Is it worth the effort to implement ISO 31000 Risk based on ISO 9001:2015?

Q

QAMTY

Hi everybody

I´m somewhat confused regarding what to implement as risk in ISO 9001 2015.

It is not an obligation to use ISO 31000/31010, according to 9001 2015 requirements, but some people recommend to use it.

My point is, if we take as a reference the 31000 we also have to consider all the next:

Establishing the context

Risk identification
Risk analysis
Risk evaluation
Risk treatment
Risk monitoring
additionally to establish a policy
For me. I think is too much work to do.

While , if you want to take it easy, you just identify the risk by a brainstorming method, then you do the analysis (a simple analysis, not using the tools explained in 31010), then is evaluated in a qualitative way assigning them low, medium, and high level, then apply treatment and monitoring.

Considering that my business is a print shop, (not risky), I don´t consider to use 31000/31010, I´ll follow the easy way.

what do you think about this?

thanks for your feedback

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
ISO 31000 defines a full risk management process (and it really is focused on business/financial risk management, although ISO tries to sell the idea that it's risk management for everything). ISO 9001 does not require a full risk management process, only risk-based thinking (whatever it is, because no one knows).

So not, you probably should not use a full risk management process with ISO 9001 (unless you understand the differences and concludes it's worthwhile).

(You also can think of a risk management system, which is a management system to manage risks, in the same way a quality management system manage quality).

Randy

Super Moderator
Ask yourself a very simple question...Is the effort worth the expense?

Basically, will the results be equal to or greater than the resources that will be expended to achieve them?

You're going to be expending a great deal of time in an effort that may or may not provide any return or be of any long term value....

Remember this equation... T=$ (Time is equal to money)

Before you start undertaking a task that might require hundreds or even thousands of man hours you might be well served to figure out what a man hour of time is worth...And the value of time exceeds just salary when you start factoring in prorated costs like benefits. Over the last 40 years or so I've yet to fail with a factor of MH = 1.33 - 1.5 base salary when I start working on costs.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
QAMTY,

I think you have done a risk analysis on the needs of your risk analysis process and you have an answer: you do not see a need for a 31000-based risk analysis process. You probably have lots of company on that......

Randy

Super Moderator
QAMTY,

I think you have done a risk analysis on the needs of your risk analysis process and you have an answer: you do not see a need for a 31000-based risk analysis process. You probably have lots of company on that......
You don't even need a formal process or way to determine risk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Old machine (Mitutoyo Qualimate DL-500) for SPC - Is it Worth the effort? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
G USAS ISO 9001 Certification, online is it worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J CEN/TR 17223:2018 Guidance on the relationship between13485 and MDR.. worth the money?? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
L 510 (K) Pre-Sub meeting - Does it worth? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
I AIAG 2018 Quality Summit - Is it worth it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Are online IATF 16949 training/certification worth the investment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
P ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional is the certification worth it? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
L The ink is dry(ing) on the revision of ISO 14001:2015. “Is the payoff worth the price Imported Legacy Blogs 0
somashekar ISO 13485. Is it worth to the Medical Device Industry. Imported Legacy Blogs 0
L Dale Carnegie course in UK - Is it worth it? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Are Refurbished Laptops worth buying? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
D Have my CQE - Is it worth "backfilling" other Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
M AIAG Membership Consideration - Worth It? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
I New AIAG CQI guidelines published - Are they worth buying? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Is the AIAG IMDS Summit Productive - Worth the time/investment? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
J Is ASQ CQM/OE web-based training worth it? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L RAPS (Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society) books - Are they worth it? Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
B Are Premium LinkedIn accounts worth the investment? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
O NET-INSPECT is it worth it? Small Machine Shop doing AS9100 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
H AS9101D Microsoft Word Format: Worth It? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Occupational Hazard....is it worth ? Imported Legacy Blogs 3
N The Worth and Value of Certifications and Degrees Career and Occupation Discussions 15
B 15 Things Worth Remembering Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
jasonb067 AIAG Membership worth it or not? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D Advancing in a Career - HELP!! Is it worth it? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Wes Bucey What's this job worth? Career and Occupation Discussions 20
J Quality Manager Exam Reference Material that would be Worth the Investment Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
B ISO/TS 16949 - What's it worth? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Chennaiite What is the loss? A guy buys a chocolate from a shop worth 80 YEN Brain Teasers and Puzzles 20
S Packaged ISO Systems - Are canned policies and procedures worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 49
E Hypothesis Test - Determining if a second wash is worth performing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Marc The end of the road for U.S. carmakers? Are the Big Three worth saving? World News 27
K Are Online Universities worth to join or scam? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
S TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) - Ideas worth spreading Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
T Does a years worth of prototype manufacturing "count" for TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
BradM The Legality of Business Documents - Is all the trouble worth it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
C How do you measure your contribution? How do you measure your worth? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
V Classes to take for AS9100 around the Fort Worth, TX area Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Wes Bucey Test of English in International Communication (TOEIC) - Worth $65? Benchmarking 1
G Fundamentals of Color and Appearance - Seminar with Nick Lena - Worth the cost? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
S Salary assessment: What am I worth to my company? Career and Occupation Discussions 18
Marc Robot Finds Treasure Estimated To Be Worth $10 Billion on Robinson Crusoe Island World News 0
G Wood Chain of Custody Certification - Is this worth doing? What does it cost? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
Q Tracking a stock you feel is worth looking into? Share the wealth! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
J Is 1 year worth of audits required for TS Certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H Is ISO 9001 registration worth the cost in a non-manufacturing organization Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 21
F The worth and effectiveness of Self-Inspection: Seeking Opinions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6