Is it required to upgrade an AS9100 B Procedure Manual to AS9100 Rev. C

S

sideoiler

This may sound like a real dumb question, but here it goes.... If you have recently upgraded from a AS9100 Rev. B QMS to Rev. C is it required to upgrade your AS9100 Procedure Manual to Rev. C as well? (example Rev. B has no mention of Risk Management) Can I just incorporate procedures to my existing QAP Manual for sections 3.1 - 3.4, is it necessary, or do I have to upgrade the QAP Manual to Rev. C also... This is my first Rodeo as QA and kind of got thrown into the fire because I was available to take over where the last rep stopped in mid implementation. We just got certified last year and are about to have our full third party audit here shortly. I would like to minimize the amount of what some may consider "no brainer" findings, as best I can....
Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated....

rickpaul01

Involved in HankyPanky
Hi Side,
I’m not clear on your question, so I’ll be careful how I phrase my response.
You need a Quality Manual.
You also need some top level procedures. These could be part of the QM, or separate documents that are referenced in the QM (What most organizations do.)
These two levels of documents need to match the Rev C requirements.
The documents in the next level down probably include some “procedures” also. But to avoid confusion with level two procedures, I call these work instructions. The only level three document that I remember having to change as a result of Rev C, is a work instruction used by our internal auditors. (New revision caused us to ask different questions during the audits.) There might have been a couple others that I don’t remember, but the point is that level threes are not as aligned with the standard as the first two levels.
Hope this helps.

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
This may sound like a real dumb question, but here it goes.... If you have recently upgraded from a AS9100 Rev. B QMS to Rev. C is it required to upgrade your AS9100 Procedure Manual to Rev. C as well? (example Rev. B has no mention of Risk Management) Can I just incorporate procedures to my existing QAP Manual for sections 3.1 - 3.4, is it necessary, or do I have to upgrade the QAP Manual to Rev. C also... This is my first Rodeo as QA and kind of got thrown into the fire because I was available to take over where the last rep stopped in mid implementation. We just got certified last year and are about to have our full third party audit here shortly. I would like to minimize the amount of what some may consider "no brainer" findings, as best I can....

Could you please define what is in your "AS9100 Procedure Manual"? Is this your quality manual? All your quality procedures? A combination of both? Or something else all together?

S

sideoiler

Rickpaul thanks for the input, it helps a lot.... I had a good idea someone would tell me yes that it is necessary for the QM and QP to be on the same Rev. but wasn't 100% sure. I have so many loose ends that I am trying to tighten up that I almost overlooked the two manuals, making sure they are both on the same Rev.

Thanks again!:)

S

sideoiler

Could you please define what is in your "AS9100 Procedure Manual"? Is this your quality manual? All your quality procedures? A combination of both? Or something else all together?
It is the quality procedures.

J

Joy

There is no change in requirement for quality manual (clause 4.2.2) in Rev.C.So if the requirements mentioned in the clause are met, auditor cannot object.Taking your example of risk management,if you have a good system of risk management in the organization but no mention in quality manual,would not be a problem.However, if you establish a documented procedure for the risk management,either you have to make a reference of the procedure in the quality manual or the documented procedure itself need to be in the quality manual.In such situations you have to make some changes in the manual.

As you want to save time, my suggestion would be first implement systems to meet the new requirements.Then check if you are able manage (effectively) without documented procedure.If not, go for documentation.Once it is done, go for changes in the quality manual.

Hope it helps.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Future reference - do not include rev in your quality manual - this way you don't have to worry about changing, upgrading or proving that it meets the latest.

Meet the requirement of the standards and in the back (or where ever you have the history of upgrade) make a statement of what was updated.

S

sideoiler

There is no change in requirement for quality manual (clause 4.2.2) in Rev.C.So if the requirements mentioned in the clause are met, auditor cannot object.Taking your example of risk management,if you have a good system of risk management in the organization but no mention in quality manual,would not be a problem.However, if you establish a documented procedure for the risk management,either you have to make a reference of the procedure in the quality manual or the documented procedure itself need to be in the quality manual.In such situations you have to make some changes in the manual.

As you want to save time, my suggestion would be first implement systems to meet the new requirements.Then check if you are able manage (effectively) without documented procedure.If not, go for documentation.Once it is done, go for changes in the quality manual.

Hope it helps.
Joy, thanks for the great info.... I will take your advise and see if we can conform without a documented procedure for the time being...:thanx:

S

sideoiler

Future reference - do not include rev in your quality manual - this way you don't have to worry about changing, upgrading or proving that it meets the latest.

Meet the requirement of the standards and in the back (or where ever you have the history of upgrade) make a statement of what was updated.

Dsanabria, Sorry for the confusion, I was not referring to the revision of my quality manual, but rather the revision of the AS9100 standards themselves.

Top Bottom