Is it necessary to Audit our CARs and SCARs?

T

TigerLilie

Hello All,

I know auditors cannot audit their own work, so we retain a consultant to audit our internal audits. The consultant also reviews our CARs and SCARs. However, I am under pressure to keep costs down, is it necessary to have an audit of our CARs and SCARs?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Audit of CARs and SCARs

Yes! They're part of your QMS, right? Maybe you're over thinking the "audit your own work" aspect. Or the consultant is on to a money spinner making you think they HAVE to do this! CARS and SCARS aren't the auditors work, are they? They might FIND a reason for a CAR to be written, but after that, what does the auditor have to do with it? I can't see a compelling reason to keep a consultant on to do this!

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
Re: Audit of CARs and SCARs

TigerLilie,

Does your proceedure for Internal Audits address your question in any way? Have you considered training somebody from outside of quality, within your organization, to audit the sections of you QMS addressing CARs/SCARs/PARs?

T

TigerLilie

Good point Andy, as an auditor I do not write CARs or SCARs. Thus I do not see why they need to be reviewed by our auditor. Honestly, it hasn't been all that value added of an activity the past couple of years.

Dubrizo, there is nothing in our SOPs about needing another review of CARs and SCARs. Training someone else in the organization may be an option, although we are all swamped. I'll still offer the option to Exec.

Thank you for your help.

G

GoKats78

I would train someone outside you department to audit the audit process...

We audit of Corrective Actions (we have 2 audits) to show evidence of implementation of countermeasures and to show effectiveness of countermeasures

T

TigerLilie

If we train someone outside of QA to audit the audits, CARs and SCARs, would have to be a person completely out of the scope of audited QMS processes? For example, if we train someone in Contracts to audit, would it be a conflict for them to audit the Contract Review audit?

If we train someone outside of QA to audit the audits, CARs and SCARs, would have to be a person completely out of the scope of audited QMS processes? For example, if we train someone in Contracts to audit, would it be a conflict for them to audit the Contract Review audit?
As I said, you're "over thinking" this. How big is the organization? All you have to deal with is someone NOT auditing their work! The auditor doesn't HAVE to come from "OUTSIDE". In fact, I'd suggest that, someone who understands the process FIRST and can be impartial is better than someone who DOESN'T know how sales operates, for example.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello All,

I know auditors cannot audit their own work, so we retain a consultant to audit our internal audits. The consultant also reviews our CARs and SCARs. However, I am under pressure to keep costs down, is it necessary to have an audit of our CARs and SCARs?
Tiger,

You could show the cost benefits of your consultant doing all the internal audits. Ask the consultant to streamline their sampling, evaluation and reporting.

Don't forget to include the increased productivity of the audit process, particularly in terms of auditee time.

And, by monitoring the process before the audit, you could focus your auditing on the effectiveness of monitoring, correction and improvement of all the processes in your system.

But keep control of your audit programme to ensure it fulfills top management's objectives.

John

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
if we train someone in Contracts to audit, would it be a conflict for them to audit the Contract Review audit?
Your question confuses me... the way it reads to me is this person would be auditing the audit which scope includes Contract Review.

As long as the person auditing a particular area is not auditing their own work ("Auditors shall not audit their own work." 8.2.2, b) they're fine. If there is any grey area, utilize another internal auditor from a completely different job function than is being audited.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
B Is it necessary to conduct product audit of entire product which is manufactured in the company as per IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
GStough Is A Re-Audit Necessary after Disaster Recovery? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Internal Audit of the Training System - Corrective Action Necessary? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 16
K RC14001:2008 - Audit of Internal Audit: Is this necessary? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
K Internal Audits - Necessary before Stage 1 Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
Z Procedure Manual Changes - Internal audit necessary prior to recertification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Re-Audit Necessary Due to Registrar Error AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
A Is an Internal Quality Audit Checklist necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P Is it necessary to undergo the ISO 9001 surveillance audit before going for TPM ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Process audit - Is it necessary to audit the special processes like plating? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
Z Is IQ necessary for laser marking validation? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
R Clinical Trial to sell in the EU - Necessary or Not? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K GDPR - Is it really necessary for the DPO(s) to be knowledgeable to Data Privacy Law? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
D How to ensure independence and authority necessary to perform QM tasks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
bobdoering "nds" or Number of Discriminate Samples - the Necessary Tool to Work With "ndc"! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Is an index necessary for DMR or DHF? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
H Change of a medical device sterilization dose - New 510(k) necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Time necessary for all Risk Management activities ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Risk Identification and Risk Assessment for any Process - Is it necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
C Change Order necessary to document FMEA Updates? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Is a Laboratory Scope Necessary if... IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Is a GR&R necessary for Weighing Scale? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Procedures necessary for things such as the floor cleaner or weigh scale ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Certified Internal auditor is necessary? ISO 9001 requirement? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
M Biocompatibility - why are animal studies necessary? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
N Is Notified Body approval necessary for small changes to IVD IFU? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
G Plant Relocation - Is it necessary to perform FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
A Is IEC 80601-2-60 necessary for Dental Laser? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F Necessary trainings for FAR 145 certification Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
H 510k Submission - Is Risk Management necessary? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Is Notification of the Test Laboratory always necessary for Supplier Changes? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
S Certificate Suspension Necessary in case of No Production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Cosmetic Spec - Convincing Management Visual Inspection Standard is Necessary Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
x-files Necessary or Unnecessary Redundancy in Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Is it necessary to show Model Number on the Labeling (meter box, label and manual)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Retroactive Training Records Necessary? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Necessary test documents for Class II Medical Device Hardware and Firmware ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
somashekar How to Determine the Necessary Employee Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M IEC 60601-1 testing for device with its own 2V battery power supply necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Documents necessary for registration of a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Is it necessary to perform Root Cause Analysis for each failed part? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
L Approved Parts Listing- ISO 13485- Is an approved parts listing necessary? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Is it necessary to record all nonconforming products? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
P Is it necessary to consider ISO 22002-1 for the implementation of ISO 22000 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
M ISO 10993 - Repeat tests necessary if colour changes slightly? Other Medical Device Related Standards 11