Is Handwritten Raw Data required to keep with Electronic Records?

Q

QACen

When documenting test data during any tests in the design controls, is it required to keep the raw data? Currently, engineers would hand write their observations and then transfer to an electronic format for the official, signed report.

From what I read in the medical device related regulations (13485 and 21 CFR 820/11), I don't see that it is a requirement and no one has said anything to us about keeping raw data in the last 10 years.

Reason asked is because we have a new engineer who came from a company who required that all raw data be kept with electronic records.

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
When documenting test data during any tests in the design controls, is it required to keep the raw data? Currently, engineers would hand write their observations and then transfer to an electronic format for the official, signed report.

From what I read in the medical device related regulations (13485 and 21 CFR 820/11), I don't see that it is a requirement and no one has said anything to us about keeping raw data in the last 10 years.

Reason asked is because we have a new engineer who came from a company who required that all raw data be kept with electronic records.

Thanks!
That other company may very well have had a requirement to keep raw data with electronic records, but there is no such requirement in the standard.

v9991

If i understand the logic, since raw data is being transcribed/entered into electronic system, raw data need not be retrained!.
despite making it transcription online&real-time, raw data which is manually recorded constitutes primary source of data)

the hand-written data constitutes the primary data, which records the exact observations as the activities are carried out. Just because, the values are transcribed into electronic system, does not take away the importance of primary&raw data.

part 11 guidance. Definition of E-record accomodating hybrid systems.
Records that are required to be maintained under predicate rules, that are maintained in electronic formatin addition to paper format,
and that are relied on to perform regulated activities

In some cases, actual business practices may dictate whether you are
using electronic records instead of paper records under ? 11.2(a). For example, if a record is required to be maintained under a predicate rule and you use a computer to generate a paper printout of the electronic records, but you nonetheless rely on the electronic record to perform regulated activities, the Agency may consider you to be using the electronic record instead of the paper record.

ref. definition of hybrid systems and

v9991

I use a "Laboratory Notebook" to record test results and details. I then often refer in the Test Report to a dated entry in the Lab Book.

For control of the Lab Book I try to use the principles laid out in this article:

http://www.mddionline.com/article/good-laboratory-notebook-practice

Test reports are scrutinised by Notified Body and their CB test house and have not been a problem (so far !).
as i understand, OPs query is whether to retain the lab-book, or to discard once the transcription/reference is completed?

unless untill we have validated process of scanning the lab book, and making it part of the electronic note book, ; my recommendation was to retain the lab book, even though details are captured(transcribed, reviewed and approved) in the electronic book.

Pads38

I would agree.
Part of the guidelines article I posted states that the Lab Book must be considered the company's property and be retained.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Electronic handwritten signatures for approvals - Signed with a Stylus or a Finger Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C 21 CFR Part 11- What about handwritten signatures? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Electronic signature - name.lastname or equal to handwritten Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q AS9102 Handwritten Revisions on Ballooned Drawing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
J How to Link Electronic Records (510k Documents) to Handwritten Signature Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
W Requirement to save original, handwritten internal audit notes? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
Q Change the shape of the raw material FAI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Raw material certificates - CC - Safety products - Sheet metal stamping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A Reduced Testing of Pharmaceutical Raw Materials Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
K ISO 9001 Requirements for Raw Material Supplier Assessment and Approval ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Material selection - How do we select a raw material? Bolt made of SAE J994 grade 2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
V Additional Controls for processing the raw data on different computers (processing system) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
S CQI-12 - Applicability to Raw Materials Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
C Informational CFR 21 Definition for Data or Raw Data Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
D Raw Material chemical/Tensile Requirements Specifications (QQ-A-250/4, etc) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Are Medical device Raw material suppliers required to be ISO 13485 certified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D DFARS (Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement) Raw Material Information Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Q Do we have to prove a link between the mill and our raw material supplier? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C Approval of raw material suppliers which do not manufacture the material ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
I 510k Performance Testing Studies (Raw Data) - What does the FDA expect 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I 510(k) Raw Data from Studies - 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R AS9100D Cl. 8.4.2 - Identify Raw Material as a Significant Operational Risk AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J AS9100 - Validation of Test Reports for Al 304 Raw Material AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Nonconformance Raw Material Treatment in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C What is considered a "Critical" Raw Material? (Re: DNA Synthesis) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Z How to Contractually Agree on Specifications for Raw Material Purchases Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
J IMDS: How to manage same Raw Material from Two Suppliers? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
S Use of Published IMDS Data from our Raw Material Supplier RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
V Study About Raw Materials (Polymers) - DSC, FTIR,TGA, and SEM Images Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
P FDA On-Site Inspection - Raw Material Manufacturing (Medical Devices) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
N Raw Material Supplier Approval (Inks, Resin, Masterbatch etc) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
N Receiving Inspection - Who should receive raw material Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
K TS 16949 Planning Phase: Raw Materials purchased from Distributer and the PPAP impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Pallets need to be changed when raw materials are transferring from WH to MFG area? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
Gman2 Identification of Raw Material being used In-Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Archiving IVD Test Kit Raw Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T AS9003 7.4.3 Critical Raw Material Verification Advice AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Raw Material - List Distributor or Manufacturer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
N Subscription Service to Raw Material Specifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Medical Device Raw Material Traceability Requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
J Relative Humidity and Plastic Raw Material Moisture Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J API Q1 9th Raw Material Specs on P.O.s Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2