL-DTL-5541, which includes hex chrome.
Have you looked at the Material Data Sheet (MDS) for the substances of concern?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Fwiw, since Jim is apparently an old guy like me... It's now called and SDS, and suppliers are legally required to provide them...

Tyler

Involved In Discussions
Have you looked at the Material Data Sheet (MDS) for the substances of concern?

Yes. But the SDS is for handling the material in the raw form.

I am not an expert in chemical processing, but I know that most chemical processes work via a chemical reaction that changes the surface of the material. Thus, I do not know if the hazards on the SDS apply after processing. It may be the case that the material is changed or altered in such a way so as not to be as harmful. Or perhaps the material gets integrated into the product in a way that prevents it from being released.

Again, I don't know, which is why I am asking.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
@Miner: LOL...you're just a sorta old guy. Hazcom 2012 changed the term...likely because they had funding they had to use up. What a pain that was.

@Tyler: If the material is hazardous, the supplier is required by law (in the USA) to provide an SDS for the thing they shipped you. If not hazardous, they are no longer required...and their reply should be in some form of "we don't have to because it isn't hazardous".

Tyler

Involved In Discussions
If the material is hazardous, the supplier is required by law (in the USA) to provide an SDS for the thing they shipped you. If not hazardous, they are no longer required...and their reply should be in some form of "we don't have to because it isn't hazardous".

Yeah. We have never heard anything from our suppliers about the risks associated with finished parts. I just sent them an email about it. Hopefully they will be able to answer my question.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
FWIW, if you have the SDS for the coating material before application you can double check their claims according to your best knowledge...and act on it yourselves.

Top Bottom