Is it a requirement of 9001:2008 to have Management Training Records?

T

tomjess

We were given a non conformance at last years audit (I am new to the company) and it read like this:
"Branch training records were available for all staff members apart from branch manager. Management training records could not be found"

Thanks in advance

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Management Training Records

We were given a non conformance at last years audit (I am new to the company) and it read like this:
"Branch training records were available for all staff members apart from branch manager. Management training records could not be found"

Thanks in advance

ALL personnel are required to have records of competence:

ISO 9001:2008 said:
6.2.1 General

Personnel performing work affecting conformity to product requirements shall be competent on the basis of appropriate education, training, skills and experience.

NOTE Conformity to product requirements can be affected directly or indirectly by personnel performing any task within the quality management system.

6.2.2 Competence, training and awareness

The organization shall
a) determine the necessary competence for personnel performing work affecting conformity to product requirements...
e) maintain appropriate records of education, training, skills and experience (see 4.2.4).

If the Branch Manager has training specified as part of the competency requirements, then there must be records of training for the Branch Manager. If the competency requirements determined for the Branch Manager include only education, skills, and/or experience, then there only need to be records of these.

K

Ka Pilo

Re: Management Training Records

Thanks in advance
Staff members need to demonstrate evidence of of their competence relevant to their jobs or functions. Training record is a good start but not a guarantee of competence. Auditor needs to go further.

Big Jim

Admin
For some illumination on the topic, see the NOTE in 6.2.1 "Conformity to product requirements can be affected directly or indirectly by personnel performing any task within the quality management system."

The Branch Manager certainly fits.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
The requirement for training records for everyone depends on what the training is and why it is important to build competence.

In a bank, such training might include introduction to a new computer system that everyone is to use, and that incompetence could have outcomes that adversely impact goals and objectives. On a management level only, it might mean necessary methods to conform to reporting regulations.

And so it is important to not go and require a stack of training records of everything for everyone; instead, identify what training is important to build which competencies and why, and how your organization can show that's been accomplished. For some people this training could be rendered unnecessary because they were hired with the competencies already. The organization should have a means to record an acknowledgment of such competencies - maybe through the human resource hiring or performance review function.

I hope this helps!

howste

Thaumaturge
That is why International Standards Organization is strongly recommend every employee to take an ISO 9001 training.
Where do they say that? :confused:

ISO 9001 requires that competence requirements be defined, and that training and other actions be taken to ensure competence. It doesn't say anything about training on ISO 9001.

qusys

Thanks in advance

I do not know how the selection process to appoint managers works in your company. I assume that top mgmt decides based upon an internal job posting or external hiring.
I would have made further questions to see which competences were requested for that position and which kind of experience , including partecipation to the project, had the branch manager.
Probably he/she agreed with direct boss to partecipate some general projects which requires no training requirments or, in alternative, he /she was partecipating in delphinization process, with the help of a coach manager or councelling. In this case it could be requested to have an agree training plan ( also in shape of email) , at the end you could record the on the training hours or this particular training intervation.
Besides, I also assume that this could be an issue for all managers of the company if you do not have training records for them.
Pls, let us know more details about this.
see you:bigwave:

Top Bottom