Is IATF certification required when customer doesn't require it?

Dan M

Involved In Discussions
Hello, I recall a conversation with the CB auditor a while back that if we are producing a material that ends up on the vehicle, that IATF requires we include this in the scope of our certification, even if our direct customer (a Tier I) does not require that we (the supplier) have an IATF 16949 certification. Is this true?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
If you have an IATF 16949 certificate, ALL AUTOMOTIVE bound product lines are fair game for an audit, even those lines destined to automotive customers that DO NOT require IATF 16949 certification, e.g., Toyota, Honda, etc...It is a stupid policy set by the IATF, but a policy nonetheless.

Not sure if that's what the auditor was referring to.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
IF you are IATF-certified, then yes, it needs to appear on your scope. A lot depends on how you word your scope though. You can have something 'generic' that would encompass it.

Dan M

Involved In Discussions
If you have an IATF 16949 certificate, ALL AUTOMOTIVE bound product lines are fair game for an audit, even those lines destined to automotive customers that DO NOT require IATF 16949 certification, e.g., Toyota, Honda, etc...It is a stupid policy set by the IATF, but a policy nonetheless.

Our main site is IATF 16949. One of our other sites is not. The site that is not IATF 16949 certified is the one producing this product sold to a Tier I.

Ashland78

Involved In Discussions

Sidney, Toyota is one of our customers, and their customer specific requirements so specify for us at least, that we have to maintain IATF current status.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Sidney, Toyota is one of our customers, and their customer specific requirements so specify for us at least, that we have to maintain IATF current status.
Thanks for the information, which is news to me. I have to say that I am a little surprised to hear that, since Toyota is not a member of the IATF.

From About IATF – International Automotive Task Force:

IATF members include the following vehicle manufacturers: BMW Group, Ford Motor Company, Geely Group, General Motors, IVECO Group, Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) Limited, Mercedes-Benz Group AG, Renault Group, Stellantis (ex FCA), Stellantis (ex PSA), Volkswagen AG and their respective National Automotive Industry Associations – AIAG (U.S.), ANFIA (Italy), FIEV (France), SMMT (U.K.) and VDA (Germany).

Ashland78

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for the information, which is news to me. I have to say that I am a little surprised to hear that, since Toyota is not a member of the IATF.
I thought the same thing when I started working for this company in November, but Toyota SQAM (CSR) specifies it, although they are not listed on IATF, we are to follow the CSR. I will see if I can find it when I get to work to attach it.

Enghabashy

Quite Involved in Discussions
*when the IATF auditor didn't find a current order in production line for the automotive customer; he can continue production audit tour as IATF audit for a similar automotive component ' although the manufacturing is not relevant to automotive customer " i.e: DAIMLER /GM/--etc" --
*the auditor should state this status in the final audit report also

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Implementation, establishment and certification of IATF 16949. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D IATF 16949 Certification and Letter of Conformance expiry (Help!!!) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
B IATF Certification Body Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Cert Expire- New certification body IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G IATF Rules for COVID 5th revision - Re-certification audit timing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
W Certification for IATF Lead Auditor will expire in 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q IATF 16949 certification without automotive products in "production" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R Timeframe for IATF 16949 certification to accumulate evidence of conformance of systems? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Sidney Vianna Informational UTC ASQR Rev.11 has a mistake; certification of distributors to IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
M Eligibility for certification to IATF 16949 - Exclusions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Coury Ferguson Report the CB... Certification Audit (IATF 16949) not to ISO 17021 Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Is there a published List of AIAG members requiring IATF certification ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A IATF certification for pass through supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S How can a R&D center pass IATF 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Adding Remote Site to Current IATF 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J IATF 16949 - Company Sold - Remote Location Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Do I need IATF 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R IATF 16949 certification rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L Informational IATF 16949 certification requirement for Tier 2/Tier 3 Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
T Are online IATF 16949 training/certification worth the investment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
P Delay in IATF 16949 Certification from Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S Has anyone completed IATF 16949 Certification - Share your Audit Experience? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition 3rd Edition FAQ?s - Certification Decision 5.12 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Certification Scheme for ISO/TS 16949:2002 - Rules for achieving IATF Recognition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
automoto Requirements of certification bodies recognized by IATF for ISO/TS 16949:2002 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 12
P "Opportunities for Improvement" definition in IATF Certification Rules? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Certification body has a consultancy arm - Also this CB is not listed in IATF list Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
S IATF Certification Rules - "Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition" 2nd edition soon? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 14
D Supplier ISO 9001:2000 Certification Requirment - IATF Guidance Manual Contradiction? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
D What are the IATF rules regarding doing internal audits remotely? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Preparing for IATF 16949 Letter of Conformance Stage 1 audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Is it required to have the operator initial their work in the IATF 16949:2016 standard? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
X IATF 16949 Section 3.2 Change of ownership IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Q MSA requirements for IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Will the IAQG go the IATF way and bypass the Accreditation Bodies? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Sidney Vianna Tesla Lacks Major Automotive Quality Certifications such as IATF 16949 and ISO 9001 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
W Looking for IATF 16949 (and ISO 17025) QMS software Suggestions Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News IATF News - Top 10 IATF 16949 nonconformities and more..... IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Establishing topics for IATF internal audit processes Internal Auditing 9
B IATF 16949 clause 10.2 - requirements following a customer complaint. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C IATF 16949:2016 Major NC pertaining to 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
R How many process maps are adequate for a company for IATF 16949? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 17
A IATF Non-Conformance 5 Why IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
O IATF 16949 News Upcoming Changes to IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4