SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Is it necessary to classify nonconformance as minor, major, observations in an IQA?

M

miwriter

I am asked to conduct an IQA as part of our gap assessment and found a lot of nonconformances. Is it necessary to classify them as minor, major or observations? I was looking at our SOP and previous records but they have not mentioned about classifying nonconformances. They issue CAPA and just list the non conformances. Can anyone advise me on this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Is it necessary to classify nonconformance as minor, major, observations in an IQ

I am asked to conduct an IQA as part of our gap assessment and found a lot of nonconformances. Is it necessary to classify them as minor, major or observations? I was looking at our SOP and previous records but they have not mentioned about classifying nonconformances. They issue CAPA and just list the non conformances. Can anyone advise me on this?
Please do not spend time in this classifying activity. It is an internal audit you speak of and the root cause, corrective action and followup activities that are performed on all the non conformances helps you to strengthen your system. These actions can be appropriate to the nonconformance noted in the IQA.

J

Jasonliu

Re: Is it necessary to classify nonconformance as minor, major, observations in an IQ

I also think so ! No need spend so much time on this ,the key point is how to correct these nonconformances and continue improvement actions .

Randy

Super Moderator

NO!

Most of the time all you'll get out of that practice is confusion and bad feelings.

M

miwriter

thanks guys for the inputs :)

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

miwriter,

Avoid overwhelming the CA process. Do an 80/20 (Pareto) based on the value of the CA and issue CARs for those.

Remember, as an internal auditor "you will be back". Hopefully by then the operators, supervisors and managers will be doing a better job of monitoring their processes and initiating their own CA.

BTW, PA comes before CA everywhere except in the standard!

John

K

Ka Pilo

Could be "yes" in terms of prioritizing nonconformities to address. But please note that all nonconformities should be addressed be it minors, majors, or potential problems.

Could be "yes" in terms of prioritizing nonconformities to address. But please note that all nonconformities should be addressed be it minors, majors, or potential problems.
Not unless everyone in management has a well based understanding in the grading of audit findings and the content of the audit report it relates to!

As has been stated in many other threads, grading is of no consequence if the issue that's being reported doesn't have the same 'gravity' in managements' eyes. Grading is, for the most part, an external audit technique to give those who weren't at the audit some sense of the importance of the issue and its correlation to the recommendation - approval as a supplier or for ISO certification, come to mind. What relevance does that have to an internal audit?

K

Ka Pilo

Not unless everyone in management has a well based understanding in the grading of audit findings and the content of the audit report it relates to!
Agreed. Otherwise, it will just complicate the audits.

As has been stated in many other threads, grading is of no consequence if the issue that's being reported doesn't have the same 'gravity' in managements' eyes.
Again, it coukd help prioritize actions based on the severity and likelihood of nonconformities.

Grading is, for the most part, an external audit technique to give those who weren't at the audit some sense of the importance of the issue and its correlation to the recommendation - approval as a supplier or for ISO certification, come to mind.
If it works for external audits, it should work for internal audits.
What relevance does that have to an internal audit?
It might be beneficial in some circumstances. Perhaps the benefit or detriment depends on the top management, employees, and/or grading system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Grading Internal audit nonconformities? Don't waste your time on it.

Here's an example I use in my training classes:

Whether your observe a minor or a major leak in your car tire (tyre); fix the damn thing!!
If you start arguing about a small or a big leak, you won't be moving for a while...

Stijloor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I What revalidation is necessary if we change parts in a WFI loop ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q Is Establishment Registration Necessary? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
T IEC 60601-1-8:2020 Is it necessary to change the alarm melody? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I When is necessary to have RoHS declaration on non-electrical parts? REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
M Is it Necessary to Use Health Canada Form when Reporting? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
K ISO 13485 clause 8.5.2 'Any necessary CA shall be taken without undue delay' ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Z Is IQ necessary for laser marking validation? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
B Is it necessary to conduct product audit of entire product which is manufactured in the company as per IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Clinical Trial to sell in the EU - Necessary or Not? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K GDPR - Is it really necessary for the DPO(s) to be knowledgeable to Data Privacy Law? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
D How to ensure independence and authority necessary to perform QM tasks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
bobdoering "nds" or Number of Discriminate Samples - the Necessary Tool to Work With "ndc"! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Is an index necessary for DMR or DHF? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
H Change of a medical device sterilization dose - New 510(k) necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Time necessary for all Risk Management activities ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Risk Identification and Risk Assessment for any Process - Is it necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
C Change Order necessary to document FMEA Updates? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Is a Laboratory Scope Necessary if... IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Is a GR&R necessary for Weighing Scale? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Procedures necessary for things such as the floor cleaner or weigh scale ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Certified Internal auditor is necessary? ISO 9001 requirement? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
T Is it necessary to Audit our CARs and SCARs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Biocompatibility - why are animal studies necessary? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
N Is Notified Body approval necessary for small changes to IVD IFU? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
G Plant Relocation - Is it necessary to perform FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
A Is IEC 80601-2-60 necessary for Dental Laser? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F Necessary trainings for FAR 145 certification Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
H 510k Submission - Is Risk Management necessary? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Is Notification of the Test Laboratory always necessary for Supplier Changes? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
S Certificate Suspension Necessary in case of No Production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Cosmetic Spec - Convincing Management Visual Inspection Standard is Necessary Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
GStough Is A Re-Audit Necessary after Disaster Recovery? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Internal Audit of the Training System - Corrective Action Necessary? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 16
x-files Necessary or Unnecessary Redundancy in Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Is it necessary to show Model Number on the Labeling (meter box, label and manual)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Retroactive Training Records Necessary? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Necessary test documents for Class II Medical Device Hardware and Firmware ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
somashekar How to Determine the Necessary Employee Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M IEC 60601-1 testing for device with its own 2V battery power supply necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Documents necessary for registration of a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Is it necessary to perform Root Cause Analysis for each failed part? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
L Approved Parts Listing- ISO 13485- Is an approved parts listing necessary? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Is it necessary to record all nonconforming products? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
P Is it necessary to consider ISO 22002-1 for the implementation of ISO 22000 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
M ISO 10993 - Repeat tests necessary if colour changes slightly? Other Medical Device Related Standards 11