Is Immediate Action really necessary before a Corrective Action?

B

baynoli

Hi All,

Good afternoon,

For the Corrective and Preventive Action:

When a non-conformance is issued, does immediate action really necessary before a corrective action.?

as per ISO std. the 8.5.2 and 8.5.3 does not specifically state an immediate actions/remedial/containment action, but rather just an action needed to....

Hopes some experts can clarify this...

Thanks,

Noli

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

Good afternoon,

When a non-conformance is issued, does immediate action really necessary before a corrective action.?

as per ISO std. the 8.5.2 and 8.5.3 does not specifically state an immediate actions/remedial/containment action, but rather just an action needed to....

Thanks,

Noli

It depends.
If you apply a method for this ( for example 8D approach) , you may have a containment action and then go to corrective action after identying the most probable cause ( root cause) by means of fishbone diagram or what else the organization has decided. The important is to have a method to guide .
Sometimes you can also skip containment phase and decide only for corrective one, it depends on the criticality of the issue and if it can jeopardize the business and customer's satisfaction.:bigwave:

Last edited:
P

phloQS

Hi,
8.5.2 states that you have to evaluate the influence of the non-conformance on your system or product. This includes that you define if an immediate action has do be done based on the risk occuring from the non-conformance. This is the same with 8.5.3: Rate the possible non-conformance and decide, wether an immediate action is neccessary or not.

Regards,

phloQS

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hi All,

Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Noli

Hi Noli,

You have got great responses before my post. I would just want to add that immediate containment action is needed to prevent the fire and "contain" the issue and preventing it extending to other batches that would be in the pipeline.

V

vimalvg

Once again to add up
If it is 8D ,Corrective action should be taken by conducting a thorough root cause analysis which consumes time.Till then you have to quarantine the defects by taking containment action which is very important.

Big Jim

Admin
Hi All,

Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Noli

I'm not sure why you would want to apply corrective action without applying a correction first. I can't see where that would ever be desirable.

As to what the standard requires, it is silent about correction in 8.5.2 and 8.5.3.

It helps to define the terms. According to ISO 9000, the definition of correction is the action (action is a pesky term here) needed to overcome a nonconformance and corrective action is the action needed to overcome the CAUSE of a nonconformance.

Just by definition, correction would seem to never apply to preventive action, as you apply preventive action to POTENTIAL nonconformances to keep them from occurring. If nothing has yet occurred, what is there to correct?

So, in my opinion, it would always be desirable to perform correction or containment as part of the overall corrective action, strictly required or not.

As for correction as part of a preventive action, I don't see how it applies.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Hi All,

Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Noli

Hi Noli,

Handling nonconformities and continuous improvement are two different things. Section 8.3 tells you how you should handle NCs. Section 8.5, how to improve.

By 8.3 you must take immediate action to control the effects of NCs, such as correcting or getting a waiver.

Section 8.5.2(a) through (d) require you to analyze the NCs that you've had (and, presumably, that you've corrected or are in the process of correcting) and determine how you will avoid their recurrence.

In your procedures, these two sections should both be addressed.

Good luck!
Pancho

V

vanputten

I think a heathly approach is to always analyze the need for correction when a nonconformance is identified. You may not implement a correction in all cases but I would think that an organization should at least consider the need for correction in all cases. Within ISO 9000, correction cannot apply to preventive action by definition.

Top Bottom