Is it necessary to provide specific numbers to the various forms?

D

dr madhavan

Is it necessary to provide specific numbers to the various forms which are used?
Is it not sufficient to identify them with clear description (name)?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

eskay

Dr.Madhavan,
In my opinion, only the name should be sufficient. All you need to have is an unique identification of the form for control purposes.

Any other comments??

Kannan

J

Jim Biz

Names or titles are unique identification --- but how would you then identify changes to the documents -- I would think you need to also have them identified by date or a revision level to ensure the document is current.

T

Tom Goetzinger

You have to use what works for you. Many companies find that assigning a number to the form makes it clearer. We relate form numbers to elements, but that is only because it works for us; there is no need for the number to mean anything. I found that using a number eliminated any chance of confusion when a form was discussed or used.
Consider your environment and go from there. If a unique form name will serve your purpose, and you are confident that using a form name will remain workable for you as your system develop, do it.

D

dr madhavan

Yes. We have provided issue / revision status to these forms. Moreover, a Master List shows the current status of all the forms.

J

JParrish

I like the suggestion Tom made. Naming the forms against certain elements is something that I have started seeing more recently, and wish I would have done the same. It makes everything much more organized and meaningful. We currently give our forms identification that can be a combo of numbers and letters (ie. Quality Change form being - "Qualchg") This suits us, making it easy to find a form by it's id number.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
All you have to do is identify them in some way. With smaller companies all the ID you need is the name of the form.

If you look at www.qs9000.com/pdf_files/Doc_Matrix.pdf you will see a document matrix for a small company. None of the procedures, forms, etc. have any identifier other than the disk file name. You could just use the name of the form as several clients have done. Companies turn to numbers and such as their size grows. If you have 5000 people you're gonna have a lot of different forms and procedures - a name simply will not do.

I recomment a letter prefix, number base and 'clarifier' (form, procedure, policy, whatever) suffix such as QA-1234-F (Quality Assurance form 1234) and where hte form is linked to the reference procedure. Let's say QA-1234-P has 3 associated forms - they will be QA-1234-F1, QA-1234-F2 and QA-1234-F3. I prefer the letter prefix so that you don't have to remember a number. If you see PUR you pretty well know its a document 'owned' by purchasing.

Keep it simple and keep it as self evident as possible. I prsonally recommend that a company NOT link procedures to sections of ISO9001 or any other standard. Do what's right for your company. As many companys are beginning to realize, as ISO9001 evolves their link to the old 20 elements means nothing. Nada.

My 3 cents...

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 02 May 2000).]

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree what ever works...my personal favorite is link to the requirement .... typically the procedure that calls out its use......

W

Wallybaloo

Another reason to not link the forms to ISO is to promote the philosophy that what you're doing is for the company, not for ISO.

It drives me (a little) crazy when our employees constantly refer to Operating Procedures as the 'ISO Procedures'. ISO may have been the catalyst that got us off our collective butts and got SOPs updated, but first and foremost, they're here to benefit the company.

K

km214

Forms and revisions

Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding forms. We have forms that are not uniquely identified but are a part of the related document (ie: SOP's, etc..).

I am struggling with the fact that the rev. date as depicted on the forms is not always changed when the document is uprev'ed. The only time this is done, according to the staff that have been performing the doc. work for several years, is when the form itself is changed. My quandry is that because these forms are a part of the primary document their rev should be changed(date of rev EX: 11/04) when the document is changed regardless of whether the form itself was or was not changed. If the form was an independant piece with a unique number and rev. This would not be needed. Can anyone provide me with the relevant regulation(s) that specifically apply to this..?
Thank You
Katherine McKay

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
B Is it necessary to conduct product audit of entire product which is manufactured in the company as per IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Clinical Trial to sell in the EU - Necessary or Not? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K GDPR - Is it really necessary for the DPO(s) to be knowledgeable to Data Privacy Law? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
D How to ensure independence and authority necessary to perform QM tasks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
bobdoering "nds" or Number of Discriminate Samples - the Necessary Tool to Work With "ndc"! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Is an index necessary for DMR or DHF? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
H Change of a medical device sterilization dose - New 510(k) necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Time necessary for all Risk Management activities ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Risk Identification and Risk Assessment for any Process - Is it necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
C Change Order necessary to document FMEA Updates? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Is a Laboratory Scope Necessary if... IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Is a GR&R necessary for Weighing Scale? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Procedures necessary for things such as the floor cleaner or weigh scale ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Certified Internal auditor is necessary? ISO 9001 requirement? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
T Is it necessary to Audit our CARs and SCARs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Biocompatibility - why are animal studies necessary? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
N Is Notified Body approval necessary for small changes to IVD IFU? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
G Plant Relocation - Is it necessary to perform FAI? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
A Is IEC 80601-2-60 necessary for Dental Laser? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F Necessary trainings for FAR 145 certification Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
H 510k Submission - Is Risk Management necessary? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Is Notification of the Test Laboratory always necessary for Supplier Changes? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
S Certificate Suspension Necessary in case of No Production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Cosmetic Spec - Convincing Management Visual Inspection Standard is Necessary Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
GStough Is A Re-Audit Necessary after Disaster Recovery? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Internal Audit of the Training System - Corrective Action Necessary? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 16
X Necessary or Unnecessary Redundancy in Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Is it necessary to show Model Number on the Labeling (meter box, label and manual)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Retroactive Training Records Necessary? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Necessary test documents for Class II Medical Device Hardware and Firmware ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
somashekar How to Determine the Necessary Employee Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M IEC 60601-1 testing for device with its own 2V battery power supply necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Documents necessary for registration of a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Is it necessary to perform Root Cause Analysis for each failed part? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
L Approved Parts Listing- ISO 13485- Is an approved parts listing necessary? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Is it necessary to record all nonconforming products? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
P Is it necessary to consider ISO 22002-1 for the implementation of ISO 22000 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
M ISO 10993 - Repeat tests necessary if colour changes slightly? Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
Q Is an actual document for Roles and Responsibilities necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K RC14001:2008 - Audit of Internal Audit: Is this necessary? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
G When are Flow Charts necessary or required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Associated Documents List within a Procedure - What is necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Document Control: It's necessary to have the approved date for docs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K Internal Audits - Necessary before Stage 1 Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
U Fastening Delrin to Aluminum - Is a lock washer necessary? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B Is Immediate Action really necessary before a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7