Is KPI in Process Valid if not supported by Procedures?

Q

QAMTY

Hello to all
In redefining kpis for HR process in Iso 9001 2008.
Is it valid to set as kpi absenteeism or staff turnover even if in procedures it is only mentioned the competence and training?
When set,it would be useful for the monitoring of the personnel, however how to relate these kpis to clauses in case on nonconformities?
Pleased feed me back
Thanks

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
I don't really see how having procedures has any impact on KPI's, it is about results. The name is the clue - key PERFORMANCE indicators. By the way, ISO 9001:2008 doesn't mention KPI's.

The only time to ask about procedures would be if the results were not as expected. Then you might look for the reassons behind the low performance.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Colin
Yes I know, kpi it is a name we usually use.
So in order to comply with clauses, I may use kpis,which dont have a real relation with what we look or expect into the procedure? that is to measure a process,but process are defined in procedures.
The doubt persists,could I define absenteeism as kpi,if is not mentioned in procedures nor in the standard?
Please explain in more detail
Thanks again

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Since not everything needs a procedure (how does one write a procedure for for controlling absenteeism?) there is no need to have connectivity between a procedure and KPI. This is especially true since KPIs can change more frequently than procedures, for example if we want to improve our performance by "tightening" the target in KPI.

You could absolutely define absenteeism as a KPI, but a set of human resource initiatives might better suit your needs than a procedure, because absenteesim can take place for many reasons.

A KPI should reflect the ability/extent to perform, so they should be crafted with care: they should be capable of being impacted by interventions. If absenteeism leads to nonconformities because tasks were performed by incompetent persons when the main person was absent, cross training/competency building might be a successful intervention to improve the error rate.

To summarize: Absenteeism is an issue. Lack of competency is a risk that could be enabled or made worse by the absenteeism issue. Both can be addressed, but with different approaches.

Q

QAMTY

Thank you so much Colin, now it is clear.
I really apreciate your input

Top Bottom