Is it good to outsource the Internal Audits?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Re: OUTSOURCING THE INTERNAL AUDIT

It depends on the size of the organization, resources, maturity of the system and the presence of qualified internal auditors within the company.
Companies have found it beneficial to outsource the internal audit since they do not have the internal resources and internal capabilities to perform the audit.
It makes sense to hire someone locally with good references and knowledge and experience within your industry.
A good practice is to have trained internal auditors accompany the consultant to observe the way that audits are performed.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Is it good to outsource the internal audit?

Is it good to outsource the internal audit? if yes what is the best practice to do it
Welcome to the COVE Fawzy ~~~
Its Bad....
- The involvement of people within the organization is missed.
- Opportunity to understand company processes is missed.
- A learning opportunity is missed.
- It is not a specialized process that one cannot do internally.
- The same money can be used towards internal audit training many times
- You may be tempted to approach the same outsourced agency to recommend corrective actions, since he is paid. People involvement becomes less.
- Internal auditing is not a burden.

Last edited:

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator

With all due respect to Somashekar, I disagree with the blanket "it is bad" statement. There are numerous upsides to contracting it out:
* Independent perspective sees things that are taken for granted (cognative dissonance)
* No pressure to "look the other way" when auditing associates
* No pressure from management to soften the blow
* Having employees explain the process to an outsider sometimes reveals inconsistencies
* It *is* a specialized process - it requires training or experience that may not be available with internal staff
* An auditor following a code of ethics would recuse him/herself from auditing if they were providing consulting services
* If there's only marginal management support, using internal staff may devolve into a no-added-value box-checking exercise

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin

That is why I put in the link in my post above. This has been extensively debated over the years. For some companies it is very good, for other not so much. For more discussions here, see: Discussions about Outsourcing Internal Audits in a company

Personally I don't have a problem with outsourcing internal audits.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource

I heard through the grapevine the company I left last year hired a consultant to do the internal audit, and to rep the company for the first Registrar audit to take place with out me there.

I was told the consultant made a change to a record in front of the auditor in a non-approved manner (crossed out the 'bad' info and wrote the new info next to it). This resulted in a major non-conformance for the company.

This was an issue on previous audits. The internal audit checklist I left behind started by asking every auditee about the quality policy and if they knew how to make a change to a record.

IMHO, someone on the management team should take the time to read the standard, read the quality manual, and do the internal audit. Anything less suggests a problem with management commitment to the QMS.

Having a consultant in to review the records and procedure of the internal audit is something else entirely.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin

<snip> I was told the consultant made a change to a record in front of the auditor in a non-approved manner (crossed out the 'bad' info and wrote the new info next to it). This resulted in a major non-conformance for the company.

This was an issue on previous audits. The internal audit checklist I left behind started by asking every auditee about the quality policy and if they knew how to make a change to a record. <snip>
Sounds to me like a simple case of a bad consultant and, since it was a recurrence with respect to the employees, employees are not following procedures (indicating potentially bigger problems).

N

natecsss

At our company we have multiple employees trained and certified as internal auditors. However, since it was our first audit (two new quality employees), the previous quality manager came on as a consultant to assist the internal audits.

While it's preferred to have employees audit I don't think it's a bad things to have to outsource it either. With outsourcing you can take the managment and employer bias out of the audit. It probably shouldn't alwasy be outsourced but it doesn't hurt.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Outsource of Internal Quality Audits and Incentive for Auditor General Auditing Discussions 23
D Could an organisation outsource all Part M activities? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
B Outsource Production Line need ISO13485 Certificate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Change in Direction - Management decides to Outsource Manufacturing Operations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Scope of Registration ? Design Responsible ? Outsource Design??? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D How to Audit Outsource process (New Trainee Auditor) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Question: outsource medical device electric safety test to OEM supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Does waste water equipment need calibration if we also outsource testing? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
S Definition Outsource - Outsourcing - Subcontracting - Definition - TS 16949 and ISO 9001 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
Howard Atkins If you outsource production can you register to ISO/TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Medical Device Directive manufacturer - Wanting to outsource some proceses ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 27
E Outsource Management Representative? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 15
G Does Outsource of Processes refer to things like heat treat of the product? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
I What direction do you provide your internal auditors on OFIs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
D Impartiality of Internal Auditor ISO 9001/13485 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 5
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
Ron Rompen Internal Quality Alert Program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
U Changes to Internal Processes and Risk Evaluation - Mitigations Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 10
qualprod Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12