Is it possible to get Pp,Ppk more than the within subgroup (Cp,Cpk's) indices?

C

cyberjyothi

We are manufacturer's of Battery plates.

Our sampling frequency is 1 plate (weight) once in 5 minutes in a mix of paste.Total Paste Mix run length is about 45 minutes.

Some of the times will obeserved Pp,Ppk > Cp,Cpk. Is it possible? If yes How can we interpret (with-in subgroup variation is > the overall variation) and conclude the same.

Rgds,
Jyothiswar.M

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

caversluis

I presume you are using Minitab. The overall and within capability normally are discussed a lot. See also minitabs explantation here

http://www.minitab.com/support/answers/answer.aspx?log=0&id=605

Remember that Cp/Cpk is used for long term capability studies whereas Pp/Ppk are uses for preliminary studies. Normally long term studies can take month and include alle the possible variations over time.

In some cases, this is not possible to do. For example when running in new product. In this case, you will have to use Pp/Ppk but this will be run over a shorter period of time. By doing that, wou will not have all the possible variantions and the requirements for Pp/Ppk are normally higher that for Cp/Cpk.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Your data is not normal. There is a large peak at 508.0, and there are more results at the integer value (#.0) than there are at the #.5 value (possible rounding by some operators?). This violates the assumptions that the capability indices are based upon, and can give odd results such as you have seen.

Regarding the previous post by caversluis, this was once true in the early days, when Ford first proposed these indices. However, today Pp/Ppk is calculated using total variation (long term), and Cp/Cpk is calculated using within subgroup variation (short term).

D

David DeLong

Regarding the previous post by caversluis, this was once true in the early days, when Ford first proposed these indices. However, today Pp/Ppk is calculated using total variation (long term), and Cp/Cpk is calculated using within subgroup variation (short term).
I was a bit confused with your answer above since Pp/Ppk is usually short term capability studies while Cp/Cpk are long term taken from control charts and using the average range/d2. That's how I have understood it.

I took out my AIAG SPC second edition and reviewed page 207 and 208 Glossary of Terms and Symbols.

Pp The performance index, typically defined as (USL - LSL)
6 est. stand. deviations

The estimated standard deviations had a subscript "P" so I checked it out and it states "The estimate of the standard deviation of a process using the sample standard deviation of a set of individuals about the average of the set . This is an estimate of the total process variation of the process"

Cp is the same formula but the standard deviation was developed by, and I quote "The estimate of the standard deviation of a stable process using the average range of subgrouped samples taken from the process,usually within the context of control charts, where d2 factor is table in Appendix E.

I think you have it reversed about long and short term.

D

Darius

Donald Wheeler wrote about the posibility to find such behabiur, in such case he said (more or less) that it could be blamed to the wrong subgrouping (with 5 as subgroup size looks normal).

IMHO, it could be that both numbers are escencially equal:bonk:

:notme:Remember that capability indicators are just an estimate of the real thing, as I posted before the sample size affects the confidence interval of such estimates, so escencially could be both numbers equal.

http://elsmar.com/Forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1605&d=1070548921:magic:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I was a bit confused with your answer above since Pp/Ppk is usually short term capability studies while Cp/Cpk are long term taken from control charts and using the average range/d2. That's how I have understood it.

I took out my AIAG SPC second edition and reviewed page 207 and 208 Glossary of Terms and Symbols.

Pp The performance index, typically defined as (USL - LSL)
6 est. stand. deviations

The estimated standard deviations had a subscript "P" so I checked it out and it states "The estimate of the standard deviation of a process using the sample standard deviation of a set of individuals about the average of the set . This is an estimate of the total process variation of the process"

Cp is the same formula but the standard deviation was developed by, and I quote "The estimate of the standard deviation of a stable process using the average range of subgrouped samples taken from the process,usually within the context of control charts, where d2 factor is table in Appendix E.

I think you have it reversed about long and short term.
You are correct in your formulae, but not in the application of the indices.

From Minitab HELP: Cpk vs Ppk - Minitab calculates Ppk using the overall variation Both the between-subgroup and within-subgroup contributes to the overall variation. Cpk is calculated using the within-subgroup variation, but not the shift and drift between subgroups. Ppk is for the whole process. If Cpk and Ppk are the same, then the overall standard deviation approximately equals the within-subgroup standard deviation.

In short, Cp is the best that your process can do when centered and in control. Pp is what your process is actually doing long term.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Donald Wheeler wrote about the posibility to find such behabiur, in such case he said (more or less) that it could be blamed to the wrong subgrouping (with 5 as subgroup size looks normal).

IMHO, it could be that both numbers are escencially equal:bonk:

:notme:Remember that capability indicators are just an estimate of the real thing, as I posted before the sample size affects the confidence interval of such estimates, so escencially could be both numbers equal.

http://elsmar.com/Forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1605&d=1070548921:magic:
yes Wheeler wrote about this phenomenon. the OP has "chunky" data. the short term capability index is Cpk and is calculated by using the within subgroup standard deviation. The OP has s30 ingle values. His software therefore calculates the standard deviation using the range method. (actually the MOVING range) Ranges are very susceptable to chunky data - data that has very few possible values. The OP's data is chunky. possibly due to rounding...chunky data OVERESTIMATES the standard deviation particularly when you use the range instead of the standard deviation. The long term capability index is calculted using the total standard deviation (both within and between subgruop variation). in this case the total standard deviation is calculated using the standard deviation formula and is less affected by the chunky data.

I'm not sure yet that in real life the indexes are the same. there are 2 distinct lower value regions in the data. (plot it in 'time series' assuming that the data is sorted in time series!) this suggests that there is some shifting or between subgroup variation.

my question for the OP is: are these 30 sequential values or are they 30 random values? if they are random, are the data sorted vertically in time sequence??? this is critical to understanding your results and providing you the appropriate advice...

and of course previous posters are correct about the one time Ford attempt to reverse the definitions of Cpk and Ppk. Cpk is short term capability using within subgroup variation and Ppk is long term capability using total standard deviation. Ford's deviation was for a very special case and only confused people. today's software follows the standard convention not Ford's bastardization.

that said this whole thread is just one more reason why weshoudl abolish the Cpk/Ppk thing! plot your data look at your data and then think about your data!

C

cyberjyothi

Yes! The data posted here is follows sequential order(once in 5 minutes) and the date has not been rounded off. Our Gage L.C is 0.1 grams.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Pp and Ppk indices - Is it statistically possible to have a Ppk greater than Pp? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
J Impact Testing--Is conversion between Izod and Sharpy Possible? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G One-person QMS - possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
L Significant subcontractor update, still under MDD Certification, possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C Narrow definition of IMTE or calibration possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
L Reduce risks as far as possible - Quartz Crystal ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
J EC Certification transfer from CMO to Legal Manufacturer Possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K Silver Plating corroding possible during SMT Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
K Is it possible to avoid the OQ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
G Special 510K possible? Only the packaging has changed Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
supadrai Possible to Submit a 510(k) if you have never, do not and cannot produce the device for which you're submitting the application? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J Possible to get ISO 13485 certified with only OEM Product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
M Informational EU – Possible EUDAMED delay Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Is it possible to get iso 13485:2016 certified as a one man band ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
dhuot1990 USP 41 Hanging Scale - Is it possible to make a hang scale adhere to USP41 Standards? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
F Apple Watch is not a medical device. How can this be possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.3 - Is it possible to exclude one product but include it in other? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
B Integrated management system - ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 - Is possible to have a joint certificate covering both standards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
E Is it possible to start an ISO 9001 QMS from scratch (Really) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Some possible misunderstandings on the application of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
P Is it possible to make an educated decision using a very very small sample size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
a_bardi Is it possible to exclude internal audit from qms scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G ISO 9001:2015 - Is control possible with Excel adaptable measurement sheets? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
S Indications for Use - Is it possible to have a different indication for use EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C %GRR <10% not possible. How to get approval by auditor? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
I Is risk acceptability really needed if all risks must be reduced as far as possible? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M Is Automated Internal Auditing Possible? Internal Auditing 13
A Integrated Management Systems - ISO 50001 and ISO 9001 possible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Is it possible to receive EASA STC within 48 hours after modification? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
3 Israel: 1 Medical Device, Multiple Registrations = Possible? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Marc Yahoo probes possible huge data breach - BBC News - 2016 World News 1
Marc Yahoo probes possible huge data breach World News 0
S Preparing a Root Cause Report - Possible Root Causes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M Future of ISO 14971 - Possible revision? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
M Is IEC 60601 compliance possible when only generic power-supply is specified? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Is it possible to have more than one authorized representative in Saudi Arabia? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
Y Is it possible to check the authenticity of a CFDA registration certificate? China Medical Device Regulations 7
T Reduced Audit days when UPGRADING from AS9100 to TS16949 - Is it possible? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Ajit Basrur Is Biocompatibility study performed on medical devices for possible contaminants? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
B Subsidiary - No Managing Director - Is ISO 9001 Certification Possible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Is it possible to randomly select samples from 1 column to many column Using Minitab Software 2
Marc Google Fiber chooses nine metro areas for possible expansion After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Hershal ILAC is preparing to start the possible revision to ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
0 Is it possible to use a threaded ring gage to calibrate the M8 gage? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
A Is it possible for STC application before issue of TC ? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
B Is it possible that a virus sends spam on Facebook? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Ronen E Incretin Mimetic Drugs for Type 2 Diabetes: Possible Increased Risk Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0