Is it dumb to develop an ISO 17025 web site?

G

George Weiss

I am an unemployed Sr. Metrologist. I recently stumbled onto an 17025 domain name being available. I picked up the domain, and began collecting and posting 17025 links and info as I found it. I am not sure of how heavy the hammer of ISO 17025 protection is. Is it silly for a simple guy, trying to better his employment chances and 17025 knowledge get him/me in deep doo-doo? Or is this a good course, as long as I don’t post the ISO17025:2005 document?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Thousands of people start web sites every day. I started this one about 15 years ago because I was bored in hotels rooms back when I traveled for a living as a consultant. If you enjoy it, do it. I guarantee you it's a learning experience. Your success will be determined on how long you you keep at it (not to mention how you define 'success').

D

Duke Okes

Given your background it sounds like you could not only provide links but also personal perspectives. Good luck!

Marc

Leader
I looked at the web site and you already have Google's AdSense on it, so you're not just doing the site for trying to better your employment chances.

Please do understand that with only 4 posts here and having just registered you are a long way from my allowing you to promote your site here, which is sorta what you're doing by starting this thread.

You do have lots of competition in ISO 17025 web sites and information, but good luck!

G

George Weiss

SO if I remove all the adds, the site become somewhat rightious? I am not digging, just looking for your comments. I am hyperlinking to ISO, and NIST and all over. I see everyone has google adds, and it gave the site a slight polished look and maybe a professional feel. I am cut-n-pasting without one of those fancy web hosting programs. I am listening to the idea or removing the adds.
I am just enjoying the things I am reading, and seeing how little I do know.
I am trying to break out and develop, and maybe like a puppy pissing about the floor. LOL....................
I am just asking about if it is some how an offense to collect and dirrect like I am.
I worked for some years with only slight ideas of the std. I was suppose to work under. I am now trying to better that posture of ignorance. Seems I had my head in the sand, while my company went ISO17025. looking back it seems they were more serious then I thought. All input appreciated! maybe the question does not justify the exposure. I am open to pulling the thread also, if that becomes a repeat remark...
If that is possible...again thanks for any comment ! ! !

Marc

Leader
SO if I remove all the adds, the site become somewhat rightious?
I didn't come close to saying that. And I have no problem with advertising. I didn't used to have advertising here, but it became such a drain on my time and the expenses became too much for me not to start taking advertising. My comment came from your statement that you are wanting it to improve your employment opportunities. I'm not convinced it will enhance your employment opportunities. My advice is to approach it as a potential income generator. But, if you really DO want it essentially as an avenue to enhance your employment opportunities, the advertising *may* be detrimental as it then becomes an income resource.

I have no idea how an employer would look at a line item on a resume such as: I maintain an internet web site devoted to ISO 17025. Maybe some employers here can give you some advice on that aspect. Times are changing. It may be a positive thing.

I am not digging, just looking for your comments. I am hyperlinking to ISO, and NIST and all over. I see everyone has google adds, and it gave the site a slight polished look and maybe a professional feel. I am cut-n-pasting without one of those fancy web hosting programs. I am listening to the idea or removing the adds.
Keep the ads. You never know - In a few years it may become a significant income source for you.
I am just enjoying the things I am reading, and seeing how little I do know.
I am trying to break out and develop, and maybe like a puppy pissing about the floor. LOL....................
I am just asking about if it is some how an offense to collect and dirrect like I am.
As far as I know, linking is not an issue. People do it here all the time. Technically you will want your links to be to 'trusted' (***and subject related***) web sites. Those are called 'outbound links'.

What you really need is inbound links from 'trusted' sites. Elsmar, as an example, is linked to by quite a few 'trusted' (***and subject related***) sites such as the ASQ forums, Wikipedia, etc. The biggest problem you will have, at least initially, is getting other 'trusted' (***and subject related***) sites linking to your site (but if you keep at it that will come with time).
I worked for some years with only slight ideas of the std. I was suppose to work under. I am now trying to better that posture of ignorance. Seems I had my head in the sand, while my company went ISO17025. looking back it seems they were more serious then I thought. All input appreciated! maybe the question does not justify the exposure. I am open to pulling the thread also, if that becomes a repeat remark...
If that is possible...again thanks for any comment ! ! !
My suggestion is, at least here, you put your web site (and other information) in your profile here. People will see this thread and can get your web site from there. On the other hand, if you help people here when they have questions you will spread your 'audience'. Many of the prolific posters here get business from people contacting them through their profile information. People will read your posts and if they think you are knowledgeable they will contact you.

If I seemed a bit touchy in my post above, it is because most web property owners, myself included, don't want people coming to their site and 'advertising' (or what we perceive to be advertising or 'self promotion') of their company or business in posts. Being new to this I can understand you may not understand this aspect of web sites (especially forums). It's pretty standard 'netiquette' not to go to someone's web site you are (or might become) a competitor to and promote your own web site. This is totally different from people who visit a site recommending it here (or elsewhere). That's why the ToS here prohibits self promotion by businesses and consultants et al. Many people do it, but we typically see it happening and take action. If we didn't there would hundreds (thousands?) of threads and posts with essentially no valuable information by people wanting to promote their web site with no intention of adding to the knowledge base here through participation. They are trying to get in some free advertising without participation or really helping others. Elsmar.com is one of the top 20,000 web sites according to Quantcast (which directly monitors Elsmar.com). Elsmar.com is something like 70,000 to 90,000 according to Alexa, but Alexa ranks sites using data from people who have their browser toolbar installed so Alexa data is 'a big guess'. That said, taken as a whole (such as years online, inbound, one-way 'trusted' links, etc.) Elsmar.com is a 'trusted' site for quite a few topics. In short, a link from here to another site is a plus for that site.

As I said above, you have a lot of competition. That said, I also said it will be a serious learning experience unrelated to your subject matter/topic. Web sites and the internet are, for most people, a new profession (so to speak) which require, like any profession, quite a bit of learning of new things. I started this site coding all html by hand in 1995 prior to going 'live' in January 1996. Of course, I had to learn html to do that.

Some thoughts if you want a nice site:

1. Visit a lot of webmaster forums and Read, Read, Read :read: This is not really a good forum to get web site advice on. I would suggest some, but these days I don't have any specific recommendations. I rarely visit any these days because it's mostly stuff I have learned over the years repeated, so to me it's just reading the same information over and over again. Things have not changed much over the years when it comes to doing a web site. Content is King and always has been.

2. Add content weekly, if not daily.

3. Never get involved in link farms - AdSense doesn't like link farm links.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
I think the difference between a site with a lot of web spiders (crawlers) and another with spider web is one word - PASSION. If you have it, go ahead. If not, you may want to think thrice.

G

George Weiss

I appreciate the comments. I am sometimes so polarized in my activities that other points are balancing. I am enjoying the advances in my understanding through this project. I might move on to other things as I become employed. I see a reconnection to what I was doing, and am realizing I need to convince the tougher employment entrance barriers. the idea of such a website being difficult to maintain while employed is an interesting point. an employer might feel some information is confidencial. again thanks for the perspective.

Marc

Leader
Not much I can say about that. My major in college was biology and my minors were chemistry and anthropology. How I got into business and quality assurance is a long story, but obviously they have nothing to do with my college focus. So for many years I was continuously learning (had to - everything was new, so to speak), and still am to some degree but being 60 years old and essentially retired I don't have the enthusiasm I once did.

My best wishes in your endeavor. What you are doing is focusing extensively on a specific topic. One might call it akin to 'immersion' learning. This type of extensive focus and activity is good when learning something thoroughly and quickly. When I first 'discovered' the existence of ISO 9001 some 20+ years ago there was no internet as we know it today. I wish there had been. I was calling everyone I knew, got the ISO 900x standards, and in general did everything I could to learn about ISO 9001 (and the ISO 900x series in general).

As you go through your journey, your web site will become a sort of diary and reference for you as long as you go through the materials on the sites you link out to. If you look at the old 'static' html pages here you will see this site started as a similar journey, except my original focus was QS-9000. See: WOTS - Word on the Street circa 1996. In addition, you may want to check out the Original Elsmar Cove Forums (back then this site was QS9000.com).

So - On with the show, and on with learning!

Top Bottom