Is it obligatory that only trained personel can carry out calibration?

Is it obligatory that only trained personell can carry out calibration?
There are no requirements in 4.11 or somewhere else in ISO 9001/2/3.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
In QS9000 paragraph 4.11.2.b.1 , there is reference to 4.10.6 . 4.10.6.1 states "..The personnel making professional judgment with reference to testing and/or calibration shall have appropriate background and experience (see 4.1.2.2). "

In paragraph 4.1.2.2. of QS9000 it states "The supplier shall identify resource requirements and provide adequate resources, including the assignment of trained personnel (se 4.18), for management, performance of work and verification activities, internal quality audits."

The requirement for trained personnel are not directly addressed in 4.11, but when you follow around through QS9000, it is there. In ISO 10012-1, there are also specific requirements for trained personnel.

In my view, this is a common sense requirement. Anyone doing a job function that requires specific technical knowledge needs to know how to do his or her job. The QS9000 goes only a little further by requiring that you have documentation to show that they know how to do their job correctly.

I hope this was helpful.

------------------

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Is a confirmation trial is obligatory in development of a product? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Is a confirmation trial obligatory in development of a product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A What are the obligatory medical device reporting timelines for AIMD devices ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Is double packaging obligatory for surgical single-use scalpels? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
J Are the Pre-Launch Control Plan and Pre-Launch PFMEA obligatory? FMEA and Control Plans 3
H Statistical process programs for PPAP: Expecting some to become obligatory? APQP and PPAP 9
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
S Ways to demonstrate objective evidence that employee is trained and competent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
P Recruiting Trained Individuals for QC Positions Career and Occupation Discussions 8
R OSHA - How often an employee needs to be Re-Trained on Safety Methods Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
M How can I get Trained on Regulatory Affairs? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S What would be the evidence for trained/competent inspectors? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
C Can a Company get away with not having Employees Trained to the Processes they use? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J Aerospace Parts not Evaluated Properly by Trained Person AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Do Internal Auditors need to be Trained? Internal Auditing 10
P Where can one get trained in belts and lean manufacturing? Professional Certifications and Degrees 10
J Does plant personnel need to be re-trained to the new ISO 9001:2008 revision?? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Internal Auditor Training - How often should an internal auditor be trained? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
I Electronic Training Records which show Evidence that People have been Trained Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 29
T USAF DoD trained in calibration - Looking for Careerpath advice.... Career and Occupation Discussions 5
T 3 levels of TS 16949 Infrastructure - Process, Documented & Trained, Sustainable IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
J Training Question - Maintain copies of *what* people were trained on? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 26
B Writing ISO 9001:2000 Procedures - Seeking trained opinion on my procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D ISO 9004 6.2.2.2 has listed "periodic refresher programs for people already trained" General Auditing Discussions 6
S Can a trained person in our lab "certify" a piece of steel gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Tests to give our Trained Internal Auditors Internal Auditing 19
M Training Records - Do all employees have to be trained on ISO 9001:2000? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 31
L Practical Ideas for TS 6.2.2.4 - Personel are aware of the relevance and importance.. Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
C Need advice on the competency requirements of Laboratory Personel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
I Clean Rooms Training - Particle release (personel), Sedmentation velocity of particle ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D QS9000 - Changes in personel requirements to match the job description QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5