Is hiring more difficult right now?

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is anyone else having trouble hiring qualified people right now, or even getting qualified people to apply?

We have several inspector roles with few applicants. As far as I know, the pay is competitive. We are very safe Covid wise, although the positions are on site but I don't think anyone applying would be able to tell if we are good or bad in this regard.

We also have one technician level position where we had only one good applicant. For the technician position we had several significantly overqualified (QE level) people apply, so I don’t think our salary is too low.

In the past we have not had problems getting enough good applicants for general jobs. We are looking for people with some sort of electronics experience, but this has not been a problem in the past. Has Covid made people less likely to switch jobs?

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
We are having issues hiring and keeping anyone in general. Our production area needs approximately 250 people. Our HR has quit giving cognitive tests and requiring a high school diploma and have paired up with multiple staffing agencies. We start at $16.50 an hour (plus shift premium) and union member after 75 days. Decent benefits.

Our sister plants and suppliers are all having the same issues.

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
Around here It seems like everyone is begging for people, With most jobs offering $16-17 starting pay with up to $1500 sign on bonus. The problem is they also can't find people willing to work.

Many of the people I've talked too say its just not worth it to them to work, They would prefer to collect the $362 a week unemployment plus the extra $300. $662/week. Basically $16.50/hour.

Randy

Super Moderator
Around here It seems like everyone is begging for people, With most jobs offering $16-17 starting pay with up to $1500 sign on bonus. The problem is they also can't find people willing to work.

Many of the people I've talked too say its just not worth it to them to work, They would prefer to collect the $362 a week unemployment plus the extra $300. $662/week. Basically $16.50/hour.

Yep, but it ain't gonna last for no 20-40 years as a career being a sponge

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
Yep, but it ain't gonna last for no 20-40 years as a career being a sponge

These days no one cares about 20-40 years, Shoot most don't even care about tomorrow. It's all about today. They're going to ride it out as long as it lasts.

contigo123

Involved In Discussions
Also consider that with schools going virtual, many people may be staying home with kids and thus unable to work business hours. I wonder if being flexible with work hours would help attract more candidates

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I think flexibility always helps when it is possible to do so. Whether offering some options for work-from-home, flexible hours, or something similar, It can often be a win-win for both parties. Lotsa employers and employers are experiencing this these days, pushed to consider alternatives by Covid fallout. However, sometimes old-school command-and-control type managers resist and cause problems because they feel threatened by such arrangements.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
The positions we are hiring for are inspection related, hands on the product type, positions. Having said that, one of the positions we are having trouble getting applicants for can start anytime from 6-8:30am. We are extremely Covid safe, better than some doctor's offices. My job is more desk and computer based than any of the positions we are hiring for, and I found it hard to be effective from home.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
I haven't been looking to fill any positions, but personally, I wouldn't change jobs right now. I was incredibly lucky during the shutdowns and "pauses" that I am working for an essential business because of our DPAS rated contracts and other defense work. I wouldn't risk switching jobs even if I was unhappy here.

Top Bottom