Is it worth to document all the processes?

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hi everybody

I have some doubts if i have to take into considerations to document a process, which in my case is
not critical, is 7.1.3 Infraestructure, and additionally most of these serveces are provided by an external provider.

The requirements in 4.4.1

"The organization shall determine the processes needed for the quality management system and their
application throughout the organization, and shall:"

"c) determine and apply the criteria and methods (including monitoring, measurements and related
performance indicators) needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes;"

It is a small factory , 10 people, really the needs for infrastructure are
minimal, also I don´t see the need to set a kpi to measure its performance.

I know that I have to take into considerations the core processes, e.g. Purchasing, production, quality, delivery,
but in doubt if i have to include Infraestructure for what I explained.

I also know that the standard does not require to have it documented, altough I know i need to have evidences to prove I´m complaining with it.
For that I will have ready service reports of an external provider, who in most of cases helps me in that need,

What do you think about this?

Or is it valid to have it shown in the process map also in a procedure but not to set Kpis?

Please help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I think for 7.1.3 it suffices to have a table of the maintenance items, with columns something like: who is responsible to perform/manage them, and frequency of maintenance. That is what we have used, and have had zero NCs or auditor concerns.

Outsourced maintenance services, of course, also needs to be addressed per 8.4.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Not sure the industry but for medical devices the infrastructure clause can tie into the requirement to prevent mixups. If an auditor were to tour the facility is it clear that there is low risk of mixing materials? Conforming vs non conforming? The evidence we use is pest controls, temp RH controls, cleanliness of product, segregation of product. We use physical barriers for inventory and raw materials and finished goods as well as a reject room. If you can show you work area comfortably and its not cramped that a huge benefit to answer that challenge

Because each product and process is unique its not easy for a reviewer to claim "Thats not enough room for that" but a cramped workplace with water on the floor and dirt everywhere makes that claim easier.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Good day @qualprod ;
I believe you may have already answered your own questions by quoting the following...
""The organization shall determine the processes needed for the quality management system and their
application throughout the organization, and shall:"

Be selfish. Do what is beneficial to the organization. A process map (visualization of sequence, etc...) can be a very helpful tool...particularly when onboarding new associates. If that is a method you utilize, show what processes you wish to show, (if/as it benefits the organization) and then ...

"c) determine and apply the criteria and methods (including monitoring, measurements and related
performance indicators) needed "

It is up to the organization to "determine" and "...apply...as needed".
Remember, excluding what is needed does NOT benefit the organization so don't simply use these statement as a loophole to exclude what is "needed for the quality management system".

In regard to infrastructure, only your organization can determine the significance and any "...monitoring and measurement.." that may need applied. Regardless, don't overlook the fact that ISO 9001 does indeed speaks specifically to infrastructure (7.1.3) and the potentially related environment (7.1.4)

Summary:
Do for the ORGANIZATION (not the auditor) what is needed for management system effectiveness which should correlate (be "equal" to) the effectiveness of the organization.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
... the needs for infrastructure are minimal, also I don´t see the need to set a kpi to measure its performance.
I think you're answering your own question, at least while you're still starting with your QMS.

Just keep in mind that documenting a process is a valuable springboard for improvement. If you run across a non-conformity, or risk, related to "infrastructure", (and you will, eventually) think about whether it is one-off, or something that could recur. If you didn't before, document the process at that time as improvement action. As your system matures, it is likely you will find the process documentation getting more and more robust, and your quality better and better.

Randy

Super Moderator
You're looking too deep and getting confused, read the requirement again..
The requirements in 4.4.1 "The organization shall determine the processes needed for the quality management system and their application throughout the organization"
It says "processes needed for the quality management system"...Not everything within your 4 walls (or however many you might have)

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Document your management system to the extent necessary for effective planning, operation and improvement.

Avoid over documenting your system cuz it may: insult the intelligence of the system’s participants, cost a fortune to keep up to date and make essential information difficult to find.

Remember that several processes within the management system tend to grow detail and hardly any reduce detail. So, you could periodically review system documentation to confirm its value to the organization.

Never document any part of your management system just to keep your auditor happy!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Volunteer auditors: are they worth it? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
blackholequasar ISO 13485 certification prior to Medical Device Manufacturing... worth it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Is it worth already getting UKCA? UK Medical Device Regulations 2
G USAS ISO 9001 Certification, online is it worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J CEN/TR 17223:2018 Guidance on the relationship between13485 and MDR.. worth the money?? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
L 510 (K) Pre-Sub meeting - Does it worth? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
I AIAG 2018 Quality Summit - Is it worth it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Are online IATF 16949 training/certification worth the investment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
P ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional is the certification worth it? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Is it worth the effort to implement ISO 31000 Risk based on ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L The ink is dry(ing) on the revision of ISO 14001:2015. “Is the payoff worth the price Imported Legacy Blogs 0
somashekar ISO 13485. Is it worth to the Medical Device Industry. Imported Legacy Blogs 0
L Dale Carnegie course in UK - Is it worth it? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Are Refurbished Laptops worth buying? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
D Have my CQE - Is it worth "backfilling" other Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
M AIAG Membership Consideration - Worth It? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
I New AIAG CQI guidelines published - Are they worth buying? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Is the AIAG IMDS Summit Productive - Worth the time/investment? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
J Is ASQ CQM/OE web-based training worth it? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L RAPS (Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society) books - Are they worth it? Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
B Are Premium LinkedIn accounts worth the investment? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
O NET-INSPECT is it worth it? Small Machine Shop doing AS9100 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
H AS9101D Microsoft Word Format: Worth It? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Occupational Hazard....is it worth ? Imported Legacy Blogs 3
N The Worth and Value of Certifications and Degrees Career and Occupation Discussions 15
B 15 Things Worth Remembering Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
J AIAG Membership worth it or not? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D Advancing in a Career - HELP!! Is it worth it? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Wes Bucey What's this job worth? Career and Occupation Discussions 20
J Quality Manager Exam Reference Material that would be Worth the Investment Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
B ISO/TS 16949 - What's it worth? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Chennaiite What is the loss? A guy buys a chocolate from a shop worth 80 YEN Brain Teasers and Puzzles 20
S Packaged ISO Systems - Are canned policies and procedures worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 49
E Hypothesis Test - Determining if a second wash is worth performing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Marc The end of the road for U.S. carmakers? Are the Big Three worth saving? World News 27
K Are Online Universities worth to join or scam? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
S TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) - Ideas worth spreading Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
T Does a years worth of prototype manufacturing "count" for TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q Old machine (Mitutoyo Qualimate DL-500) for SPC - Is it Worth the effort? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
BradM The Legality of Business Documents - Is all the trouble worth it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
C How do you measure your contribution? How do you measure your worth? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
V Classes to take for AS9100 around the Fort Worth, TX area Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Wes Bucey Test of English in International Communication (TOEIC) - Worth $65? Benchmarking 1
G Fundamentals of Color and Appearance - Seminar with Nick Lena - Worth the cost? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
S Salary assessment: What am I worth to my company? Career and Occupation Discussions 18
Marc Robot Finds Treasure Estimated To Be Worth $10 Billion on Robinson Crusoe Island World News 0
G Wood Chain of Custody Certification - Is this worth doing? What does it cost? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12