Is it a Finding if all Internal Auditors are from the Quality Department?

SGquality

Quite Involved in Discussions
In my organization, we have a list of Internal Auditors and all are from different roles in the Quality Department. I feel this is not good. Is this acceptable and would it be a finding in the ISO Certification audit ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Re: Is it a finding if all Internal Auditors are from Quality ?

In my organization, we have a list of Internal Auditors and all are from different roles in the Quality Department. I feel this is not good. Is this acceptable and would it be a finding in the ISO Certification audit ?

Short answer NO!

The only requirement is:

"The selection of auditors and conduct of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiality of the audit process. Auditors shall not audit their own work."

... and the logic of that is - can you imagine that their own area never receives an NCR and they are so perfect....:sarcasm:

Hope this helps

Randy

Super Moderator

Short answer NO!

The only requirement is:

"The selection of auditors and conduct of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiality of the audit process. Auditors shall not audit their own work."

... and the logic of that is - can you imagine that their own area never receives an NCR and they are so perfect....:sarcasm:

Hope this helps
Can you imagine if they are so honest to actually identify NC's

Anyway the question is about to become moot because the restriction is being done away with in the 2015 revision

QAengineer13

In addition to dsanabria comments, 820.22 states that " Quality audits shall be conducted by individuals who do not have direct responsibility for the matters being audited" with that being said ensure that the 820.25 Personnel training certificates/ experience pertaining to them being trained as Internal auditor is maintained in their training files.

Why would it be "not good"? What you should be seeking is objective, impartial, competent auditors, not worrying about what department they're from...

It could be, for example, that you don't have ANY candidates in QA who fit the bill!:popcorn:

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource

In addition to dsanabria comments, 820.22 states that " Quality audits shall be conducted by individuals who do not have direct responsibility for the matters being audited" with that being said ensure that the 820.25 Personnel training certificates/ experience pertaining to them being trained as Internal auditor is maintained in their training files.
This is true for FDA and medical devices, but keep in mind that the OP has posted in the ISO 19011 forum, and thus the requirements may be applied somewhat differently (e.g. demonstrating competency of auditors vs. having training records).

Brian :rolleyes:

A

arkyhog

I like to select accountants for new internal auditor candidates they are sticklers for compliance and they tend to dig real deep.

I like to select accountants for new internal auditor candidates they are sticklers for compliance and they tend to dig real deep.
Welcome. Do you think an accountant would be good to audit a welding process and its controls, in that case? Or a jet engine design process?

A

arkyhog

Absolutely! Taking some one that is not a subject matter expert or thinks they are one; is the best way I have found for asking questions. You essentially you could get a 5-why to a simple audit question if the auditor has no prior subject matter experience. The only pre requisite is the subject matter material to review. The less you know the more questions you will ask if you take what you?re doing serious. I have yet to meet many accountants that joke around the water cooler most if the day. ;)

Absolutely! Taking some one that is not a subject matter expert or thinks they are one; is the best way I have found for asking questions. You essentially you could get a 5-why to a simple audit question if the auditor has no prior subject matter experience. The only pre requisite is the subject matter material to review. The less you know the more questions you will ask if you take what you?re doing serious. I have yet to meet many accountants that joke around the water cooler most if the day. ;)
Interesting reply. So, based on this, why do you think being a Lead Auditor requires many years of experience, in related industries and passing an accredited course with an exam, if it's simply a case of asking questions?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S GM/VP softgrading internal audit finding - need feedback from an audit guru! General Auditing Discussions 11
A Writing an Internal Audit Report Finding for Employee Awareness of QMS Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Can a external auditor raise a finding that is already identified in Internal Audit ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Internal Audit finding versus External Audit finding General Auditing Discussions 2
L Internal Re-audit after Major Finding during ISO 9001 Re-Certification Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K ISO 13485 Audit Finding on Regulatory Issues - Internal Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Internal Audit Finding relating to Superseded Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 36
P Internal Audit Finding - Root Cause Analysis: Auditor or an Auditee Responsibility? Internal Auditing 24
6 Management Review does not highlight Internal Audit Finding - Root Cause Analysis General Auditing Discussions 11
K Scoring Scale for Internal Audits - Please help finding the right terms Internal Auditing 44
G Is this an internal audit finding or not Internal Auditing 8
M Internal Audit finding leading to 'Punishment' (Disciplinary Action) - Your Thoughts? Internal Auditing 79
C How to analyse the internal audit finding in term of discrepancy Internal Auditing 4
J Internal Audit Findings - Major vs. Minor Finding - Defining the differences Internal Auditing 14
S Failure to Close Out an Internal Audit Finding Internal Auditing 20
A Definition Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding) - Internal Audit - Definition & Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 38
J Audit Finding For Not Retaining Test Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A OHSAS 18001 external auditor finding personal interpretation? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Marco Bernardi Finding a flat or not modeling distribution: how to manage it? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 24
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
D Customer Audit Finding ISO13485:2016 7.6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B PED 2014/68/EU - Is this Traceability audit finding correct? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
XRAY_3121 Design and Development Requirement - MDSAP Audit Finding Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
R Major nonformance finding was given during a closing meeting of a ISO9001 certification audit General Auditing Discussions 76
G Audit finding - Components being transferred inter-plant Internal Auditing 3
S Difficulty Finding A Notified Body for CE Marking - No Capacity Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
D AEA (Aerospace Experience Auditor) Challenges - Finding availability of AEA for witness AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 FAQ #7 Audit Finding - External Calibration Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Major Finding Elevation - Do I elevate this minor finding to a major one? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
Q Customer Requirements - AS9120B Audit Finding AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
J IATF 16949 registration - Major Nonconformance Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Hardness inspection Audit Finding Employee error Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
J How long should I have to correct an audit finding? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 7
AlienraverX How to appeal a major audit finding ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
T Non-addressed Minor Finding elevated to Major Finding Internal Auditing 37
S Definition Would a wrong definition constitute an Audit Finding? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
L Audit Finding Flowchart for Feedback General Auditing Discussions 6
B Finding a Fixture Design Course to meet Customer Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O CFDA (China Food and Drugs Administration) Audit Finding Classifications China Medical Device Regulations 1
B Expired Materials (threadlocker) Audit Finding Classification? Internal Auditing 1
S Is not training to ISO 9001 procedures a finding? General Auditing Discussions 16
S Could I issue major finding for Inadequate Procedures Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
S Finding a substantial Equivalent Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
H Cause analysis for an Audit Finding - Purchasing Procedure Content ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Finding specific 510k guidance for Keratoprosthesis (MLP) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
I Finding optimum transformation equation for two sets of data Using Minitab Software 15
S Audit finding for JPAL ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Validating a stopped test due to never finding any defects Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2