Is Kappa Study Required during PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)?

Ramani Parthasarathy

Starting to get Involved
Hi,
Kappa study is time consuming as far as sample selection is concerned,can anybody let me know if this study is required during PPAP.

thanks in advance
Ramani.Parthasarathy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't know if it's required but I do know that is useful. It is worth the time to understand your measurement error including the error of inspectors or test equipment that make categorical judgments.

P

Pazuzu - 2009

I've gone through the 4th edition of the PPAP manual and nowhere is the Kappa study mentioned. Although it is a good idea to find where the comparisons are...no it is not required.

CAVEAT ALERT! There are many other Covers in here with vastly superior PPAP knowledge that may state otherwise. If so I'd be interested in knowing about it.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi,
Kappa study is time consuming as far as sample selection is concerned,can anybody let me know if this study is required during PPAP.

thanks in advance
Ramani.Parthasarathy
Kappa isn't required explicitly, but some form of attributes gage study is required for any attributes gages cited on your control plan. Check with your customer and find out what's expected.

D

DDaenen1

First of all, what do you mean with "kappa-study"? Do you refer to the Measurement System Analysis Study (PPAP item 8) or to the Initial Process Study (PPAP item 11).

I don't know which PPAP Manuals some of you are reading, but both items need to be fullfilled to get full PPAP approval. A Gage R is mandatory for attributive measuring equipment, Gage R&R is required for variable measurement equipment. As far as sample selection goes for the MSA, you should randomly take a number of parts from your production line, no proper selection need to be done apart from ensuring they are OK-parts. The study will show if the variation is to be found in your products or in your operators.

Without proper GR&R, you cannot do a proper Initial process study anyways.

As far as the initial process study goes, this needs to be completed for all significant characteristics that have been identified on your product/process. If you do not have any SC's , than i would wonder if a proper component review was conducted.

If we are talking initial process study, there should also be no "sample selection". The standard requirement is that you collect a significant amount of OK-parts (>50) from your [email protected] and use these to conduct the the capability study.

So basically, yes, according to PPAP 4th edition, both items need to be fullfilled.

Hope this helps,

Dominique

Last edited by a moderator:
R

roland_lu

I finally got out of automotive industry half year ago. Hopefully I would not have to return to it.

Sample selection is very much troublesome for attribute gaue study. It is easy to make "black/white" calls when the samples are white or black, and the study is more concerned about how the measurement system makes calls on the "grey". So the boundary samples are needed, quite often you will have to make them on purpose (not taking them from the normal production process, that is for sure). When you are doing PPAP for Ford, and you have new attribute gauges, for instance, you would need to have 50 samples ( :mg:), 3 appraisers to make 3 calls on each sample, you would really appreciate this kind of paper exercises.:mad:

I hope people (customers) understand what they are talking about.

Good Luck!

anandqgp

Involvement Access - Posts
Dear friend

I dont think you should be confused so much. Is the aim to comply with a documentation requirement or the aim is to retain the customer for a long time. Well if the aim is retain your customer for ever, then you should do every thing right.

Talking about Kappa. If you are not making any attribute studies, then KAPPA is not required since for variation study you need only GRR studies. The moment your variation becomes Operator dependent then Kappa comes in.

Have you ever thought about what MSA studies are and what its purpose is. Its purpose is simply to find out the Variation spread consumed in the process variation. You are aware about the limit i.e., 0-30%. The more the area it occupies in the process spread, the worse the impression the customer has about your company. Perhaps this could be another case Type I error.

This termite like "Spread Absorption" by the measurement system of the process variation needs to be reduced or eliminated. This termite consists of Operator variation and/or Gage variation.

So if you are interested to eliminate the TERMITE hurting the process and your business, you will welcome doing KAPPA every time there is need for doing so.

I hope your question is answered. If not,you may come back since all such forums are both-way learning processes.:nopity:

HS Anand

T

terranceyu

Hello guys, I am newly joined in QA Engineering filed, and actually completed the attribute GRR study based on the thumb pressure. However it has variance to every operators. When the inspectors tested the samples developed by myself and another engineer, it seems to have a lot of unmatchness. The same condition also applied to the inspectors who possessed on hand knowledge for almost 3 years. Is it mean they are not qualified, or the sample standard is simply too tight and not reasonable. I think it is reasonable tough..:cool:

And when comes to kappa study at page 2, how am I going to proceed, since we have three appraisers at page 1, but only two appraisers column (A and B) to filled? I attached the file for your better understanding.
I hope my questions could be answered.

Talk to me.

Regards,
Terrance

Attachments

Kappa isn't required explicitly, but some form of attributes gage study is required for any attributes gages cited on your control plan. Check with your customer and find out what's expected.
First, you need to review your control plan to see if you have any attribute test and monitoring to be done. If it is part of your quality control plan, then next ask the customer if he requires Attribute GR&R to be performed and by which method should you use and report it.

Kappa is only one of a couple Attribute GR&R methods.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Cohen's Kappa Study - is it required during PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Inspection Capability Study (Kappa Analysis / Attribute R&R) as Certification Req't Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
A Need help with a Kappa Study (MSA) - Reviewing x-ray Images Six Sigma 11
J Ordinal Data Gage Study - Kappa scores vs. Kendell?s Coefficient Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J What kappa value to use for Gage R+R (Gage R&R) study with > 10 parts? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Attribute MSA Study using Kappa - Why Kappa value is low Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
J How to do attribute data GR&R (Gage R&R)? Do a Kappa study or follow the MSA book? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Visual Attribute Inspector Capability and KAPPA Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C MSA-4 Attribute Kappa Template - Verification Check Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Attribute GRR (Gage R&R) - How to get Kappa Software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K The 'Cohen's kappa' method to evaluate degree of consensus between visual operator Six Sigma 9
S Attribute GRR - Cross tab - Kappa - What does "Expected Count" mean? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Marc MSA Spreadsheet in Spanish - Cohen kappa method (circa 2006) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Measurement System Analysis - Attribute GRR - How kappa is calculated Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Attribute R&R assessment results vs. Kappa = different conclusions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
V To formulate an Excel .xls worksheet for MSA on attribute data using Kappa Analysis Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 14
J KAPPA Statistic - Comparing appraisers ratings to a known standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Study sign off question / responsibilities ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
M ISO 9001:2015 case study sample ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Case study help as per ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Case study resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A CE Mark and PMCF study EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Gauge Study for Small Lots Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K IATF & Attribute Study requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
L ASQ CBA biomedical auditor - CBA primer material is enough to study? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
M Brazil forced degradation study requirements Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
P RAC-US Spring 2020 Study group_Discussions Professional Certifications and Degrees 15
M Custom Medical Device For Clinical Study Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
R PMCF plan to justify that our product not require PMCF study EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E How much a bioequivalence study will cost in the UK Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
N MSA Study for a Leak Testing Device Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
Prashant G MSA Study - AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
Ajit Basrur How do I label this commercial product ready for clinical study? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
H Safety and efficacy study for CE marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1