SBS - The best value in QMS software

Is hiring more difficult right now?

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is anyone else having trouble hiring qualified people right now, or even getting qualified people to apply?

We have several inspector roles with few applicants. As far as I know, the pay is competitive. We are very safe Covid wise, although the positions are on site but I don't think anyone applying would be able to tell if we are good or bad in this regard.

We also have one technician level position where we had only one good applicant. For the technician position we had several significantly overqualified (QE level) people apply, so I don’t think our salary is too low.

In the past we have not had problems getting enough good applicants for general jobs. We are looking for people with some sort of electronics experience, but this has not been a problem in the past. Has Covid made people less likely to switch jobs?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
We are having issues hiring and keeping anyone in general. Our production area needs approximately 250 people. Our HR has quit giving cognitive tests and requiring a high school diploma and have paired up with multiple staffing agencies. We start at $16.50 an hour (plus shift premium) and union member after 75 days. Decent benefits.

Our sister plants and suppliers are all having the same issues.

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
Around here It seems like everyone is begging for people, With most jobs offering $16-17 starting pay with up to $1500 sign on bonus. The problem is they also can't find people willing to work.

Many of the people I've talked too say its just not worth it to them to work, They would prefer to collect the $362 a week unemployment plus the extra $300. $662/week. Basically $16.50/hour.

Randy

Super Moderator
Around here It seems like everyone is begging for people, With most jobs offering $16-17 starting pay with up to $1500 sign on bonus. The problem is they also can't find people willing to work.

Many of the people I've talked too say its just not worth it to them to work, They would prefer to collect the $362 a week unemployment plus the extra $300. $662/week. Basically $16.50/hour.
Yep, but it ain't gonna last for no 20-40 years as a career being a sponge

contigo123

Starting to get Involved
Also consider that with schools going virtual, many people may be staying home with kids and thus unable to work business hours. I wonder if being flexible with work hours would help attract more candidates

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I think flexibility always helps when it is possible to do so. Whether offering some options for work-from-home, flexible hours, or something similar, It can often be a win-win for both parties. Lotsa employers and employers are experiencing this these days, pushed to consider alternatives by Covid fallout. However, sometimes old-school command-and-control type managers resist and cause problems because they feel threatened by such arrangements.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
The positions we are hiring for are inspection related, hands on the product type, positions. Having said that, one of the positions we are having trouble getting applicants for can start anytime from 6-8:30am. We are extremely Covid safe, better than some doctor's offices. My job is more desk and computer based than any of the positions we are hiring for, and I found it hard to be effective from home.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I haven't been looking to fill any positions, but personally, I wouldn't change jobs right now. I was incredibly lucky during the shutdowns and "pauses" that I am working for an essential business because of our DPAS rated contracts and other defense work. I wouldn't risk switching jobs even if I was unhappy here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A IBM hiring more than 14,000 new workers in India this year Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
W Hiring an External Auditor to perform our AS9100 Compliance Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Audit Man Day Requirements - Small AS9100 Company hiring New Employees AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
Wes Bucey A justification to take HR out of hiring Career and Occupation Discussions 3
F Anyone have experience of a hiring a Social Anthropologist? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
S Is hiring a CB for certification and periodic audits an outsourced activity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Jim Wynne You've Come a Long Way, Baby - Gender in Hiring Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Stijloor China is hiring, and young Americans are going Career and Occupation Discussions 16
DanteCaspian Procedure outline for hiring process Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E Service Company Hiring Procedure Reconciliation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Need guide to write email/letter to hiring manager Career and Occupation Discussions 3
L Medical Devices Jobs - Abbott is currently hiring ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Need opinion to keep alive candidacy - Position hiring placed on Hold Career and Occupation Discussions 12
Ajit Basrur FDA Embarks on Major Hiring Initiative for its Public Health Mission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
W What are the requirements for having documented hiring standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Marc Company Makes Hiring Mistake, Sues Employee To Get Money Back Career and Occupation Discussions 11
Marc Brain Scans in Hiring - Brain imaging spreads to nonmedical uses Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Claes Gefvenberg How do you (try to) make certain you're hiring the right person? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
R Outsourcing Internal Audits - Hiring a contractor to plan and perform internal audits Internal Auditing 21
O How to give a score/yield more correctly to my suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
Marc GM says no more tailpipe emissions by 2035, carbon neutrality by 2040 World News 45
K FDA - Can we have more than 1 Initial Importer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K More than one importer for the same device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Two or more predicates suitable? 510K submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
M UDI-PI on a package that contains more devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B More than one Risk Report per Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Ed Panek Can a single supplier fit two or more categories for risk? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Sidney Vianna More allegations of unethical behavior in the Aerospace Sector AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
N Technical File Reviewer has requested more testing to ISO 10993 Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
M Informational FDA Panel: Too early to pull textured breast implants over cancer risk, need more data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M BSI – Want to know more about the Notified Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
Marc Renewables, led by wind, provided more power than coal in Germany in 2018 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
Marc Forums - "Watching" One or More Forums for New Threads and New Posts Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
A MSA When an Instrument Measures More than One Parameter Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
M Vernier Calibrations & more General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
bobdoering Contingency Plans Likely to be Scrutinized More Now IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
JoshuaFroud Addressing wet ink signatures when more than one site is involved 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
G More on IATF 8.5.6.1.1 - Temporary Change of Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Sidney Vianna IAF Ruling - No more ISO 9001:2008 nor ISO 14001:2004 audits after 2018-03-15 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Tool for Measuring - Do I have to do more than one Gage R&R for the PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T ISO 14001:2015 cover more than 1 company or business unit? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 13
L How to get more Auditing Experience Career and Occupation Discussions 11