Is it compulsory to send new measuring equipment for calibration / verification?

P

pangchiaboon

Hi all, if we buy a new measuring equipment for example caliper, is it necessary to send for verification by using stadard that traceable to international standard? Aware that new measuring equipment normally just come with manufacturer inspection report. What is FDA inspector / ISO certification auditor exspectation? Let's take the caliper as an example, if we use verified block gage that traceable to international standard to verify the new caliper, is it sufficient? Thank you.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Is it compulsory to send new measuring equipment for calibration / verification ?

Compulsory?, NO! But ideally, yes because the new caliper you just bought could be several years old (from date of manufacturing) or subject to poor handling along the journey to your place.

We had discussed this issue before and like most other calibration issues, it is about 'RISK'. Can you stomached the risk from rejected goods, claims, legal repercussions, etc. due to use of this instrument in its original uncalibrated form?

For me, verification should be a minimum - if you have the right and calibrated block gage but for 70 local dollars (in the case of a caliper), I would have it calibrated so that everybody can sleep well.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: Is it compulsory to send new measuring equipment for calibration / verification ?

Compulsory?, NO! But ideally, yes because the new caliper you just bought could be several years old (from date of manufacturing) or subject to poor handling along the journey to your place.

We had discussed this issue before and like most other calibration issues, it is about 'RISK'. Can you stomached the risk from rejected goods, claims, legal repercussions, etc. due to use of this instrument in its original uncalibrated form?

For me, verification should be a minimum - if you have the right and calibrated block gage but for 70 local dollars (in the case of a caliper), I would have it calibrated so that everybody can sleep well.
A new measuring equipment (pack opened by you) by itself does not certify being calibrated. The manufacturer could give the factory calibration report along with the instrumement (perhaps at a cost) if you demand. You should consider this as you place a purchace order for the measuring equipment, else decide to get same calibrated to your specific requirement. For you as well as to the auditor it must just be a measuring equipment with no adjectives (new, sparingly used, etc etc ..) and it must be handled as you handle any other equipment within your calibration system.

Q

qualitytoughnut - 2010

Hi all, if we buy a new measuring equipment for example caliper, is it necessary to send for verification by using stadard that traceable to international standard? Aware that new measuring equipment normally just come with manufacturer inspection report. What is FDA inspector / ISO certification auditor exspectation? Let's take the caliper as an example, if we use verified block gage that traceable to international standard to verify the new caliper, is it sufficient? Thank you.

Harry and Somashekhar have given good advise. Most of the instruments come with a calib. cert. Yet there are a lot of instruments which get affected by atmospheric conditions viz: Humidity, Temprature variation etc. In such cases, despite the calib. cert. from the manufacturer, you need to send the instrument for calibration.

There is another issue to tackle. Suppose the calib. frequency of an instrument is six months and it remained unused in your store for a year, then should it or should it not be sent for calibration. IMO it should not, if you are able to show records that it was never issued after the date of purchase.

There is another thread where this topic was discussed in detail but I am not able to search it. I would request the Moderator to provide the link here.

Top Bottom