SBS - The best value in QMS software

Is it ok to provide a different language upon request?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Article 10 of the EU MDR states:

11. Manufacturers shall ensure that the device is accompanied by the information set out in Section 23 of Annex I in an official Union language(s) determined by the Member State in which the device is made available to the user or patient.
(emphasis added)

Here's the scenario:
- We have translated labelling for each EU country we ship to, in order to comply with this regulation.
- Now, one of our distributors is requesting that we send them a shipment with English labeling - not the language of their member state (presumably because they have some English-speaking customers in the country).

Questions:
- If we were to comply, would we be violating the regulation?
- If so, is there some other strategy by which we can comply with their request (maybe designating it as custom?).
- Am I over-thinking? Is this even a big deal to comply with the distributor's request and ship them an English package?

Any input/advice much appreciated!
MM.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
#1: I am not in medical...so read this with that in mind...

The requirement seems pretty clear..."in an official Union language(s) determined by the Member State in which the device is made available to the user or patient".
If you or your distributor want to ADD english, so be it...but it does not remove the foundation requirement.

The only way the base requirement would be bypassed is if the location where "the device is made available to the user or patient" is not a member state...

Then you would have to look into the regulations of that new area.

HTH

Mark Meer

The requirement seems pretty clear..."in an official Union language(s) determined by the Member State in which the device is made available to the user or patient".
If you or your distributor want to ADD english, so be it...but it does not remove the foundation requirement. ...
Thanks for the input Ninja.

I agree, but to clarify: it is not that English is added, they are requesting a shipment that is only English (because there are some labels (packaging, device,...) that space-wise it is not possible to have more than one language).

That being my situation, let's expand to a hypothetical to further discussion:

What if the EU distributor has some in-country customers that don't speak any official EU languages - say, they speak Arabic. They put in a request to the manufacturer - who already sells in the UAE so has already developed Arabic labelling - to ship them the Arabic versions of their product. Can the manufacturer comply with such a request? How does this situation change if the language IS an official EU language, but NOT a language of the specific member state?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
Again, I'm not in medical...so take anything I say as unreliable third party...

"They put in a request to the manufacturer - who already sells in the UAE so has already developed Arabic labelling - to ship them the Arabic versions of their product."
---asking is one thing, disobeying a directive is another...that's why I used the word "add". Add Arabic if desired, but you still have to comply with the requirement to provide language selected by the member state.

"Can the manufacturer comply with such a request?"
Sure...they can ADD the language. It does not, however, release them from the existing burden to supply the "official Union language(s) determined by the Member State".

"How does this situation change if the language IS an official EU language, but NOT a language of the specific member state?"
It doesn't. You have a regulatory obligation defined by the specific member state. You can do whatever you want IN ADDITION to that...but you still have to do what the member state defined, and that the standard requires.

The end user ( I assume) does not have the authority to override regulatory requirements.

Separate it out for me in the USA (in extreme intentionally). If a customer wants me to ship a topological poison to them, but add language to the label stating that is is a hair dye...I can add whatever label I want, but it will IN ADDITION get a skull and crossed bones with the words "Poison, do not ingest. Avoid Skin Contact. Use with Care. TOPOLOGICAL POISON." on it, as well as all of the other required warnings.

FWIW, there are a variety of expandable labels, and a variety of sizes in warning brochures...everything is available at a price...:D

HTH

Mark Meer

"Can the manufacturer comply with such a request?"
Sure...they can ADD the language....
Yes, of course. But this would burden on the manufacturer. Instead of simply shipping an existing ready-to-go product (e.g. the Arabic version), they'd have to develop entirely new labelling (German/Arabic, French/Arabic,...). That is to say nothing of those labels inherently restricted by space...
In all likelihood, in the end, the distributor would have to report to their Arabic customers that they are S.O.L.. Seems a shame...

The end user ( I assume) does not have the authority to override regulatory requirements.

Separate it out for me in the USA (in extreme intentionally). If a customer wants me to ship a topological poison to them, but add language to the label stating that is is a hair dye...I can add whatever label I want, but it will IN ADDITION get a skull and crossed bones with the words "Poison, do not ingest. Avoid Skin Contact. Use with Care. TOPOLOGICAL POISON." on it, as well as all of the other required warnings.
I don't know that this is a fair comparison, as what the customer is requesting is arguably something to help them use the device as intended, and more safely.

If a customer is not well versed in the native language, there are only a few options:

1. Ask manufacturer to make new labels that include their language
- Likely outcome: too burdensome for manufacturer and they refuse. Customer does not get their medical device.

2. Ask manufacturer to ship the device in their language (assuming the manufacturer already has such unit available).
- Likely outcome: manufacturer refuses as it would violate regulations. Customer does not get their medical device.

3. Ship in the available EU Member State language
- Likely outcome: customer receives device, but may not use correctly/safely as they might not be able to properly interpret the labelling.

None of these likely outcomes seems all that great...

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
- If we were to comply, would we be violating the regulation?
Probably yes.

For example, Brazil has requirements that the instructions for use (or any labeling) are in Portuguese. Any device put into the country (in Brazil's case, it's not only into the market, but into the country) that does not come with instructions for use (or labeling) in Portuguese is violating the regulation. If a distributor requests that a manufacturer send them device with instructions for use in English, the manufacturer would in principle need to say that he cannot ship a device with that characteristic. If an ANVISA officer in customs notes a device with instructions for use (or labeling) not in Portuguese, he can deny it's entry into Brazil.

Mark Meer

...If a distributor requests that a manufacturer send them device with instructions for use in English, the manufacturer would in principle need to say that he cannot ship a device with that characteristic. If an ANVISA officer in customs notes a device with instructions for use (or labeling) not in Portuguese, he can deny it's entry into Brazil.
This is what I suspected (sadly).

...but I predict that in the near future this approach will become increasingly untenable.

As countries become increasingly multi-cultural there are growing segments of local population whose grasp of the official language is minimal, and for whom such policies are inadvertently detrimental.

dgrainger

Under MDR the distributor has to verify that the manufacturer is meeting Article 10(11) - they can't request extra languages! See Article 14.2.(b)

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
wait wait wait

I was in printing for a time. We printed IFU sheets in multiple languages for our customers. In the same document. So something going to France came with instructions in English, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, and Italian - all in one document. That way they only had to print a single document and keep inventory of a single document.

I don't believe this is in violation of the directive.
If it's not then sending a customer a document in another language would be fine as long as they also have it in the language of their state as required by the directive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
I What direction do you provide your internal auditors on OFIs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
M FDA News Safety Alert – USFDA warns about safety risks of teething necklaces, bracelets to relieve teething pain or to provide sensory stimulation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Medical Device Registration in Argentina - Client asks us to provide “European FSC” Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
N GDP - Having to provide a reason when writing N/A? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C How long is an OEM obligated to provide spare parts and repair EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Is a parent company who provide services to its subsidiary a Supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q How to provide evidence of Strategic Direction (Easy) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M How do we document and measure a service we do not provide? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4 - Externally provide process not for automotive part IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Is it mandatory to provide the results of the validation report in handwriting? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R GHS compliance - Are we are required to provide an SDS? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Can someone provide an example of a Product Safety Policy? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Can anyone provide an example of Design Validation Protocol and Report? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Can anyone provide me a copy of uncertainty in excel file? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
F How to provide 2 MOPP (Means of Patient Protection) - Heating Rod IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M How to provide Stability Study for micron-precision tool Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
E Do I hire a Chemist or a non-Chemist and provide training ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
V Manager wont take the lead ....Leadership wont provide clarity....what to do? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
A Pls provide some examples of Quality System Basics (QSB) Internal Auditing 3
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q Who can provide a ISO 9001 Lead Auditor QMS training course? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
V How much Supplier Information do I have to provide to a Customer? APQP and PPAP 6
somashekar Who can provide a WHO GMP certificate in India acceptable to the CDSCO Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
H Acceptable Time to provide proof of CAR (Corrective Action Report) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
Q Provide Example(s) for ISO 9001 7.2.1 (b) and 7.2.1(d) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C What kind of information you provide when conducting QMS Orientation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
S Customer Provide Control Procedure & Changes of Products and QMS Control Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Fender1 How to comply with ISO 9001 and provide quick/short lead-time orders? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
I Should I provide a Certificate of Analysis for all the products? Is it mandatory? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Who should provide information I ask for? Internal Audit question Internal Auditing 4
N Outside source to provide Basic Measurement Training - Louisville, KY Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
K Does an Internal Audit provide Objective or Subjective Verification? Internal Auditing 14
D Product Shipment without Signed PSW - Customer does not provide signed PSW to us APQP and PPAP 13
F Who should provide blank drawings and foundry molding drawings? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Analysis of Welding Parameters - Can Taguchi methods provide equation? Using Minitab Software 11
R Can Factorial Design provide Regression Equation like RSM? Using Minitab Software 4
Y Laboratories which can do IEEE Std 844 Tests and provide a CoC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
B Please provide me with the latest AS9100C Checklist AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F Integrating Third-Party Software into Software we Provide ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C Confused with 7.4 Purchasing - We provide a "service" which is our "product" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C EU requirement to provide batteries with Class 1 mobility products Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
M Total Variation Formula - Can someone provide a source for this formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
O The Layout of Dimensional Results and What to Provide the Customer APQP and PPAP 16
A Can anybody provide a copy of ISO 9001:2008 standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Who can provide me Dodge-Romig inspection tables? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Hershal NCSLI Report - Invitation to provide more information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A How long must I provide service or spare parts for medical devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 10