Is it necessary to have a documented 3 R recycling plan in addition to measures?

C

Cheryl

We have a 3 R program running at work with the recylce containers out for paper, bottles and cans. We do not have any controled procedures the information is contained in the operators job description. As well we have not identified the 3 R's as one of our significant aspects.

For certification purposes is it necessary for us to have a documented 3 R plan in addition to measures? At present the town picks up our recycling material at the curb side.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dean P.

Hi Cheryl,

I would think that your 3R program should be considered in your aspects, but not necessarily significant (that is up to you). You obviously are generating solid waste, and the fact that you are recycling them makes it a positive impact on the environment (diversion from landfill). Make sure you get credit for something you are doing right!!

As for including them as a documented plan, there are two ways to look at this. If you have set an objective and target for solid waste reduction, then this would most definitely become part of your environmental managment program. Again, get the credit for it. If you do not have this (or anything related to it) as an objective and target, then having it as part of your procedures / work instructions is suitable under 4.4.6 - Operational Control. Do what you say, say what you do.

Keep in mind though, in Ontario we are mandated to peform a solid waste audit (O. Reg 102) and have a solid waste reduction plan (O. Reg 103), both of which must be updated on an annual basis. Not too many companies know about this requirement. If you have a Canadian auditor, and he is on the ball, he will check to see that you have this plan documented, and could audit it under 4.3.2 - Legal and Other. Let me know if you have any questions about this requirement.

F

fireman

Cheryl & Dean,
Just wanted to add my two cents, this is my first posting, as I am new to this media. Anyways, I have to agree with Dean on all accounts. I also included recycling of office waste on my Aspects Assessment (that's what I called my Aspect FMEA doc) but it indicated a positvie impact.

Dean, what I wanted to know was how detailed the waste stream audit had to be. I identified both O.Regs when searching out my legal and other requirements. I haven't completed anything with them as of yet. Any insight would be appreciated.

Fireman
Robert

D

Dean P.

Fireman,

Fortunately, these two regulations (102 and 103) are probably the two least-enforced regulations out there. Even if the MOE came in and found that you had done nothing, they would probably only mention it to you. The basis of the regulation is to look at your waste streams and put a recycling (waste reduction) program in place. This is where the blue box craze stemmed from several years back.

As for the amount of detail, it really depends on your waste streams. Our facility has 600 employees, and produces all sorts of solid waste from our plastic molding shop, our 3 paint lines, as well as our assembly area. We just completed a 3 day waste audit by a consultant (also called 'dumpster diving') that cost us ~$3500 CDN. This will give us a very detailed report on how much waste we are generating in a year from each individual department, broken down by the waste type (cardboard, paper, plastic, shrink wrap, pop cans, bottles, labels, tape, etc.). Every single item is documented and weighed. Once we have this report, we will probably update it ourselves over the next few years.

You can get away with doing a general audit yourself (estimating the amount of cardboard, paper, etc.) and set your plan based on this, it's up to you. We found that we had a lot of room for improvement, so the cost of the audit would easily be recovered by our reduction efforts. Your waste hauler (Canadian Waste, BFI) should also be able to help you with this, give your rep a call.

C

Cheryl

We have identified solid waste as a significant aspect but we have not included what I classify as our 3 R program (cans, bottles, paper). Presently our solid waste is defined as scrap metal, this is picked up and weighed, we have set objectives and targets against this, but not for our cans, bottles, & paper recycling since this is a curb side pickup conducted through our township.

Can the waste audit be performed through internal auditors or do you recommend we hire experts to conduct annual audits and filing of reports?

Cheryl,
If you have complied with 4.4.1 and feel there is no need for additional procedures, then ,IMO, an additional procedure would not be required for certification.

C

Cheryl

Hey Dean, looks like you where answering as I was posting, disregard my earlier post - you have answered my question. :D

F

fireman

Thanks Dean,
I have already implemented a recycle program (cans, office paper, glass) which has been accepted by the employees very well. With our process (Steel Stampings) we recycle all we can when it comes to scrap and waste. I think at this point, I'll do the waste stream analysis with the help of my hauler (CWM).

Again, thanks for the info...

P.S. Do you mould facsias?

Fireman

D

Dean P.

We mould bumpers and facsias, we paint bumpers and facsias, we assemble bumpers and facsias. Unfortunately, we also occasionally impart defects to bumpers and facsias, and thus we throw out bumpers and facsias!! We're working on minimizing this waste stream as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Is IQ necessary for laser marking validation? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
B Is it necessary to conduct product audit of entire product which is manufactured in the company as per IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Clinical Trial to sell in the EU - Necessary or Not? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K GDPR - Is it really necessary for the DPO(s) to be knowledgeable to Data Privacy Law? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
D How to ensure independence and authority necessary to perform QM tasks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
bobdoering "nds" or Number of Discriminate Samples - the Necessary Tool to Work With "ndc"! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Is an index necessary for DMR or DHF? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
H Change of a medical device sterilization dose - New 510(k) necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Time necessary for all Risk Management activities ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Risk Identification and Risk Assessment for any Process - Is it necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
C Change Order necessary to document FMEA Updates? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Is a Laboratory Scope Necessary if... IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Is a GR&R necessary for Weighing Scale? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Procedures necessary for things such as the floor cleaner or weigh scale ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Certified Internal auditor is necessary? ISO 9001 requirement? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
T Is it necessary to Audit our CARs and SCARs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Biocompatibility - why are animal studies necessary? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
N Is Notified Body approval necessary for small changes to IVD IFU? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
G Plant Relocation - Is it necessary to perform FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
A Is IEC 80601-2-60 necessary for Dental Laser? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F Necessary trainings for FAR 145 certification Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
H 510k Submission - Is Risk Management necessary? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Is Notification of the Test Laboratory always necessary for Supplier Changes? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
S Certificate Suspension Necessary in case of No Production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Cosmetic Spec - Convincing Management Visual Inspection Standard is Necessary Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
GStough Is A Re-Audit Necessary after Disaster Recovery? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Internal Audit of the Training System - Corrective Action Necessary? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 16
x-files Necessary or Unnecessary Redundancy in Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Is it necessary to show Model Number on the Labeling (meter box, label and manual)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Retroactive Training Records Necessary? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Necessary test documents for Class II Medical Device Hardware and Firmware ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
somashekar How to Determine the Necessary Employee Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M IEC 60601-1 testing for device with its own 2V battery power supply necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Documents necessary for registration of a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Is it necessary to perform Root Cause Analysis for each failed part? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
L Approved Parts Listing- ISO 13485- Is an approved parts listing necessary? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Is it necessary to record all nonconforming products? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
P Is it necessary to consider ISO 22002-1 for the implementation of ISO 22000 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
M ISO 10993 - Repeat tests necessary if colour changes slightly? Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
Q Is an actual document for Roles and Responsibilities necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K RC14001:2008 - Audit of Internal Audit: Is this necessary? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
G When are Flow Charts necessary or required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Associated Documents List within a Procedure - What is necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Document Control: It's necessary to have the approved date for docs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K Internal Audits - Necessary before Stage 1 Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42